Panick Attacks for first reviews?

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2516

Re: Panick Attacks for first reviews?

Post by moderntimes »

Well, Betty, don't worry that much about a spare comma here and there. And you'll find that comma use is also variable depending on US or UK preferred style.

Your principal objective is to write a fair, honest, and thoughtful review of the book. Little else matters.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

You should not worry about your reviews that author appreciates any that they receive.
shelley_soetosenojo
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 21940">the fiery cross</a>
Currently Reading: A Taste of Seduction
Bookshelf Size: 139
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelley-soetosenojo.html
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
Reading Device: B0716S5G56
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by shelley_soetosenojo »

I have the same problem with my first review. But then again, with all of them. But I think this will help us giving our best, everytime!
Latest Review: "Love Built to Last" by Lisa Ricard Claro
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

Vermont, authors don't appreciate biased or unfounded bad reviews at all. I can say that from the standpoint of a published author myself.

We writers have no problems with a reviewer who disagrees with us, so long as the reviewer's opinions are backed up with good logic. But unfair reviews? Authors dislike them.

One example I've given before --- if the novel is a mystery, and it's a slam-bang action thriller, if a reviewer prefers the more sedate type of "Agatha Christie" drawing-room mystery, and therefore downgrades the book accordingly, that's unfair. If however, the reviewer finds flaws in the action thriller, that it's not as well written as it could have been, and there are for example plot holes, then a downrating of the book is a fair analysis.
Trendydoc_73
Favorite Author: Onyeka Uzoma MD
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ricanah</a>
Currently Reading: A briefer history of time
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 35027

Post by Trendydoc_73 »

Brave and totally honest, that's all I can say.
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html

Post by Vermont Reviews »

The best way to get better is to keep practicing.
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer

Post by MsMartha »

Great support here for reviewers--and I'm one who needs some ;-)

I have to agree that practice is important, and I wish sometimes that I had 30 instead of 24 hours a day so I could practice more often ;-)
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
moderntimes

Post by moderntimes »

My recommendations include this: just write the review as if you were telling a good friend about this book you read. You'd not just tell the plot, but you'd describe the characters, the themes of the book, and your impressions about whether the story was well presented, the characters were believable, and so on.

Then write this down in a more "formal" style, and this should be a good template for your review. In other words, tell the readers a story about the book you just read.
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

moderntimes wrote:My recommendations include this: just write the review as if you were telling a good friend about this book you read. You'd not just tell the plot, but you'd describe the characters, the themes of the book, and your impressions about whether the story was well presented, the characters were believable, and so on.

Then write this down in a more "formal" style, and this should be a good template for your review. In other words, tell the readers a story about the book you just read.
That's a good idea!
Nicole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Nicole »

moderntimes wrote:My recommendations include this: just write the review as if you were telling a good friend about this book you read. You'd not just tell the plot, but you'd describe the characters, the themes of the book, and your impressions about whether the story was well presented, the characters were believable, and so on.

Thanks for this good advice! Wish I was able to read this thread two reviews ago.

For those worrying about grammar, there's this app called Grammarly which does way better proofreading than Word. Though it still has a few unnecessary corrections, I think.
MsMartha

Post by MsMartha »

Thanks for the Grammarly information--I will take a look at it.
Nicole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Nicole »

MsMartha wrote:Thanks for the Grammarly information--I will take a look at it.
Happy to help. Let me know how you find it. I'd be glad to hear your thoughts on the app.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

The first review is always such a nervous experience. I felt like you do, but you will get over that and move on to review another one! If the editors feel that your review shouldn't be published because of spelling/grammatical errors they will reject it and let you know why. You will do fine! :)
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Dont worry, not at all. The editors are nice and will correct any mistakes you may make! Plus there's always the scope to improve :)
Diane Rinella
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Diane Rinella »

As a writer who needs reviews (every writer does), I have to say that while I respect people's concern over how well his/her review reads, what really matters is writing something. I love seeing reviews where readers took a ton of time to write something eloquent; however, even a one sentence review is better than no review at all. Of course, if you are reviewing for a periodical, that is different. In the end though, writers need reviews, and anything a reader does to help is appreciated.

Return to “International Grammar”