Featured Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Discuss the June 2015 book of the month, "The Message?" by Avam Hale.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Re: Featured Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by Scott »

Just as a reminder, it is June so the special subforum to discuss this book is open. Please join the discussion: Discuss "The Message?" by Avam Hale
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Levi
Favorite Author: S. Morgenstern ha ha
Favorite Book: Crik
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Bookshelf Size: 542
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-levi.html
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke

Post by Levi »

ALynnPowers wrote:[Following is the official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Message?" by Avam Hale.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Avam Hale’s debut novel The Message?: A thinking thriller about change and choice was written with the intent to both entertain and challenge readers, and I am fairly certain that Hale has managed to accomplish such a task within the pages of this book. In a message from the author preceding the book, Hale states, “If I get even one ‘hmmm’ out of you I will have succeeded.” I definitely experienced a few moments of “hmmm” as I read this story.

Leah Warner was just a meek, mid-Western widower with two children when a tragic car accident sent her into a coma. Though her prognosis isn’t so great, after three weeks in an unresponsive state, a miracle occurs. Not only does she wake up, fully aware of her surroundings, but the external cuts and bruises on her body are practically healed, and her internal fractures are almost fully mended. Much to the amazement of her attending neurologist, she shows no sign of brain trauma.

But Leah also claims to have been with God while she was in her coma, and God has sent her back with a simple message to share with the world: He loves everyone unconditionally, and He wants everyone to set aside worldly possessions and achievement and just love each other as well. While Leah does not intend to endorse any particular religious affiliation as she spreads this message, she soon discovers that merely promoting such a simple concept of love and selflessness comes with consequences. Her message gets mixed up in philosophy, religion, politics, and economics as they all play a role in the lives of all Americans, regardless of whether or not they believe her story.

Despite my rather simple summary of the story, this book actually contains a variety of interesting characters whose lives and roles weave together to form the overall plot, which ultimately revolves around Leah Warner. Dr. Marcus, Leah’s neurologist, is my favorite of all of the characters. A man of science, but also a man of God, Dr. Marcus is a rather subtle hero in the book as he tends to be the one to bring all of the other characters together. He is also just a really nice guy, and I had a bit of crush on him as I was reading.

While this book is definitely entertaining, I wouldn’t exactly call it a “light read.” It will make you think about religious, political, economic, and philosophical ideas. The author is obviously well-educated and did appropriate research to discuss a variety of issues. However, I never felt like the book promoted any specific religious or political agenda. It was simply a very insightful, fictional story of how one woman came to believe in God from her own experience.

I give this book a rating of 4 out of 4 stars. There were a handful of errors throughout the book, mostly in the form of missing periods at the end of short quotations, but these errors didn’t decrease the overall quality of the writing. They especially didn’t take away from my enjoyment of the story as a whole. I recommend this book to readers who are looking for a book with deep meaning. Get ready to meet some interesting characters along the way.

The Message?
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ALynnPowers's review? Post a comment saying so!
I think this review is fantastic ALynn. A very well done summary with a personal touch (I lolomg'd at your crush on Dr Marcus :) you also managed to assuage any fears someone may have about the perceived religious message, and I agree those fears are highly unfounded. You also touched on the political, social and philosophical aspects so that the reader would know that while the message was not overtly religious, they would be challenged to think about all these things regardless. Well done
"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." —Ernest Hemingway
Latest Review: "The Six and the Gardeners of Ialana" by Katlynn Brooke
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

Great review. This book sounds very interesting and I might just have to take the time to read it some day. I currently have a long list of books so it will have to wait.

~Thimble
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
Nathrad Sheare
Favorite Author: Hawthorne and Poe
Favorite Book: The Scarlet Letter
Currently Reading: Too much
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nathrad-sheare.html
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely

Post by Nathrad Sheare »

A lot of philosophy has been flying around lately, but the most interesting ideas, in my opinion, are the ones concerning God. This book sounds like a pretty good read as it seems to delve into what he really is. The book is not a pompously written collection of essays centered on the meaning of scripture, but a story meant to show and not tell us the mind of its writer and more. Thanks for the review, ALynnPowers!
Latest Review: "No Poverty Between the Sheets" by Pauline Kiely
Sir_Read_a_Lot
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sir-read-a-lot.html

Post by Sir_Read_a_Lot »

This review is pretty great! I feel like i read it through the way you reviewed it! Great job, now I want to read it :D
Stevefromtheblock
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stevefromtheblock.html
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol

Post by Stevefromtheblock »

Great review! I think I will read this soon!
Latest Review: "Short Shorts" by Alex Apostol
Lisalovecraft
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

Greats review! I just started reading this, it's very intense so far!!
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette
tracy19
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracy19.html
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh

Post by tracy19 »

Great review, very detailed and an interesting read.
Latest Review: "The Secret Book of Designs" by Catamount Mayhugh
LilianaG17
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by LilianaG17 »

I enjoyed reading your review. It sure made me want to read this book. It sounds very interesting & something I would definitely read. I love the cover!! :D
Click-a-bic
Favorite Author: Sir Conan Doyle
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 26174

Post by Click-a-bic »

I think the cliche goes "the eyes are windows to the soul" not tunnels. I haven't read this yet, but I'm a little confused. It's promoted as being a "thriller". How is this a thriller? None of the reviews/comments mentions anything about being a thriller.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A woman that saw God while she was in a coma? A book that both entertains and challenges readers? Sounds like a good read for fans of the genre. A great review indeed, but I am not sure it is for me. The cover sure is eye-catching! I am glad you enjoyed the book. :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
j_brower
Favorite Author: Jack London
Currently Reading: The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-brower.html
fav_author_id: 2993

Post by j_brower »

You described the book to such great detail in a way that made the book seem almost larger than life. Congrats on being featured.
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I didn't mind the eye and the book was interesting and compelling. As a Christian, I enjoy finding books that explore the subject. You did a fantastic job of writing about people and their faith. The characters were interesting and kept my attention and I wanted to know what was going to happen and you had a great ending that didn't leaving me hanging on wondering about anyone. Thank you for bringing such a wonderful book to us.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Nive_thereader
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nive-thereader.html

Post by Nive_thereader »

Thanks for the awesome review!!! Will definitely give this book a shot even though I have never opted for these kind of genres before.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

The book sounds very interesting, and the whole concept of waking up from a coma with a new spiritual outlook always boggles the mind.

However, the issue I have is that she says that God sent her with a simple message that he loves everyone unconditionally. The cynic in me asks how that can be really true. Sure, most people in the world are neither angelically good nor bad, but somewhere in between. But the truth is, that there are some very bad, even evil people in the world. How can there be unconditional love? Are there not always conditions?

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “"The Message?" by Avam Hale”