Which Poets Have Inspired you?

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Which Poets Have Inspired you?

Post by DATo »

SONNET 116 - William Shakespeare

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
Admit impediments. Love is not love
Which alters when it alteration finds,
Or bends with the remover to remove:
O no! it is an ever-fixed mark
That looks on tempests and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle's compass come:
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

A nice quote by Ernest Hemmingway. I was never fond of the writer, but he had some moments. I liked the quote from the movie "Throw Momma from the Train," too: A writer writes... Always. So many words run through my mind every day I think sometimes I'm on the edge of philosophy, you know? :) Petrification, prestidigitation, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Anyway... I've been inspired by a few poets in my short life. When I was about thirteen and first started writing poetry, my best friend became E.A.P. Then again, what teenager doesn't require a dose of Stygian verse to keep the edge off the hormonal psychopathy? :) Shakespeare was astounding. I sat still in disbelief after my first reading of his long narrative poem, "The Rape of Lucrece," which presented the worst at its worst. I also lost myself in the relative simplicity of "The Phoenix and the Turtle." "Venus and Adonis" was a great one, too, though I really think the supernatural ought to, shall we say, keep to itself? When will the heathens learn? I found Tennyson a few years ago, though only recently did I develop a deep appreciation for his having written the extraordinary things he did. "Maud" ranks with the best things I've ever read. In the last few months, I've been reading the "Rattle Poetry Magazine" and have found many interesting styles to work into my own stuff. Time to walk across the barrier of two ages... :)

-- 08 Dec 2013, 01:08 --

A nice quote by Ernest Hemmingway. I was never fond of the writer, but he had some moments. I liked the quote from the movie "Throw Momma from the Train," too: A writer writes... Always. So many words run through my mind every day I think sometimes I'm on the edge of philosophy, you know? :) Petrification, prestidigitation, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Anyway... I've been inspired by a few poets in my short life. When I was about thirteen and first started writing poetry, my best friend became E.A.P. Then again, what teenager doesn't require a dose of Stygian verse to keep the edge off the hormonal psychopathy? :) Shakespeare was astounding. I sat still in disbelief after my first reading of his long narrative poem, "The Rape of Lucrece," which presented the worst at its worst. I also lost myself in the relative simplicity of "The Phoenix and the Turtle." "Venus and Adonis" was a great one, too, though I really think the supernatural ought to, shall we say, keep to itself? When will the heathens learn? I found Tennyson a few years ago, though only recently did I develop a deep appreciation for his having written the extraordinary things he did. "Maud" ranks with the best things I've ever read. In the last few months, I've been reading the "Rattle Poetry Magazine" and have found many interesting styles to work into my own stuff. Time to walk across the barrier of two ages... :)
juicyfruitsxoxo
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juicyfruitsxoxo.html

Post by juicyfruitsxoxo »

Ntozake Shange
Edgar Allan Poe
Arthur Rimbaud
Geoffrey Chauncer
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Sir Walter Scott I just started reading diligently. WOW, he's one of the best I've ever read! They called him the second Shakespeare... I now know why... I've read one of his novels, The Bride of Lammermoor, already, and thought it was marvelous. I own three versions of the opera, too. :D His works are a little slow, but he adds some intriguing imagery to go with the complexity of his sentencing, describing everything so well a reader can sit right where he wants them to at any given time. His poetry, though... That's where his genius shines the brightest! I'm astounded... and I've only read two poems!!! :D
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
Cheryl Rendone
Favorite Author: Ellen Hopkins
Favorite Book: Identical
Currently Reading: Red Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-rendone.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3134

Post by Cheryl Rendone »

The first poem I read that REALLY got me into writing poetry would have to be, "I Went To A Party, Mom" by an unknown Author. It just really hit home for me because my neighbors brother was killed in a drunk driving accident... he was the one that was drunk; I'm completely against drinking and driving to the point where if anybody (including me) only has one beer or drink I WILL NOT allow them or myself to drive.
After that I learned about Ellen Hopkins and she is a brilliant writer, she writes her books in poetry form, and I absolutely LOVE it.
mydarlingbeloved
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mydarlingbeloved.html

Post by mydarlingbeloved »

Pablo Neruda :D
Nathrad Sheare

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

Wow... I completely understand your position, Cheryl. I've not been much of a drinker in my life, and I'm sure glad for it. I've had friends who drink... a lot... and it's been a worry. I don't believe anybody should drink to excess at all, but what can I do about it? Sometimes I feel handicapped in this world, helpless, but it's best to stick with what I know about the whos and whys of sin and death and let people do what they're going to do... Maybe that's cynical... Maybe insensitive... but I know that wishing and trying isn't going to keep anyone I love from doing stupid things... I'm so glad my mom, dad, and sister don't drink, though I have no power over a drunk driver on the road, don't I know... The kid who hit us wasn't under the influence and that was close enough...
Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things that escape those who only dream at night.

-Edgar Allan Poe
christina_n_m
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-n-m.html

Post by christina_n_m »

I've loved Poe from a young age however I have been truly inspired by Bhanu Kapil. She doesn't necessarily write poetry, her work is most often considered cross-genre prose however it reads like poetry and has deconstructed and opened my perspective of what separates prose and poetry.
rae_lewis
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rae-lewis.html

Post by rae_lewis »

A poet, who is also a musician and songwriter, called Tom Molson inspired me a long time ago. He makes YouTube videos and sometimes puts songs or poems he's written on there, and when I stumbled across a video of his I wanted to watch all of them. A lot of them are nonsense, but that's what I love about them because they mean something different to everyone.
luluMoon1940
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lulumoon1940.html

Post by luluMoon1940 »

I have a wonderful book called The Rattle Bag - a choice of poems by very diverse poets chosen by Seamus Heaney and Ted Hughes. In their words the verse they have chosen amplifies notions of what poetry is. It contains so many of my favourite poets including Gerald Manly Hopkins, Emily Dickinson, Philip Larkin, T.S. Eliot and Edward Lear. His Animal Alphabet is such an amazing example of "off the wall imagination" Who else but Lear could write -

E for - The Enthusiastic Elephant,
who ferried himself across the water with the
Kitchen poker and a New pair of Ear-Rings.

Perhaps its just me, but I just find the idea and image truly magic! (Read the whole poem!]
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

Shel Silverstein and Wlliam Shakespeare.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Timea
Favorite Author: Edgar A. Poe
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =1580">The Dimension Scales and Other Stories</a>
Currently Reading: Arhipelagul Gulag I
Bookshelf Size: 242
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timea.html
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini

Post by Timea »

Edgar Allan Poe
William Blake
Hosho McCreesh
Langston Hughes
Oscar Wilde
Latest Review: "Murder Inc." by Christian Cipollini
subzerowon
Favorite Author: Tolkien_ Koontz_ect
Favorite Book: The Hobbit
Currently Reading: Black Arrow
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-subzerowon.html
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods

Post by subzerowon »

Poe, I write darker poetry.
subzerowon
Latest Review: "Gilded Feathers (book 1 in Gilded Feathers series)" by J. Woods
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

I love Maya Angelo. If you have not read her works then you are surely missing out. Her words are so deep and meaningful, and carry the weight of pain, hope and pride. My favorite poem, of course, is "still I rise".
NakedSoulPoet
Bookshelf Size: 1
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nakedsoulpoet.html

Post by NakedSoulPoet »

Maya Angelou. Nikki Giovanni. my faves!!

Return to “Poetry & Music”