Ever experienced a natural disaster?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
pawpoint
Favorite Author: Robert rankin
Favorite Book: Raiders of the Lost Car Park
Currently Reading: Robert Anton Wilson
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 8853

Re: Ever experienced a natural disaster?

Post by pawpoint »

I have been in the hurricane in South East England, and our town was also flooded to about 5 feet deep. I found a man and his dog who had been swept down the river in the flood who were thankfully both alive
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

We had a storm a couple years ago that washed out bridges on the main highway going north and wiped out whole communities. My house was on an island, I nothing moved for a couple weeks. Im not sure if anyone was hurt or not in this area but I think there were some people hurt or killed in Ti Juana. We had a tsunami scare last year, but it was a false alarm.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
robind13
Currently Reading: The Lullaby Sky
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-robind13.html
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey

Post by robind13 »

yes, I was in a blizzard where the whole city lost power for over a week and the temp was -25 degrees and no one had heat or hardly food
Latest Review: "Hello, My Love" by Evy Journey
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

Does my PC crashing count?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Fran, I would think so. These days that would be comparable with an asteroid striking the earth. :lol:
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Multiple blizzards and a few nasty ice storms in my life. That's about as bad as it has gotten for me.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

We have earthquakes all the time in Tokyo, but I've never experienced one of the disastrous ones. I lived in a different part of Japan when the big one happened in 2011, but even that affected us due to people buying up stuff in the stores to send to family/friends in the damaged areas.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

We get rumbles here every now and then, but no big deal. Theres a volcano about 20 kilometers south of here that puffs of smoke come out of sometimes. They say it erupts every 600 years. It last erupted 600 years ago. Wonder if I should be concerned? :animals-dogrun:
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

Bighuey wrote:We get rumbles here every now and then, but no big deal. Theres a volcano about 20 kilometers south of here that puffs of smoke come out of sometimes. They say it erupts every 600 years. It last erupted 600 years ago. Wonder if I should be concerned? :animals-dogrun:
Hahah! Yeah, we're pretty much waiting for Mt. Fuji to blow any day now as well! 8)

I think we're fine though. ;)
RJohnReves
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnreves.html

Post by RJohnReves »

I have experienced earthquakes, tornados, and blizzards. Not on the same day tho.
The only devestating natural disaster I have been subjected to is my last romantic relationship.
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Ive had a few of those myself. :lol:

When I was a kid in Lewiston, Idaho in 1949 they had a really bad winter. The Clearwater river froze over and when the thaw came chunks of ice as big as houses mixed with logs they floated downriver to the pulp mill at Lewiston tore out bridges, flooded part of the town and made a real mess. Where the Clearwater connected with the Snake buildings were washed away and some were found miles down the river. At Moscow, up the hill on the prairie about 30 miles away it got down to 60 below zero. Cars would freeze up while driving them. People who lived there said the very air was blue. As far as I know, they havent had a winter like that since. Lewiston is normally a very mild climate, they call it the banana belt. An old lady who lived next door grew tobacco and made her own cigars. Hotter than hell in the summer, tho.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

RJohnReves wrote:I have experienced earthquakes, tornados, and blizzards. Not on the same day tho.
The only devestating natural disaster I have been subjected to is my last romantic relationship.
This made me laugh so hard.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Hm... I live in Louisville, and several years back, we experienced the following in rapid succession: a windstorm from a hurricane, hailstorms, a flash flood that destroyed all the new books in the main library's basement downtown, and then an ice storm that uprooted trees onto houses and cars.

The windstorm was unlike anything I've experienced. Obviously, Louisville is pretty land-locked and you don't expect hurricanes to come here. As such, I've never really experienced a hurricane. Albeit we only got hurricane winds, but I still remember sitting out on the porch and watching a child's ball blow from all the way to my left to all the way to my right. Spooky. Then we started getting hail here, and never before in my life had I seen hail, but suddenly, it seems to happen here twice a year now! (It must be the end of times.)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:

Post by ALynnPowers »

These tiny earthquakes still scare me half to death!
gracepine11
Favorite Author: Kate DiCamillo
Favorite Book: Flora and Ulysess
Currently Reading: Carry On, Mr. Bowditch
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracepine11.html
fav_author_id: 3660

Post by gracepine11 »

Earthquakes, hurricanes, and lava flows! Just the kind of place I live. I'm not even twenty years old!
Early to bed and early to rise makes a man stupid and blind in the eyes." Mazer Rackham from the book Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”