The Doors

This is the place for readers of poetry. Discuss poetry and literary art. You can also discuss music here, including lyrics. Also, you can discuss poets themselves, in addition to poetry.
brakeonthroo
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Doors

Post by brakeonthroo »

The ultimate poet/musician is Jim Morrison. I found this clip of the Doors from the Classic Albums DVD that just came out, it's pretty awesome:
fontana.edgeboss.net/wmedia/fontana/thedoors/thedoorsclassicclip.wvx

--------------------
-Matt J.

“I see myself as a huge fiery comet, a shooting star. Everyone stops, points up and gasps, 'Oh look at that!' Then- whoosh, and I'm gone... and they'll never see anything like it ever again... and they won't be able to forget me- ever.” -Jim Morrison - umgd
spring

Post by spring »

I heard about them on a Christian forum ( think about :lol: ) and listened first time like 5 months ago , I liked .I wouldn't say is my favorite rock band , however they're good enough to be worthy to be listened to .
angeleyes

Post by angeleyes »

I grew up in the 70s with the Doors, wonderful group...
Light My Fire was the best song sung from
Jim Morrison.
anita blake

Post by anita blake »

Love that song, but not as much as Road house blues. The best version is with John Lee Hooker
A real book is not one that we read, but one that reads us. Auden, W. H
mrc105

Post by mrc105 »

Have you read "The Lords and The New Creatures". I just love that book.
aemdis

Post by aemdis »

I've got every Doors album. I used to be a huge fan, and I still love them. Soft Parade is one of my favorites, Celebration of the Lizard, Not to Touch the Earth. So many good ones.
Niphredil

Post by Niphredil »

I do like The Doors, but can Jim Morrison really be described as a poet? His lyrics certainly seem poetical when combined with music, but in that case the merit isn't entirely his as the other band members surely have a share?

Plus, like so many fantastic song lyrics, when you get them on their own they would have little merit at all as a poem. Sure it's hard to say what has merit and what doesn't, but can anyone really imagine The Doors lyrics getting anywhere if they had been published seperatly, as a poetry book, and no one knew their music?
anita blake

Post by anita blake »

Jim Morrison wrote a lot of poetry and wanted to carry on writing it, claiming he was not a singer. Thankfully he was persuaded otherwise and most his poems were changed to fit songs. I doubt he would have become as popular as a poet as he did a singer, but that may have as much to do with the audience than his writings. I often wonder how many poems he had to adapt to fit with the music and if there was many he never used.
A real book is not one that we read, but one that reads us. Auden, W. H
Niphredil

Post by Niphredil »

Aah, makes more sense. Failed poet, successful singer. Guess he chose the right career path.
sam2008

Post by sam2008 »

hi
sam2008

Post by sam2008 »

hi
Tushu

Post by Tushu »

:D :D
andr70

Post by andr70 »

Jim Morrison was a very good musician but for me he was and always be a wonderful poet which poetry is living in my heart for many years!
Nitromeaga

Post by Nitromeaga »

I agree with you
BookWorm617

Post by BookWorm617 »

When I was about 8 my dad took me to the record store. I had him buy me The Doors and The Smurfs Album. The saleslady thought it was the funniest thing. Wish I still has those albums.

Return to “Poetry & Music”