VINYL RECORDS ARE BACK !

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

VINYL RECORDS ARE BACK !

Post by suzy1124 »

Hot new trend!...still have my turntable...for me the " sound " of LP records trumps digital... no contest!

What do you think ?
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

Well, if you like lower highs, higher lows, more background noise and less clarity of reproduction, then analog vinyl recording may be the sound for you. I resisted CDs myself - until about 25 years ago.

Vinyl LPs are not "back", they never fully left, there have been releases over the years. they are not coming back either. For one, there is a serious lack of playback equipment among the consuming audience. You note you "still" have your turntable; in the current audio marketplace it is very hard to find a quality home use turntable. I've been trying to replace a direct-drive 12" platter turntable for about a year. Sure they are out there in a few places , but they are very pricey.

If the end-user does not already own a turntable, they are not buying any LPs.

I probably have 7 or 8 linear feet of vinyl recordings; I can't think what would make me buy more.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

You can still get records and record players from the oldies website. I liked records, but they take up too much space for me. Ive got a 1970's Zenith record player-8 track combination outfit and a few records, but I never play it anymore. I disconnected the record player and hooked my TV up to it for surround sound, it works great that way. True, CD's dont have the sound quality, but they are more convenient. Actually, I think what had the best sound quality were 8-track tapes and reel-to-reel tapes. The sad thing about tapes is that they self-destruct after a few years.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

"CD's dont have the sound quality ...I think what had the best sound quality were 8-track tapes "

You're joking right?

What is it about CD sound quality, which, as I note above is able to reproduce higher highs and lower lows with less noise than LPs or consumer magnetic tapes that you don't like?

And what is it about 8-tracks with their 3 3/4 ips tape speed, 4 different stereo tracks crammed side by side on 1/4" tape and big clunky track changes that makes them the best?

"The sad thing about tapes is that they self-destruct after a few years." I have open reel tapes that I recorded at 7.5 ips thrity years ago that replay just fine now. If I had been able to afford (what were they) 10 or 11 inch reels at a recording speed og `15, I'd have been in hog heaven.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

It seems to me they have more distortion than records and tapes. Also cassette and 8 tracks tapes after a few years disintigrate and wont play. Its happened to me many times, and I have taken good care of them. Im not too familiar with reel-to-reel tapes, altho I have some that seem to play OK that came out in the 60's. Ive got a Sony reel-to-reel outfit I bought in 61 or 62 that still works. At least it did last time I used it a couple years ago. True, 8 tracks were clunky and sometimes they would double-track and had a nasty habit habit of turning into bird nests but the sound quality was great. Im not saying I dont like CD's, I have many and enjoy them very much for the fact that they are easy to store and to operate. I just think tapes sounded better than CD's.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

If you compare measurable distortion of various playback media, usually available with performance specification of the audio component, you will find that CDs in fact have the least distortion of available consumer media.

You are hearing what you want to hear. But hey! You're the one listening. I have a friend who hoards 8-track tapes in the hope that one day he will buy a new player. (I and his other friends laugh about this, but not behind his back.)

From the $1,000 stereo system I pieced together in 1973, I have one component left, the JVC open reel.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I suppose its what a person is used to. I had scads of 8-track and cassettes but I transfered most of them to CD's and got rid of them.

I wish I could transfer my VHS tapes to DVD, they are definitly out of date, big and clunky and take up too much room. I heard of devices that will do that through a computer but I doubt if they would do blocked ones.
FNAWrite

Post by FNAWrite »

When the DVD change first took hold, there was a small business in transferring tape to disc. I don't know what the rate was, but someone probably still does it.

I probably have 2-3 dozen - I kept my non-digital televsion and VCR so I still can watch "The Black Adder Christmas" every year.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Ive got about 100 tapes, but I only want to transfer maybe 20 or so and get rid of the rest. Ive seen those VCR to DVD recorders, but most everyone says they dont work very good.

I just looked up this one thing on a website, theres a thing you can do it through your computer. A small device that plugs in between your VCR and computer. The prices vary, there was one for 10 dollars and another for 40 dollars. It sounds kind of suspicious, especially the 10 dollar one.
shar19

Post by shar19 »

I still have a few records. Funny thing is that my kids have no idea what a record player is. Now I feel really old. :shock:
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Same here. Records were around for 70 years or so. Tapes didnt last near that long. it makes you wonder how long CD's will be around and what is next.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:Same here. Records were around for 70 years or so. Tapes didnt last near that long. it makes you wonder how long CD's will be around and what is next.
When CD's were launched the big deal was that they were said to be "indestructible" ... what a load of rubbish that was. I have CD's that are scratched and unplayable :(
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I do too Fran. No matter how careful you are with them, they still get scratched. Im thinking of putting my music on sticks, but they arent permanent either. After a while they wear out and dont work anymore. The experts say all they are good for is to transfer stuff from one computer to another.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Bighuey wrote:I do too Fran. No matter how careful you are with them, they still get scratched. Im thinking of putting my music on sticks, but they arent permanent either. After a while they wear out and dont work anymore. The experts say all they are good for is to transfer stuff from one computer to another.
Yea they get damaged very, very easily. My niece has her college work save on one of those usb sticks & it broke off in the laptop - right job to get it out without damaging the laptop. I guess absolutely nothing is totally safe.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

That happened to my brother-in-law with his internet stick. One of his grandkids tried to swing from it. What I did with mine is put a 6 inch cable extension on it and its a lot safer. The end that goes into the computer is flexible and wont break off.

Return to “Poetry & Music”