Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

amen jamir
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amen-jamir.html
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
fav_author_id: 2379

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by amen jamir »

I do believe poets are inborn but it will be a bonus to introduce to them the different forms of poetry as a teenager.
Latest Review: "Immoral Society (Book One)" by Catherine Hudson
Karen Lau
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Karen Lau »

At their age, It's more important to introduce the many forms of literature, whether it is short stories, poetry or plays. And mould their thoughts and train them to look Into the different aspects of life, human relations and thoughts.
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

I think teenagers who want to write poetry will always write it. A lot of us discovered poetry more or less by accident, and as a teen it's a really great way to vent. It would have been nice to be educated in poetry (well-versed in verse, if you will) so I would have actually known what I was doing though! A technical education would be informative and useful for most school kids, but especially helpful for the budding poets among them. You can certainly write without that kind of training, but it saves you from reinventing the wheel, so to speak. Plus, once you know the rules, you can break them in more interesting ways (and not just out of ignorance).
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
dhaller
Currently Reading: The Moral Arc
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhaller.html
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson

Post by dhaller »

I think the only way to understand poetry is to write it. Or at least to try to write it. Knowing about symbolism and themes can't teach you how to feel what the author was feeling when they wrote the poem, and I think that's a large part of a poem's purpose. As Stephen King said, writing is telepathy.

As to whether or not you can teach someone how to write a poem, I think that any art can be taught. Yeah, some people will be naturals and some won't, but you have to learn somehow.

Also, just because I saw this mentioned, Math is an art. At least if you're good enough at it. Some of the better proofs are nothing short of works of art.
Latest Review: "Off to See the Wizard" by Clay Johnson
dancingpinkpony
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingpinkpony.html

Post by dancingpinkpony »

I agree with most of the things that are being said on this post. However, I believe that all teenagers should be given the tools to write poetry. The art of poetry is extremely important. Especially in this time and age.
SDB314
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sdb314.html

Post by SDB314 »

I believe that you should learn about poetry in school, but not graded on your ideal - but rather, that you are following the style requested.
wondamom321

Post by wondamom321 »

I believe that young children should read poetry and we shouldn't wait until a child is a teenager to teach them to write poetry. When learning how to rhyme, describing objects and even explaining what happened children should begin writing poetry. They may not have a great understanding of poetry but should try writing it even if as a means of expressing themselves.
A_Choyka
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-choyka.html

Post by A_Choyka »

Poetry is part of history. It's something that few can write effectively, but most can appreciate it. I, personally, was horrible at writing it. I did love learning about it and interpreting it with my classmates. It's funny how one line or poem can mean one thing to you, but to someone else it means something totally different. To take that out of the classroom would deprive the students of tapping into a different mindset, blocking their full creativity. Poetry allows a person to express themselves in a way that they wouldn't normally do.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I agree with those who say that poetry cannot be taught. It's one of those things that you have the knack for or you don't. However, teens should be exposed to poetry and schooled in the different styles of poetry. And of course, they should be encouraged to try their hand at it, as well. All of the poems I wrote in high school were terrible, but I was grateful for the knowledge and the opportunity to try it out for myself.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
jessicamarie
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessicamarie.html

Post by jessicamarie »

I think poetry should be taught in schools because it is such an important part of literature. It is a great form of expression, and I support any sort of encouragement to keep art in schools. I do think the way poetry is taught can be problematic especially when there is a grade attached to a student's poems. Many students are not interested in poetry or do not feel comfortable writing something they feel has to be so personal. I think discouraging those who make a sincere effort (by giving them an upsetting grade) is harmful to the art form as a whole.
joanofarc2015
Favorite Author: J.K Rowling
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joanofarc2015.html
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad

Post by joanofarc2015 »

i totally believe teenagers should learn how to write poetry...man has expressed their ideas, culture, and lifestyle through poetry for ages and i think we should encourage teens to do such too...
it gives them a way to let out teen blues like peer pressure, bullying anecdotes, family distance or drama etc.
they may even discuss social issues through poetry
i also think poetry will become a fad for them especially since its related to song writing. i consider ed sheeran and taylor swift successful once-teen poets who are rich too :lol:
Latest Review: "Philia and Sophia : The book of love and wisdom" by nikitha hingad
berrueta268
Currently Reading: Yakuza Moon: Memoirs of a Gangster's Daughter

Post by berrueta268 »

Yes, poetry is therapeutic and creates art with words. It is fluid and beautiful, everyone should be taught at least how to read it
TheMusician24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-themusician24.html

Post by TheMusician24 »

Its like music, you can only force someone (teenager) to practice it for so long, until they either love it or quit. Coming from a musician and a poet, these cannot be forced, you have to love what you do to enjoy and really thrive, otherwise there is not a lot of purpose in forcing them to learn.....I agree that is can be a good way to introduce or teach, but it has to be a personal decision.
Rebelpoet
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebelpoet.html

Post by Rebelpoet »

I think teenagers need to be taught to express themselves and not be afraid to. Too many think poetry requires being smart and I remember school lessons studying a poem, analysing it which I still think is boring and unnecessary.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

A Teenager's Lament

Mom is yelling all the time
Dad won't give me half a dime
My iPod needs a battery
AND YOU WANT ME TO WRITE POETRY ?

Got bigger problems on my mind
They smack of the romantic kind
She said "Screw off, I must be free."

The skateboard tourney is next week
To be champion is what I seek
And I must practice for this is to be
BUT YOU WANT ME TO WRITE POETRY ?

Take out the trash and mow the grass
Wash the car and all the rest
"Fail Driver's ed. and no car for you!"
Music lessons, homework due
Feed the cat and dump the litter
Then they wonder why I'm bitter
I TELL YA I DON'T HAVE TIME TO PEE !

OK, I did my level best
To write this stinking awful mess
Now go away and let me be
FOR I HAVE WRITTEN POETRY !
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Poetry & Music”