How important is internet in your life?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Robin jackson
Bookshelf Size: 0

How important is internet in your life?

Post by Robin jackson »

My life is impossible incomplete without internet .........and yours.
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

It's important, convenient, useful, entertaining etc but somehow I imagine we'd survive if it disappeared tomorrow. We forget in the West that there are millions of people on the planet who have never even hear of the internet.
The human race is immensely adaptable otherwise we would not have survived & I imagine we would, in time, find a way to adapt.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
StephenKingman
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephenkingman.html

Post by StephenKingman »

Very important to me, i pay all my bills online, do all my banking, send all my webtexts, book all my hotels, flights and holidays plus keep in touch via email, not to mention this forum for entertainment, so even though i have a low meg limit on my broadband, i can do all my personal finances without leaving the house (handy on a wet day like today) so that makes it pretty important to me. :D
You only live once.....so live!
Hannellene

Post by Hannellene »

The "internet" is a gigantic library, as well as a world-wide message board, telephone network, and publishing medium. It is open 24 hours a day, and I can find anything I want there, and say anything I want.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

For me its very important for communication with my friends and family in the states. Phone calls are very expensive from Mexico, I have a Magic Jack phone I use to call the states. If I lived in the US I could probably get by without it, only I wouldnt have the fun stuff like this forum. I dont bank online, that seems a little scary to me, altho theres usually no money in my account, hackers wouldnt want to bother with my piddily little bit.. :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Maud Fitch
Favorite Author: Jasper Fforde
Favorite Book: The Eyre Affair
fav_author_id: 4856

Post by Maud Fitch »

Let's just say I don't want the internet to be too important in my life.....
"Every story has three sides to it - yours, mine and the facts" Foster Meharny Russell
Bergamot

Post by Bergamot »

Its very important in my life, for keeping in touch with family living far away and for banking.

I love the 'immediacy' of information but think it can also be a 'time waster'. I have to rein myself back, otherwise before you know it that's another hour gone by! Would love to know how people monitor their own usage to get the best out of the internet. I would not want to be without though.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

How true that is. Sometimes I have a hard time to turn it off and do something useful. (Like now) Im on 3 different foroms and by the time I answer all the posts The day is shot.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Tenglangtrade

Post by Tenglangtrade »

In a word,I can't do without the Internet.
DavidB52

Post by DavidB52 »

It is not vital to me; I could live without it.

But it is a huge enhancement. Even though I might live in a pretty boring city with little that interests me, I can log onto the Internet and get immediate access to almost corner of the world and keep up on activities and events that actually do interest me.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Its a good source of information. I like to look up things about people, events in history things like that.
A24

Post by A24 »

I didn't realize how much I missed it until my home PC was corrupted. Still not fixed so I have to use my iPhone (not real convenient for internet), my work PC, or use my daughter's. I'm sure I could live without it, but it sure does make life a lot more convenient and information/news easily accessible. My kids don't know life before the internet! I remember when I was a kid, I would have to go to encyclopedias or the library (hopefully, it was open when I needed it) to look up something. Now, just Google it, and you have your answer! Great for communication too. I also remember a job in the past (before email) and I had to print off meeting minutes and distribute them around the building. Things sure have changed! The internet also brings things in we don't want too - scary world for kids that must be very well monitored by parents. Too many weirdos out there lurking. My Facebook account was a great way to communicate but recent changes have made the security questionable. When I get my PC back and working, I'm thinking about disabling my FB account.
“The Bible is worth all the other books which have ever been printed.”
~Patrick Henry
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

For me it's very important,to talk to my family and friends,and of course playing games.
Ant
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

I could live without it, indeed did live without it for the best part of my life, but I wouldn't choose to live without it now.
tonya10057
Favorite Author: Nora Roberts
Favorite Book: honest illusions
Currently Reading: The next always
fav_author_id: 3258

Post by tonya10057 »

Actually I went without the internet for a long time,at my house,I went to the mcdonald's to get on the internet there.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”