Any slam poets?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
aaa1234
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aaa1234.html

Re: Any slam poets?

Post by aaa1234 »

Cannot beat Shakespeare although technically he is a playwright.
Gustavsson
Currently Reading: A Darker Shade of Magic
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gustavsson.html

Post by Gustavsson »

I've never been to a slam poetry meeting or whatever you would call them, but what I've seen of slam poetry online is really good. It tends to hit me deeper when spoken than it would on a page.
HoneyB
Currently Reading: The Law of Moses
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honeyb.html
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone

Post by HoneyB »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:umm... what is slam poetry?
If you'd be interested, read Colleen Hoover's book called Slammed - it is a New Adult/YA contemporary romance type, but a touching/emotional story. Anyway, this girl moves with her family to a whole new place after her father died. She meets her new neighbor and they click. He introduces her to slam poetry - it has some really great examples in the book. It's on my bookshelf as a 4 star book. Also, Point of Retreat (has a hilarious and brilliant little girl in the second story and more slam poetry - I'd say even better than the first book), and This Girl are the three books in the series.
A book is a device to ignite the imagination.
~Alan Bennett
Latest Review: "The Whisper of Time" by Ute Carbone
spablo_94
Currently Reading: Redeployment
Bookshelf Size: 317
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spablo-94.html

Post by spablo_94 »

I remember writing a slam poem for my English class. I liked reading other people's slam poems than make my own. During my senior year in high school my professor in English invited his former student, which is now a professional slam poet and have already published his own book of slam poems, to our class. He was so good, that's why I now like slam poems.
RStone
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rstone.html
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami

Post by RStone »

I'm intrigued and love watching the videos. One thing I've really noticed is that poems that might not be brilliant on the page are really able to come alive when performed and become brilliant. I've done some poetry readings, but they were less energy and more recitation than what I imagine a poetry slam to be. I went to an open mic once, and that was… well, not great. There was a regular crowd and they weren't too welcoming, so I've not looked elsewhere.
Latest Review: "Malevolent Shadows" by Abdul Sami

Return to “Poetry & Music”