OnlineBookClub.org

Featured Book

Forum Navigation

Forum Home | Authors Start Here | Shop by Cover | Login | Sign Up For Free

Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Writing » International Grammar

Free/Discount Book of the Day! ( + Amazon Gift Card Giveaway! )

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books; They are incredible temporary deals on well-rated books! This also includes free entry into daily free raffles for free Amazon Gift Cards! Sign up so you do not miss the opportunity to build up your library with premium books for free AND get free daily chances to win free Amazon gift cards.

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Using a possessive noun before a gerund

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Using a possessive noun before a gerund

Post Number:#1 by anneloretrujillo
» 06 Jan 2017, 13:32

I was taught that it is always correct to use the possessive form of a noun before a gerund because the gerund is technically a noun, not a verb.

For example it should be

"She had to get over his leaving her."
Not,
"She had to get over him leaving her."

Could someone tell me if I am using the possessive and gerund correctly in that sentence?
anneloretrujillo

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 8%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Using a possessive noun before a gerund

Post Number:#2 by noel548
» 10 Jan 2017, 15:29

I certainly cannot and I would like to add that grammar is not really up to the task of determining what is correct and what not any more. Once you travel a little you'll find that one sentence is "correct" in one part of the English speaking word while in another part of the world the other sentence is "correct"
noel548

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#3 by rssllue
» 10 Jan 2017, 15:32

Oh for the days of Noah Webster when it all was defined for us!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
rssllue
Beardmaster of Bookshelves

Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 297 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 190 Books
Goal Completion: 3%

Post Number:#4 by LivreAmour217
» 13 Jan 2017, 14:44

I wish I could answer this! I feel compelled to do a Google search, but I have a funny feeling that I'll find more than one "correct" answer! I agree with what Noel said: it probably depends on where you're from!
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein
LivreAmour217's Latest Review: "Eat Wheat" by John Douillard, DC, CAP
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month

Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 70 Books
Goal Completion: 2%