How to improve your grammar?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

mratdegraff91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 433
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mratdegraff91.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
Reading Device: B018SZT3BK

Re: How to improve your grammar?

Post by mratdegraff91 »

I find this an interesting and helpful topic. My husband is a grammar fanatic and is always giving me a hard time when I mispronounce something or leave out punctuation in my writing. I will be putting some of the advice expressed here to good use.
Madison Degraffenreid
mewsmash
Currently Reading: Animal Farm
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mewsmash.html
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch

Post by mewsmash »

Sadly, the main tip with English grammar is memorization. There's often no rhyme or reason, you just have to read the rules and learn them.
Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
nightnurse
Currently Reading: The Last Humans: Oasis
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nightnurse.html
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by nightnurse »

This is a good question, how does some one improve a life time of incorrect grammar and punctuation errors. Have been out of school for 40+ years and I was an A student in English class back then. Trying to remember what I learned but I am making a lot of mistakes now. At least I am learning from my mistakes and this site is making me a better writer (of reviews). Keep me on my toes editors when you point out my mistakes you are teaching me how to do a better job. Thank You.
Latest Review: "Roan" by E. R. Barr
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

There are many online grammar refresher courses that you can take to improve your language, as well as many helpful books on amazon. One good site is removed by mod they have everything from writing, grammar, and computer classes where you can improve your skills.
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
ptolia_999
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by ptolia_999 »

Read Books, Read & Read...! They will never let you down...! Oo dont forget to check for pronunciation too...!
Lovela
Currently Reading: Reagan's Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovela.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Lovela »

In order to speak grammatically correct,I am sure that one should learn not words,not rules, but grammar structures.Using them in every day speech is very inportant too. When I was a student our teachers made us to read the works of W.S.Maugham and O.Wilde.These writers were worth reading.Their grammar was perfect! I found out, that my language improved greately after I had read these books.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Reading and writing on a regular basis will help improve both grammar and overall writing skills.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
justiceuma
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by justiceuma »

Ok, if you are reading me now, then listen, we often say practice makes perfect, very wrong though, yet regular practice brings about streaks of improvement in what ever you put your mind into. Your passion for English is admirable, however, you must read aloud and along sometimes to improve your accent and a course on oral English will help too
BoyLazy
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boylazy.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by BoyLazy »

grammarcheck.net
Boy Lazy
Reviewer | Blogger | Influencer

Thirasara
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Thirasara »

book_fiend wrote:Native speakers of English tend to have atrocious grammar because we learned to speak English in primary school without ever learning the grammar rules that accompany the language. It is only those who learned English as a second language that tend to strive to be grammatically accurate. Kind of ironic, isn't it?
This is very true. Well said!
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

book_fiend wrote:Native speakers of English tend to have atrocious grammar because we learned to speak English in primary school without ever learning the grammar rules that accompany the language. It is only those who learned English as a second language that tend to strive to be grammatically accurate. Kind of ironic, isn't it?
That has not been my experience at all. I was taught grammar in elementary school, starting in first or second grade. Grammar was emphasized as a part of writing throughout my school years.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

CatInTheHat wrote:That has not been my experience at all. I was taught grammar in elementary school, starting in first or second grade. Grammar was emphasized as a part of writing throughout my school years.
You were lucky. I can't speak for book_fiend, but those of us educated in the UK in the 1970s/1980s missed out because teaching English grammar was out of fashion. I only learned anything about it through learning languages other than English, or I absorbed information osmotically through reading. I have started to read grammar books lately, with great interest. I note the statement in Chicago Manual of Style that no one can quite agree about the rules of English grammar, though.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
WendyH
Currently Reading: The Snow Child
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendyh.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by WendyH »

Reading is absolutely one of the best ways to improve your grammar!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sally_Heart »

The best way is through reading lots of English books. From personal experience I had say reading has helped me a lot with my grammar.
Salman Waheed
Bookshelf Size: 40

Post by Salman Waheed »

Hi
There is no easy way to learn English grammar as it is a tricky language. I am also an Asian so I can understand how important and difficult it is to learn English grammar for you. The best way is to read the text in the targeted language from where you know that it contains the standard English grammar, for example you can start with reading daily newspaper because it includes articles and news about wide range of subject in the standard grammar and is hardly with any mistake.

Return to “International Grammar”