Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

It should be taught. Even if students are bad at writing them they should at least have the opportunity to have tried their hand at it.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
CCtheBrave
Favorite Author: Jorge Luis Borges
Currently Reading: Under Wildwood
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccthebrave.html
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2819

Post by CCtheBrave »

Fran wrote:I agree a poet is born with a talent but the nuts and bolts of poetry can and IMO should be taught. You might say we have more musicians that we can shake a stick at but does that mean we should not teach music? The purpose of education is to draw out and develope inate talents and to foster their development. How would I, for example, know what a sonnet is or the characteristics of a sonnet if I hadn't learned it in school. Knowing what it is and the characteristics of a sonnet does not, of course, make me a poet!
I completely agree with you, and you said it all very well. People (including teenagers) should be exposed to art, music, poetry, etc. at a young age. It helps them learn to articulate what they like, what they don't like, it helps push their boundaries, exposes them to new ideas and mediums of expression.

There are so many secondary benefits to teaching children and teens the arts.
read well and write bravely
Latest Review: "Wild Ozark Nature Journal" by Madison Woods
Ramona
Favorite Author: Too many...
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramona.html
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Ramona »

I think the elements of how to write poetry should be taught and I don't think it should even wait until a person is a teenager. I started writing poetry when I was in third or fourth grade when our teacher encouraged us to do so. I don't think that talent is the prerequisite for deciding whether one should be taught how to write poetry or not. I think all children should be exposed to how to write it, just as I firmly believe that all children should be taught the rudiments of music. Then if a person has a talent for writing poetry and has the desire to do so, he or she can run with it. The same holds true for music. But if one is never exposed to those things like writing, music, drawing, painting, etc., then perhaps those talents might never come to light. And even if the talent isn't the greatest, but the person has fun and fulfillment with on some level, then it is worth it all.
Numbers 6:24-26 The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
Latest Review: "My Life In The Dirt: Adventures Of A Suburban Organic Farmer" by J. Don Bell
kdanielleh
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kdanielleh »

Absolutely! The best way to understand what we read is to think like a writer when we read. Also, poetry is such a great way to explore human emotion, and, in turn, such a great way to express human emotions as writers. I have had some struggling writers in my room who blossomed when able to write poetry.
taniaorellana
Currently Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taniaorellana.html

Post by taniaorellana »

For me, teenagers deserve to know about poetry and how to create it. However, I don't think it should be seen as some skill used to let all the words flow peacefully, but as a way to express ourselves or make something even more beautiful (let's not forget about literary devices!).
DarkestbeforeDawn
Currently Reading: The Idiot
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darkestbeforedawn.html
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank

Post by DarkestbeforeDawn »

On principle, I don't believe that poetry is truly any skill. I think it is a matter of expressing a subject that connects with a reader. The only way to teach poetry is to show the different methods of expression and execution which can be spring boards to other things. Poetry is the most shapeless and indescribable things out there.
Latest Review: "Padanaram Village" by Jack Burbank
CzechTigg
Currently Reading: Free Fish Friday
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czechtigg.html
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor

Post by CzechTigg »

It sure can't hurt, and may be a great way for many to convey the troubling times that typify adolescence.
Latest Review: "Finding the Phoenix" by Caitlin O'Connor
bcmolina1983

Post by bcmolina1983 »

For me, I definitely think that teenagers should be taught. I was 12 when I discovered poetry and was tasked with writing my first poem for a class assignment, and it changed everything for me. Also, "POETRY" is subjective---some folks believe poetry follows a regimented standard and others don't. I truly think poetry could be a learning tool, especially if teenagers are allowed to look at poetry that is relevant to their lives or by someone they admire.

A great poetry book that most people don't know about is "A ROSE THAT GREW FROM CONCRETE" by Tupac Shakur, who was best known for his hip-hop/rap music but who was a trained dancer, spoken word artist, actor, and poet.
Michelle Stone

Post by Michelle Stone »

Poetry is the language of love, rage, sorrow, loss, joy, and hope to name but a few. Who better to write poetry than teenagers who are experiencing every angst life has to offer while hormones rage through their bodies. It makes them pretty eloquent. Give them the tools to harness all that.
rockandroll
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 772">Bleak House</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48

Post by rockandroll »

Yes definitely. Being exposed to different educational pursuits will have a positive influence for that student.
Matti
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-matti.html
Latest Review: "Wonders That We See: A Poetry Collection" by Crystal Harrell

Post by Matti »

Yes. Teaching poetry to students is extremely important, because students can be taught how to avoid cliche, something that is relevant in all forms of writing.
Latest Review: "Wonders That We See: A Poetry Collection" by Crystal Harrell
BookSavvy90
Currently Reading: Fangirl
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booksavvy90.html
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane

Post by BookSavvy90 »

I agree with some of the posters here. You shouldn't teach teach teenagers how to write poetry because it's not everybody's cup of tea. BUT there should be, like a special class that can teach aspiring poets to hone their skills and become better. This way they can not only learn but interact with those who share their love of poetry. It can also be therapeutic especially if the reason behind their writing poetry is related to mental illness such as depression. I have been there and know that just writing a few words down can make a huge difference. Teen years are already hard but for some knowing how to write a poem could make it a whole lot better. In fact knowing how to write a poem could be the thing that saves a teen's life. After all it saved me.
Latest Review: "The Saltwater Ghost" by Shiela Jane
hintofjam
Currently Reading: Free
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hintofjam.html

Post by hintofjam »

Fran wrote:I agree a poet is born with a talent but the nuts and bolts of poetry can and IMO should be taught. You might say we have more musicians that we can shake a stick at but does that mean we should not teach music? The purpose of education is to draw out and develope inate talents and to foster their development. How would I, for example, know what a sonnet is or the characteristics of a sonnet if I hadn't learned it in school. Knowing what it is and the characteristics of a sonnet does not, of course, make me a poet!
As a former English teacher in the grade school system, I believe all students should be taught how to write poetry. I definitely included it in my lessons. Talent plays a significant role in a person's creativity, but hard work in addition to the right lessons help in developing the skills for poetry's mechanics. Fran explains this idea well. Though talent does set the foundation, education draws out the innate ability so it can flourish.
MaroBenipayo

Post by MaroBenipayo »

of course! Poetry really is something that moves life. It can inspire & reach others through their words.
Becs Cherrington
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Becs Cherrington »

I think poetry should defiantly be taught in its different genres even thru lyrics to rap songs as it is a form of expression and if it is actively encouraged we might not have as many tortured souls as we do! It defiantly helped me but at the same time it should not be forced upon them.

Return to “Poetry & Music”