Shel Silverstein

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
Terri2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Shel Silverstein

Post by Terri2 »

Shel Silverstein (September 25, 1930 - May 10, 1999) was an American poet, songwriter, musician, composer, cartoonist, screenwriter and author of children's books.

Do you like his work? What do you think about Shel Silverstein?

I'm a big fan of his poetry, but my favorite work of his is his book The Giving Tree.
Linda

Post by Linda »

ha i havent read anything of his since elementary school but i remember loving all his huge poetry books and then having all these other kids reading like american doll books. ha even then i think i knew better than other kids.

but i knew that he wrote childrens books and for adult magazines but i had no idea he did all that other stuff..cool to kno
"I hope you can't sleep and you dream about it
And when you dream I hope you can't sleep and you SCREAM about it
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me"
cooltodd

Post by cooltodd »

Linda wrote:ha i havent read anything of his since elementary school but i remember loving all his huge poetry books and then having all these other kids reading like american doll books. ha even then i think i knew better than other kids.

but i knew that he wrote childrens books and for adult magazines but i had no idea he did all that other stuff..cool to kno
I had those big poetry books too! I don't remember much, but I remember that he had some rather goofy poems. He was a very creative man.
awelker

Post by awelker »

i loved him growing up. i can remember that some of them were a little perverted, peeing and such, at least for a 3rd grader.
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

You know, I've never read any of his poetry as poetry... but I love the song lyrics he did for Doctor Hook in the 70's!
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

awelker

Post by awelker »

i so did not know that he wrote lyrics for a song. kinda weird in a way
"'Tis better to have loved and lost, Than never to have loved at all." - Alfred Lord Tennyson, In Memoriam:27

http://www.shelfari.com/awelker
sleepydumpling

Post by sleepydumpling »

He wrote several song lyrics awelker. Beautiful stuff too.
Have a Hoot: Read a Book! http://www.haveahootreadabook.co.uk

complimentarymatters

Post by complimentarymatters »

I would love to get one of his poetry books as an audio CD. I'm sure they make them.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

I love him!! He is a pioneer to children's literature, esp. poetry I think. But he is good to read at any age, he really is=)
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

I remember a few years back I was having a small party at my apartment. One of my friends saw my copy of The Giving Tree, and then we were talking briefly about how good it is. I forget who and exactly why but someone decided to read it allowed, and we all listened. It was funny, and it's even funnier thinking about it now. Can you imagine a bunch of high-school/college age kids randomly deciding to have a group reading of a children's book on a Friday night? :lol:
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Scott Hughes wrote:I remember a few years back I was having a small party at my apartment. One of my friends saw my copy of The Giving Tree, and then we were talking briefly about how good it is. I forget who and exactly why but someone decided to read it allowed, and we all listened. It was funny, and it's even funnier thinking about it now. Can you imagine a bunch of high-school/college age kids randomly deciding to have a group reading of a children's book on a Friday night? :lol:
Thats priceless dude, so cool...love it! :D
groundivy
Currently Reading: Kitchen Confidential
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by groundivy »

i know this is an old topic, but i gotta reply. i love shel silverstein. i had a copy of "where the sidewalk ends." over the years i had colored in the drawings with colored pencils. i had a Parkinsons patient who wrote poetry and painted in the past, but had become bedbound. part of our daily routine was to discuss the finer points of certain poems and works of art. i read many shel silverstein poems to her from that book. she was a sophisticated, educated, and accomplished lady. but she laughed and often sang the words, and looked longingly at the doodles on the pages. it was good therapy, for both of us.
alwayz1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwayz1313.html

Post by alwayz1313 »

I believe many childhood memories are filled with Shel Silverstein.
johappy
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... Matched</a>
Currently Reading: Into Thin Air
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johappy.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by johappy »

Shel Silverstein's work always entertained me. I love how it always rhymed. However, I feel like many of his poems had a deeper meaning than the randomness I interpreted as a child.
im_simply_karen1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-im-simply-karen1.html

Post by im_simply_karen1 »

Though his poetry is gaged towards young children, I still love him. He truly is a spectacular writer. My personal favorite of his would have to be Sick.

Return to “Poetry & Music”