Alternatives to semicolons in modern writing

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Priya12345
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya12345.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Alternatives to semicolons in modern writing

Post by Priya12345 »

What is the best way to capture multiple thoughts about the same idea?
I'm not a big fan of semicolons, but I find my grammatically correct options limited when I'm trying to replicate a stream of consciousness.

Here's an example I'm struggling with:
A good director can give you an inside view, a perspective of what a character is thinking, that's how we know the characters and love the story.

Any suggestions please?
Vickyoreo86
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =118626">A Court of Wings and Ruin</a>
Currently Reading: The Sword of Shannara
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickyoreo86.html
Latest Review: Cover Your Tracks, Leona Leitman by C. S. Johnson

Post by Vickyoreo86 »

It's ok, in my opinion, to have some artistic license. I read many articles stating that short sentences can create more of a bond and impact with the reader than long ones that make a piece of work boring or too wordy...even if they are about the same thoughts. So a bit like..

A good director can give you an inside view. A perspective of what a character is thinking. That's how...

And variations of that use.

The semi colon and comma is still a good use though....This is only my opinion.
“We make choices everyday, some of them good, some of them bad. And - if we are strong enough - we live with the consequences.”
― David Gemmell
K-McD
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k-mcd.html

Post by K-McD »

For that specific sentence, I can think of a few alternatives. "A perspective of what a character is thinking" is basically an elaboration (aka a parenthetical statement) of "inside view", so it can be taken out. There, we see the big problem.
"A good director can give you an inside view, that's how we know the characters and love the story."
To make this sentence correct without breaking it up or using a semicolon, "that's" needs to be changed. The possibilities I can think of are "and that's" and "which is". Also, if you ever want to reduce comma use, you could use dashes around the parentheticals (which I personally think looks nicer).

"A good director can give you an inside view - a perspective of what a character is thinking - which is how we know the characters and love the story."

"A good director can give you an inside view, a perspective of what a character is thinking, and that's how we know the characters and love the story."

"A good director can give you an inside view, a perspective of what a character is thinking, which is how we know the characters and love the story."

In general, there are three ways to fix run-on sentences. First, break them up into two (or more) sentences. Second, use a semicolon. Third is to make one part of the sentence dependent on the other. The most common way to do that is to add an "and". In this case, "which" is a good replacement for some uses of "that".
As for breaking it up, that's a little more awkward with the parenthetical there, but a dash or a regular colon can fix that.

"A good director can give you an inside view - a perspective of what a character is thinking. That's how we know the characters and love the story."

"A good director can give you an inside view: a perspective of what a character is thinking. That's how we know the characters and love the story."

So you have a few options there, which are all grammatically correct. Basically, pick the one that works best with your writing style and run with it.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

K-McD wrote:For that specific sentence, I can think of a few alternatives. "A perspective of what a character is thinking" is basically an elaboration (aka a parenthetical statement) of "inside view", so it can be taken out. There, we see the big problem.
"A good director can give you an inside view, that's how we know the characters and love the story."
To make this sentence correct without breaking it up or using a semicolon, "that's" needs to be changed. The possibilities I can think of are "and that's" and "which is". Also, if you ever want to reduce comma use, you could use dashes around the parentheticals (which I personally think looks nicer).

"A good director can give you an inside view - a perspective of what a character is thinking - which is how we know the characters and love the story."

"A good director can give you an inside view, a perspective of what a character is thinking, and that's how we know the characters and love the story."

"A good director can give you an inside view, a perspective of what a character is thinking, which is how we know the characters and love the story."

In general, there are three ways to fix run-on sentences. First, break them up into two (or more) sentences. Second, use a semicolon. Third is to make one part of the sentence dependent on the other. The most common way to do that is to add an "and". In this case, "which" is a good replacement for some uses of "that".
As for breaking it up, that's a little more awkward with the parenthetical there, but a dash or a regular colon can fix that.

"A good director can give you an inside view - a perspective of what a character is thinking. That's how we know the characters and love the story."

"A good director can give you an inside view: a perspective of what a character is thinking. That's how we know the characters and love the story."

So you have a few options there, which are all grammatically correct. Basically, pick the one that works best with your writing style and run with it.
These are good alternatives.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Priya12345
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-priya12345.html

Post by Priya12345 »

Thank you all, this was very helpful.
I think the shorter sentences will definitely help. I like the suggestion of dashes - they're a beautiful visual break! I've an irrational worry that the semi colon signaled a rigid and rule-driven mentality. Let me give the dash-breaks a spin for my next assignment.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

MsMartha wrote:
K-McD wrote:For that specific sentence, I can think of a few alternatives. "A perspective of what a character is thinking" is basically an elaboration (aka a parenthetical statement) of "inside view", so it can be taken out. There, we see the big problem.

These are good alternatives.
Good one really.
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “International Grammar”