"I could care less" and more goofs

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Re: "I could care less" and more goofs

Post by karolinka »

What a fun thread this is! I don't have any of my own to add, but I've heard some in the past that have been written about here already. Thanks!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
lucymn11
Currently Reading: ROOM
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucymn11.html
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by lucymn11 »

e-tasana-williams wrote:My son said one the other day while he was playing basketball: "out of bounce!", instead of "out of bounds". I didn't correct him, I loved it!
That's a funny one! I see why he said "bounce", it makes some sense. :P
ramblinggnomes
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ramblinggnomes.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by ramblinggnomes »

I'm so glad I've found this post! Hearing 'I could care less' has been driving me mad. I was starting to doubt myself and was wondering if it was some American/British English difference. Now I couldn't care less if someone tries to correct me on this one again!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
E_MarMatt95
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-e-marmatt95.html

Post by E_MarMatt95 »

Grammar goofs really irk me. When the words wander and wonder are switched in context or defiantly is used in place of definitely. I've also read "mute point" instead of "moot point". I will literally stop reading if "there" is used to encompass all of the ways to spell (they're, there, and their) or if your and you're is used incorrectly.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

E_MarMatt95 wrote:I will literally stop reading if "there" is used to encompass all of the ways to spell (they're, there, and their) or if your and you're is used incorrectly.
It drives me crazy when my phone autocorrects me and puts in the wrong there, their, they're.... and I don't notice it until it has gone out, making me look stupid.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
mjames20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mjames20.html

Post by mjames20 »

I hate when people mistake literal for figurative and vice versa. And I can't tell you what a joy being multilingual is for many reasons, not least of which is learning all sorts of idioms!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Danessa wrote:Here's a goof that my husband informed me of that I have said. Only, I'm not so sure I'm wrong. Maybe someone could shed light on this.
"It's a down hill battle from here" instead of "Its an up hill battle from here" meaning it will be easier from here on out. I point out that it is easier to travel down a hill than up a hill. So I say "It's all down hill from here" My husband says that I'm saying this backwards.
Actually I think you could use it in either contest (<-- hee, hee, hee) with accuracy. An uphill battle suggests that things are going to get harder and a downhill battle suggests just the opposite; therefore, the situational context in which the phrase is chosen would define the meaning.

My son scored exceptionally well on his SAT tests. It should now be a downhill battle to get him into a good university.

Mom caught me coming in late after curfew. It's now going to be an uphill battle to talk her into letting me go to the party on Saturday night.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Zeenada
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeenada.html

Post by Zeenada »

Using "could of" instead of "could've" always bugs me. This is by no means news but Allie Brosh wrote a blog post about the Alot and ever since reading that "alot" has been my favourite goof to come across.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Zeenada wrote:Using "could of" instead of "could've" always bugs me. This is by no means news but Allie Brosh wrote a blog post about the Alot and ever since reading that "alot" has been my favourite goof to come across.
"Could of" would bug me, too--because "could've" means "could have". I think when this is done incorrectly, somebody is thinking more about how it sounds than what it means.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
abhishek7081
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by abhishek7081 »

didn't knew that this phrase is so easy to get wrong... you all are clearing up my doubts...thanks for this..
Serena_Charlotte
Favorite Author: Neal Shusterman
Currently Reading: The Heads of Cerberus
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-serena-charlotte.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
fav_author_id: 2788

Post by Serena_Charlotte »

I recently read an online novel that was updated every week. The author had not been able to update on one of those weeks and so she posted a "snip-it", rather than a snippet. I just found that extremely amusing.
Where is the line between insanity and creativity?
Is the reality of the world different from how we perceive and experience it in our minds? Does physical reality exist apart from the human mind?
Yolanda Denise
Currently Reading: In the Fullness of Time
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yolanda-denise.html

Post by Yolanda Denise »

One goof I often hear from people is "Where is ______ at?"

When people ask where someone or something is at, it's a little bothersome.
adampaarma_1

Post by adampaarma_1 »

Thats good.
WordHound
Currently Reading: The Elf Brief
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordhound.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WordHound »

I'm a writing tutor, so I seen tons of goofs like this. I saw "patience" instead of "patients" the other day.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Antares
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antares.html
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Post by Antares »

My favorite one is 'I seen it the other day.' makes me want to kill someone!
Follow your dreams, read a good book, and put your feet up with a nice glass of wine.
Latest Review: "The 11.05 Murders" by Brian O'Hare

Return to “International Grammar”