Hard-to-Understand Poetry

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
janicejan
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by janicejan »

There are lots of cases wherein the author of the poem expresses himself through his poems or his writings and then when it was published and read by lots of people, each has their own speculations on the meaning of it, for me poems are expressions and there are no single meaning of each poetry, it mainly depends on your understanding on what you are reading.
Anna Meyer
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-meyer.html
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa

Post by Anna Meyer »

I dont think that poems are written to be understood all the time but mostly for the writer to express and if a reader understands...it's maybe because the reader can relate with the poem...sometimes you might be able to relate other times not...or sometimes it might give you a glimpse of something important to somebody or some issue that needs to be highlighted...poems are seasons and expressions echoing...trying to find someone echoing back at times....sometimes not...some poems are only answered by silence....but its still expressing itself and is still out there. Poetry is mystical and powerful and each one has a reason for existing. Some ... just to be heard.
Latest Review: "Unleash Your Potential Beyond Just motivation" by Abegunde Sunday Olaoluwa
kdtaylor27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdtaylor27.html

Post by kdtaylor27 »

Listen, real poetry doesn't say anything; it just ticks off the possibilities. Opens all doors. You can walk through anyone that suits you.-Jim Morrison

In other words, poetry doesn't have to make sense, it just has to change the way you feel or see the world.
anomalocaris
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anomalocaris.html
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier

Post by anomalocaris »

I believe the purpose of language is to communicate. If readers are unable to understand what the poet is talking about, then the poet has failed to communicate. I've heard poets who take pride in the fact that their work is obscure. Apparently it makes them feel superior. I don't see it that way. If you have something to say, by all means, say it, and say it so that others can understand it. If you're incapable of saying things in a way that allows others to understand it, find another profession. And if you're just in love with the sound of your own voice, then keep a journal, and don't waste everyone else's time with it.
You can't put a rope around the neck of an idea.
--Vol. Bobby Sands
Latest Review: "Kaitlyn a Wants To See Ducks" by Jo meserve Mach and Vera Lynne Stroup- Rentier
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

I, too, believe, anomalocaris, that poetry should be understandable. If nobody can get the point of your words, then why write them? The strangest poets, in my opinion, are the ones who write poems that they, themselves, admit they don't understand... What the hey? :roll:
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
annareads
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annareads.html
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis

Post by annareads »

I hate poems that are meant to be un-understandable. I guess it's sort of dadaist in a way, but it frustrates me. The only time I'm ok with impenetrable text is if it still manages to conjure an image or emotion. If I don't understand what's happening but I feel something, I'm more ok with it.

That being said, my preference will always go to understandable eloquence. You can use words and sound in cool ways without it becoming nonsense!
Latest Review: "Paradigm Shift" by Bill Ellis
kierypie1105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kierypie1105.html

Post by kierypie1105 »

I prefer poetry whose meaning doesn't jump out immediately and bash you over the head. The ambiguity of difficult poetry leaves more room for interpretation, allowing the reader to find his/her own meaning in the piece, allowing to to (at last in my opinion) connect to the soul on a deeper level.
ipekbunsal
Currently Reading: Gift of Prophecy
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ipekbunsal.html
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner

Post by ipekbunsal »

I love it when you have to struggle to understand what the author is saying. everyone tries to understand in their own way
“And, when you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.”
― Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
Latest Review: "Gift of Prophecy" by Lina Gardiner
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

Poems shouldn't necessarily be difficult, but at first they may not yield an interpretation. It ought to take time to read poetry because they're written in a different way to prose. Some poets make a point of being obscure because they think it makes their poems better, but whether that is the case or not the reader won't enjoy the poem if it fails to make even the slightest bit of sense. I recently read The Waste Land by T.S. Eliot and it is a very difficult poem. It takes time and patience to understand it, but when you do it's rather satisfying. It's because of that that I love reading poetry :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

I've always believed that poetry is highly subjective (and when I say poetry, I include songs, because often they are just poems with a beat!). Most people will read or listen to a poem that lacks a clear meaning and project their thoughts, ideas, and feelings onto the writer's message, assuming that he/she has one. If you do a google search of the meaning of any poem or song, you will find multiple interpretations. I think that this accounts for the popularity of poetry--unlike a book, the reader/listener can "stamp" a poem with his/her personality.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Could you imagine trying to understand the poetry if some of the world's most well-known philosophers would have tried their hand at it? :shock: It would be mind-bending to say the least. I just Kant imagine it! :roll: :wink:
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Post by Ryan »

rssllue wrote:Could you imagine trying to understand the poetry if some of the world's most well-known philosophers would have tried their hand at it? :shock: It would be mind-bending to say the least. I just Kant imagine it! :roll: :wink:
Haha! That's very Humerous :P :D
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Nice. :lol: Thanks. I was trying to be a free-thinker! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
WinterCandyMints
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wintercandymints.html

Post by WinterCandyMints »

It's okay.
Tzara Drusak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tzara-drusak.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by Tzara Drusak »

Poetry that is easily comprehensive isn't bad, just not overly interesting, although I wouldn't very much like to develop a migraine from stressing over the between-the-lines, around-the-hill meaning that is being transmitted. That being said, it's important to note that 'hard' can be widely interpreted across a range, and persons in a specific field would be drawn to something akin or surrounding their knowledge base. Something that falls in between 'hard' and 'easy' to understand is obviously a balance, but more preferable if it leans toward 'hard'.
And in the end, we were all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

-F. Scott Fitzgerald-

Return to “Poetry & Music”