VINYL RECORDS ARE BACK !

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: VINYL RECORDS ARE BACK !

Post by suzy1124 »

Bighuey wrote:Ive heard those scratch eliminators they use on old records when they transfer them to CD's and most sound terrible, like water draining out of a bathtub. The hiss and pops make them sound more realistic.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

right you are B.H.!
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
saviolo
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saviolo.html
Latest Review: Happiness is All We Want! by Ashutosh Mishra

Post by saviolo »

There's also a clever commercial aspect:

CD's were always just a very functional way of storing and delivering music.They were too small to be very interesting themselves. Downloads have taken the place of that.

On the other hand, Vinyl is itself a collector item. You can download a pirate version of Bat of of Hell. But you won't have the original blood red pressing with picture sleeve. If people want to buy music on a physical medium to collect Vinyl is just more valuable than silvery plastic.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Ive heard that CD's are going out of style. Its all online now. I get a lot of music online, but I put it on CD's in case the computer crashes and I lose it all. So for me it amounts to the same thing as buying the original CD. They take a lot less storage space than records, thats for sure. I liked vinyl better but anymore its too clunky and space consuming.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Check out Sir Paul's latest on VINYL! 8)

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Paul McCartney? I heard he was made a Sir. Ive got a couple old Beatles on vinyl, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band and their 1962-66 album and Rubber Soul on a 8-track tape. I had their white double album I got from a thrift store, but it was so worn out it wouldnt hardly play.

Theres a place you can get records called Discount Oldies. They have a pretty good selection. I ordered a Elvis at Sun CD from them and they sent a record instead. It was crap, it kept skipping even on two record players, one with a new needle.and the sound quality was lousy. It was a brand new record too. I sent it back and got the CD instead. If these new records are all like that, I sure dont want them.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Hi B.H.!....I'm sure the new ones are better..........today is Ringo's birthday, would you believe 73!...

I remember them on the Ed Sullivan show as if it was yesterday...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Hi Suzy. Good to have you back. I remember the first time I heard the Beatles. It was on a car radio while driving to work. I wasnt sure if I liked them or not, but after a while I found most of their earlier stuff was pretty good. Some of the later stuff wasnt so hot, mostly about drugs and other weird crap, but for the most part I liked them.

Maybe new records are OK, but as much as I liked vinyl, I wouldnt want to go back to it. Too awkward and hard to use and store compared to CD's and flash drive sticks. I guess Im getting lazy in my old age. :lol:
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I've always loved their music...........conversely,

I was never a big fan of Elvis back then, but realized later what a truly wonderful voice he had.........

I think I was swayed by his " cheap looks " between his crooked smile / snarl and his " greaseball " hair, I thought : " Priscilla, you can have him ! "

same w/Streisand, love her voice if I don't have to look at her!...heeeeheeee...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Elvis had a unique voice, thats for sure. After he died all you heard was Elvis, Elvis, Elvis for about two years and I got sick of him. Lately Ive been listening to some of his stuff, his greatest hits double album and his early Sun recordings.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Bighuey wrote:Elvis had a unique voice, thats for sure. After he died all you heard was Elvis, Elvis, Elvis for about two years and I got sick of him. Lately Ive been listening to some of his stuff, his greatest hits double album and his early Sun recordings.
I agree re the " uniqueness " of his voice............most great singers share that quality of being instantly recognizable....

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
MamaBookAddict
Favorite Author: Too many to name
Favorite Book: Too many to name
Currently Reading: The Beautiful Ashes by jeaniene Frost
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamabookaddict.html

Post by MamaBookAddict »

I still have lots of records and a record player. Beatles, Elton John, Charlie Daniels, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Skynryd, The Who....quite a few more. Its funny. When my oldest boys were younger (they are 18 and 24 now), Id play Freebird and they hated it. Would go running out of the room. They also asked where the laser was LMAO. But now, what do they listen to? Beatles and Hendrix and Led Zepplin ect....guess mom's 'old fogie music' wasnt as bad as they thought!
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen.
Winston Churchill
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

MamaBookAddict wrote:I still have lots of records and a record player. Beatles, Elton John, Charlie Daniels, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zepplin, Skynryd, The Who....quite a few more. Its funny. When my oldest boys were younger (they are 18 and 24 now), Id play Freebird and they hated it. Would go running out of the room. They also asked where the laser was LMAO. But now, what do they listen to? Beatles and Hendrix and Led Zepplin ect....guess mom's 'old fogie music' wasnt as bad as they thought!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I can relate! funny isn't it.. " our " music has stood the test of time, it really is for all ages...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
TiffanyJade
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyjade.html
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis

Post by TiffanyJade »

They are commercially back now and considered "cool" again which I think is great. I love the richer sound they give. My grandfather had a gorgeous rose wood player which has been very well loved and it is nice to be able to get my hands on vinyl more easily.
Latest Review: "Whispers of a Soul" by Chantal Emmenis
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

sounds good!... it is said that if you wait long enough most things come back in " style "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Ive got the original Columbia 78 RPM 6 record album recordings of Norman Corwin's On A Note Of Triumph from 1945. It was a radio program broadcast when Germany surrendered. Very dramatic presentation about the war. The records are kind of scratchy but still playable. Ive got the same thing on a CD that has no scratches or noise, but somehow the original sounds more realistic. Those are ones I will always keep. The few records I have I wont get rid of, one is Dave Brubeck's Time Out album, some Judy Garland records, one which is very rare, only 200 copies were made. I also have Edward R. Murrow's I Can Hear It Now records and a Man With The Golden Arm soundtrack album and some albums that were special to my wife. Those I will never get rid of even if I dont have a record player.

Return to “Poetry & Music”