Semicolons

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Semicolons

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

We were always taught to use a semicolon whenever two sentences were connected and the overall sentence already had another comma.
For example: When it is hot outside, the sun is usually shining; and the birds like to sing.

The other time I was taught to use it was with certain conjunctions such as however.
For example: I liked the book; however, I thought the plot could have been better.

I used the second example in a review recently and was told it was incorrect. Can someone please clarify if either of these examples correctly use semicolons? Thank you!
akinton
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by akinton »

The website (removed by mod) has a good comic explaining how to use semicolons! I found it really helpful in the past.

Semi-colons are never used with conjunctions. They replace conjunctions and natural pauses in written thoughts. They separate two independent (but related) thoughts.

I hope this helps!
ChillFil

Post by ChillFil »

In college (ENC1101) I was thought to use a semicolon to connect two 'separate' complete thoughts.
For example:

It is so very hot outside; I feel like going for a swim.

1st thought: It is very hot out
2nd thought: One feels like going for a swim
bobtaylor_ohio
Currently Reading: Portrait of a Lady
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bobtaylor_ohio »

Cf. The Elements of Style:

"If two or more clauses, grammatically complete and not joined by a conjunction, are to form a single compound sentence, the proper mark of punctuation is a semicolon."

Example:

Stevenson's romances are entertaining; they are full of exciting adventures.
It is nearly half past five; we cannot reach town before dark.

Both of course can be cut into separate sentence with periods.

Stevenson's romances are entertaining. They are full of exciting adventures.
It is nearly half past five. We cannot reach town before dark.

If you add a conjunction the proper mark is a comma:

Stevenson's romances are entertaining, for they are full of exciting adventures.
It is nearly half past five, and we cannot reach town before dark.

Note that you can find and read The Elements of Style for free as it is in the public domain
DarthMom25
Currently Reading: Deadly Design
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darthmom25.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
2024 Reading Goal: 364
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by DarthMom25 »

anneloretrujillo wrote:The other time I was taught to use it was with certain conjunctions such as however.
For example: I liked the book; however, I thought the plot could have been better.

I used the second example in a review recently and was told it was incorrect. Can someone please clarify if either of these examples correctly use semicolons? Thank you!
The first sentence is definitely correct. As for the second sentence, I've always been taught to use a semicolon in front of words like 'however' and 'therefore' in that manner when it is separating two complete sentences that relate to one another. Is it possible that the person who corrected you is from another country? It seems that maybe they are, so they follow different rules.
bobtaylor_ohio
Currently Reading: Portrait of a Lady
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by bobtaylor_ohio »

if the second clause is preceded by an adverb, such as accordingly, besides, then, therefore, or thus, and not by a conjunction, a semicolon is required.
Annelore Trujillo
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 169
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annelore-trujillo.html
Latest Review: NOAH by Naazir Aram Musa

Post by Annelore Trujillo »

http://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/ ... hrases.htm

Here's a good link to explain the rules that I mentioned in the original post.
Leesajohnson

Post by Leesajohnson »

It is used to join two complete sentences into a single written sentence. You can hire an expert tutor who will guide you grammar concepts about any topic such as punctuation mark, Colon, Semicolons from start to end point. When you are well expert in English grammar then you can use all the grammar tags in a proper manner.
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

ChillFil wrote:In college (ENC1101) I was thought to use a semicolon to connect two 'separate' complete thoughts.
For example:

It is so very hot outside; I feel like going for a swim.

1st thought: It is very hot out
2nd thought: One feels like going for a swim
Me too
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Return to “International Grammar”