Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

qzect
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-qzect.html

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by qzect »

While I do think that poetry is an art, I think that the right guidance can bring out the ability in anyone. If they are dedicated and passionate enough, they can develop the skills necessary to write the most beautiful poetry. I think that, especially in this day and age, kids are used to writing shorthand and using emoticons to express themselves. They simply use a different set of verbal tools to communicate. If given the chance and taught how to structure great poetry, we could encourage many individuals of the younger generation to find themselves in poetry. We may have fantastic poets in our midsts. They just might not know they have it in them.
Lycaonia

Post by Lycaonia »

Poetry isn't a matter of skill, it is a matter of talent, and thought. It isn't truly something you can teach. You could introduce students to a variety of poetry, but whether or not they pick up the trade should be left to them. Educational time in school should focus on more important matters, that aren't easily self-taught.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

qzect wrote:While I do think that poetry is an art, I think that the right guidance can bring out the ability in anyone. If they are dedicated and passionate enough, they can develop the skills necessary to write the most beautiful poetry. I think that, especially in this day and age, kids are used to writing shorthand and using emoticons to express themselves. They simply use a different set of verbal tools to communicate. If given the chance and taught how to structure great poetry, we could encourage many individuals of the younger generation to find themselves in poetry. We may have fantastic poets in our midsts. They just might not know they have it in them.

Yes I agree

Vermont Reviews

:D
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
elvislmadison

Post by elvislmadison »

As an educator, I truly believe that each person has a story to tell. The best way to tell a story is with a pen and paper. Fortunately, many teens are writing their poetry in the form of song lyrics, but we need to teach them how to better share their stories for all to love.
jerrywuchte
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by jerrywuchte »

I taught 8th grade Language Arts and there is very little in the Common Core standards for teaching poetry. After testing I gave the students an opportunity to write poems and it turned out to be one of the best assignments of the year as far as student engagement. Out of about 80 students a dozen or more actually write poetry in their spare time and had journals they were eager to share.
Yani
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yani.html

Post by Yani »

Yeah. Of course. It can cool down an extreme emotion and might serve as an outlet of fears and despair which are common teenage issues. I can't imagine a scenario where writing poetry can get a teenager into trouble.
alimsj827
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alimsj827.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by alimsj827 »

I agree with a lot of you. Simply teaching poetry in school can excite and inspire many to continue with the art. I mean, some teens will definitely hate it. But I feel with that they will at the least gain an appreciation for those who can and do write such beautiful pieces.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
treo17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-treo17.html

Post by treo17 »

Yes, absolutely. Poetry helps relieve the angst of adolescence, and can help teenagers understand themselves in relation to the world. At least, it did for me!
WickedKitty
Currently Reading: Cat's Cradle
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wickedkitty.html
Latest Review: "Camp Hell" by Allen Stanfill
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by WickedKitty »

Yes, it's a good way to express yourself. I know when I was a teen, I expressed myself through poetry since I couldn't do it verbally.
Latest Review: "Camp Hell" by Allen Stanfill
AutumnPhillips
Favorite Author: Thomas Harris
Bookshelf Size: 2
fav_author_id: 2793

Post by AutumnPhillips »

As someone who is currently a teenager, I think that this is an important idea... Honestly, I think it should be mandatory for poetry to be taught in a way that inspires kids to keep writing poems. There's currently a lot of push for kids to write stories in book form, but not for poetry... and poetry has a lot of advantages that other story-telling devices don't.
christi3louise
Currently Reading: Red Queen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christi3louise.html

Post by christi3louise »

I would have liked to have been given some basic understanding of how poetry works - the mechanics of it - when I was in school. Writing poetry has always been something that I've wanted to do and I do firmly believe that although you definitely just have to have the right knack for it, you also should know things like rhyme, meter etc. in order to have a chance of writing well!
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

AutumnPhillips wrote:As someone who is currently a teenager, I think that this is an important idea... Honestly, I think it should be mandatory for poetry to be taught in a way that inspires kids to keep writing poems. There's currently a lot of push for kids to write stories in book form, but not for poetry... and poetry has a lot of advantages that other story-telling devices don't.
When I was a teenager, we were taught more about academic than creative writing--is that still the situation? We had an annual book printed that had creative writing--mostly poetry and short stories--done by class members, but that writing was done on our own time, not in school.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
sabrinanicole2010

Post by sabrinanicole2010 »

Yes I believe it is important for there english vocab
Martina_Reads
Currently Reading: Mindfulness
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-martina-reads.html

Post by Martina_Reads »

I'm not sure you can really teach someone to write poetry, but you can expose teenagers to poetry and show them how poetry can be used to communicate ideas and feelings. My children were taught about literature, including poetry, and two are musicians who write their own songs and the other is a writer. Each of them took what they learned in school and applied it in their lives.
sourav15
Currently Reading: Percy Jackson: Heroes of Olympus
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sourav15.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by sourav15 »

Something like poetry can't be taught. I firmly believe that a control and understanding of any language comes from exposure and experience. The more we read, we get to know about styles, how to implement those styles so that it won't be too flashy and also in our sub-conscious mind we slowly build up our own style.

Like to speak, we need to listen first, same way to write on your own you need to read first. What schools can do is to provide a great exposure for the children..
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Return to “Poetry & Music”