Whether to use "Mr." or "Mister" in dialogue?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Whether to use "Mr." or "Mister" in dialogue?

Post by moderntimes »

As a novelist, I'm always finding little goofy things which make me want to trip up. For some weird reason yesterday, I began to "worry" about the better way to spell honorifics (Mr., Ms., etc) in dialogue.

Now if it's in narrative (let's define this first) -- narrative is anything that's not spoken, but a description or other text in a novel, whereas dialogue is what's spoken in quotes by characters -- you can say:

I saw Ms. Wilson leave the restaurant.
and
Mr. Phillips entered the shop.
which we all agree is correct.

but in dialogue?

"Please take your time, Mr. Johnson. There's no rush."
or
"Please take your time, Mister Johnson. There's no rush."

which is correct? And before you decide, the word "mister" is easy, since its spoken sound is the exact same as what we read in narrative. But how about the honorific "Mrs."? How do you spell it in dialogue?

"I think we're fine, Mrs. Johnson."
or
"I think we're fine, Missus Johnson."

When obviously the "Missus" may be phonetically appropriate but it's not really a standard English word, more like slang or dialect, right? Same for "Ms. Kent" versus, what, "Mizz Kent?"

Every find yourself in a dilemma over nothing really? I did, ha ha.
Your feedback?
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

Interesting question! It made me wonder, so I did some searching and found out, among other things, that Mrs. is actually a contraction of the word Mistress. I think I knew that once upon a time, but I haven't thought about it in quite awhile!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

I actually don't use the phonetics and instead use "Mr" or "Ms" in dialogue, but it is something fun to ponder while trying to get to sleep, eh?
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html

Post by MsMartha »

moderntimes wrote:it is something fun to ponder while trying to get to sleep, eh?
Or while you're supposed to be thinking of something else that's driving you batty ;-)
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Yeah, welcome to my crazed dreams.
pass4suretest

Post by pass4suretest »

mostly i use Mr.
steiconi

Post by steiconi »

I would use Mr. in dialog except when the speaker is stressing the word. As in, "Well aren't you wonderful, Mister Jones."

shoot, now "mister" looks misspelled.
WickedWriter42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wickedwriter42.html

Post by WickedWriter42 »

I would suggest using Mr., Mrs., Ms.... rather than spelling it out. I know as a reader it is more visually pleasing and conforms with the written language I see everyday. If you were to use Mister, visually, it would throw me off. I would probably briefly note your choice, then move on so at the end of the day, it is your decision, but I prefer Mr. verses Mister.
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

WickedWriter42 wrote:I would suggest using Mr., Mrs., Ms.... rather than spelling it out. I know as a reader it is more visually pleasing and conforms with the written language I see everyday. If you were to use Mister, visually, it would throw me off. I would probably briefly note your choice, then move on so at the end of the day, it is your decision, but I prefer Mr. verses Mister.
I agree, it would throw me off. I actually don't remember reading any books that use Mister instead of Mr. and Mistress instead of Mrs. would seem extremely weird. :P
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Thanks for your help on this one.

Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
chgo919

Post by chgo919 »

Use Mr. only before a name, for example: "Hello, Mr. Jones." Mister seems most appropriate when it stands alone: "Hello, Mister."
Camogirl217
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camogirl217.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Camogirl217 »

chgo919 wrote:Use Mr. only before a name, for example: "Hello, Mr. Jones." Mister seems most appropriate when it stands alone: "Hello, Mister."
This is how I was taught. When it's written out, "Mister" is considered their name and capitalized just like you would "Jim". This is mostly used when their actual name isn't known and you're too polite to say, "Hey, you!". When you do know their name and want to show them respect by giving them a title, then use "Mr. Jim".
Steph K
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steph-k.html
Latest Review: Ever After by H M Irwing

Post by Steph K »

In my reading I have almost exclusively seen Mr. Mrs. and Ms. used in dialogue. The only exception I've seen is when Mr. is used in a sarcastic manner, such as "Listen here, Mister!"
Vivian Paschal
Favorite Author: John Grisham
Currently Reading: Southern Cross
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivian-paschal.html
Latest Review: What is priest Nation, The Seed, and the H5G by Herbert Scholes
fav_author_id: 2455

Post by Vivian Paschal »

Steph K wrote:In my reading I have almost exclusively seen Mr. Mrs. and Ms. used in dialogue. The only exception I've seen is when Mr. is used in a sarcastic manner, such as "Listen here, Mister!"
Precisely my thoughts on the topic. Spelling it out works when using it in a sarcastic manner or for emphasis. It also works when addressing a person without using the person's name. For example, "Come here Mister!" would definitely be preferable to "Come here Mr!"
RegularGuy3
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-regularguy3.html
Latest Review: Farmer Beau's Farm by Kathleen Geiger

Post by RegularGuy3 »

I agree with Vivian Paschal but would also add that "Mister" can convey the charceter of the person speaking. When I read that word (or the more rare "Missus" or "Miss"), I picture the speaker either as someone who is very young or perhaps naive or unsure of themselves. They're still spelling out the whole word in their speech rather than using the accepted conventions. This way, an author can convey more meaning by paying attention to the actual language in the dialogue

Return to “International Grammar”