Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.

Do you think that poem writing requires skill?

Yes...
77%
No...
16%
I am not sure...
7%

Total votes: 229

H0LD0Nthere
Favorite Book: Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h0ld0nthere.html
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard

Re: Should teenagers be taught how to write poetry?

Post by H0LD0Nthere »

Well put, GliddenBooks.

I think poetry is like music. There are basics that must be mastered if you hope to do it passably (or at all), but of course there is a spectrum of aptitude and everyone falls somewhere along this spectrum, from being totally poetry-deaf to being a natural. Just as I think there is value in teaching the basics of music to people like myself who are not gifted musically, so I think there is value in teaching the basics of poetry to everyone, whether or not they have in them the seeds of greatness.

For one thing, when you know a little something about poetry you notice it and appreciate it more.

For another thing, many people have enough talent that they can do something well if given a little training, but not so much talent that it will burst out if they are never exposed to the discipline.

Also, many teenagers spontaneously write poetry. Dorothy Sayers called the teen years "The Poetic Stage" of a child's mental development. They are just discovering beauty and art, and are bursting with the desire for self-expression. Granted, most of the poetry they write is going to be inferior and self-absorbed ... but if they receive some training, it can be better than it otherwise would be, and those with aptitude will have a chance to develop their talents.
Latest Review: "Adventures in space & fiction fantasy" by Robin G Howard
FNAWrite
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by FNAWrite »

"I find poetry and music, among other things, to be an invaluable outlet for personal expression, which is needed throughout life, and a skill that is unknown to many"

So it is invaluable and yet at the same time unknown to many? Not invaluable to those folks, eh?

Music is an invaluable outlet for personal expression? According to the US Census, about 13% of Americans either sing or play a musical instrument. So the other 87% of the population should be poets?

Is it your contention that those who have not studied poetry or music have no or limited outlets for personal expression?
Mdawg

Post by Mdawg »

I feel schools should involve a poetry unit into curriculum just for the basic fact that the art should be known and continued. It isn't a skill you can just hand to someone but there is underlying concepts and basics to teach. Also there is ways to teach people to interpret poetry more effectively which schools should do.
RILENTLISS
Favorite Author: Mealea Mathews
Favorite Book: Great Expectations
Currently Reading: The Giver
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rilentliss.html
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
fav_author_id: 1967

Post by RILENTLISS »

I believe poetry to be nothing more than one of the many forms of expression available to humanity. As far as teens are concerned, what with all the stress of growing up, new responsibilities, hormonal fluctuations, and just life in general, poetry can serve as a powerful medium for expressing and releasing both negative and positive emotions. I believe this kind of outlet can also bring about recognition and honor to their lives.
Latest Review: "Our True Origin The Real History of Man" by Scott P. Davis
Aelihe
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aelihe.html

Post by Aelihe »

I think that poetry is just words with a powerful meaning. In that case, I believe anyone can write poetry because anybody who admits they don't have emotions or moments of being misunderstood, is lying. Poetry doesn't need to be taught because it comes naturally, some of us just aren't as good as wording our emotions.
KacyJones

Post by KacyJones »

I think that teens should be given examples of great poetry for inspiration/structure sake. Then told to be true to what they are feeling, so that they can be creative and expressive in the proper format.
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

I don't think it's important skill that has to be taught, but it should be available. I think what's important is to have good grammar and an extensive vocabulary.
needtoread
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-needtoread.html

Post by needtoread »

The technicalities of poetry, as well as the history and importance of it, should definitely be included in a student's studies. As a teacher, I have seen enough attempts at poetry to understand that poetry itself is an art form and requires a certain skill or instinct that just cannot be taught. Without the inclusion of lessons though, a natural poet may never get the opportunity to discover their ability to inspire others with their words.
EvieHanlon
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eviehanlon.html

Post by EvieHanlon »

Yes I beleive so. Whichever way you cut it, poetry is expression. I beleive teenagers and children in general should be taught as much about poetry as we can give them. There will always be those that excel or have a natural talent for it as per anything else. The value of teaching kids any form of expression is priceless.
Lilianar_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lilianar.html

Post by Lilianar_ »

I dont think they need to take a whole course dedicated to poetry but many states already have poetry somewhere in the curriculum. I do think that taking a creative writing class should be required.
xpeggy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xpeggy.html

Post by xpeggy »

goldenmountains230 wrote:I believe teenagers should be taught the different types of poems and about each of the different existing poets so each teenager has the ability to develop his or her own style in poetry through the gift of learning.
^ I agree with this person, I couldn't have said it better myself.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

Teenagers should be taught to write, period. My sister teaches at University level, and the vast majority of her incoming students are unable to write a complete sentence, much less a grammatically correct one. They tell her they don't see why it matters that they don't know how to spell, as long as it's close enough so someone reading it knows what they meant. Even worse -- my sister teaches Psychology, and her colleagues in the ENGLISH department give her a hard time for insisting that her students write with proper grammar and spelling. They say that self-expression is what matters, not whether students can spell or write grammatically.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
ursellb

Post by ursellb »

I think if a student is interested in poetry then yes teach them.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

There are some poetry types you can't survive if you do not have the talent.
But hey, I think they should teach it in schools. At least teenagers should have an idea of what it is. And how it is usually done.
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
RheaGrey
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rheagrey.html

Post by RheaGrey »

Yes, it most definitely should be taught as sort of an introduction to poetry. And then more in-depth classes could be offered for those who find they enjoy it. How will they ever know if they enjoy it, if no one ever teaches them how to do it?

But it's definitely not something that should be forced. Just a simple intro course where the teens learn about poetry and write their own basic poems following certain guides. There will most undoubtedly be those students who flourish, and those that just can't grasp it.

Return to “Poetry & Music”