Do you believe in a God?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.

Do you believe in a God?

I believe AND I know he exists.
51%
I believe, but I don't know for certain he exists.
13%
I don't believe because I don't know if he exists.
13%
I don't believe and I know God doesn't exist.
14%
I have no idea and I don't really care.
6%
Pacific Ocean.
4%

Total votes: 71

cathy1958
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you believe in a God?

Post by cathy1958 »

YES and I am sure of His existence.
Lhall22
Favorite Author: Sue Grafton
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhall22.html
fav_author_id: 3282

Post by Lhall22 »

I was raised catholic, however, my parents and many of my immediate family members do not believe in God. Personally, I like to think there is some higher power however, at the same time I can't believe in god because of everything bad that happens. what god, who is supposed to love us, would let these horrible things happen to us? examples: Where was he when my mother fell down concrete stairs, resulting in her having a subdural hematoma? we didn't know if she'd live or not. where was he when she had a brain tumor that had to be removed? where was he when my friend took her life? where was he when my uncle died in a motercycle accident? I'm sorry, but too many bad things happen where I can't really believe.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

absolutely, no doubt about it............
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

When the world says no way, Yahweh! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Yahweh, all the way! 8)
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Post by Himmelslicht »

I don't have a religion and don't want one. I know something may exist out there but for the time being I'm not much concerned about it.
They call this gnostic atheism but I have no idea, eh.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

No I don't believe in God. I was not raised with any religion and I never needed it. When I was younger I joined a group at a church. I told the pastor how I felt. He told me I had to have faith. Therein lies my biggest problem. I cannot have faith in something/someone I cannot see, touch or feel.

I live my life by one saying…"I treat people the way I want to be treated"

I don't want to be talked or gossiped about so I don't do it about others.
I don't want people to be mean to me so I am not mean to to others.
I don't want to be stolen from so I don't do it to others.
I don't want to be lied to so I don't lie to others…or as my family calls it "we don't blow sunshine up your butt to make you happy", lol.

And this is the most important one to me….
I don't want to be judged so I don't judge other instead I try to understand their choices and beliefs.

Etc. etc. etc.

I don't understand how people can claim to be Christian but not accept all kinds of people regardless of race, color, faith, sexual orientation, wealth, etc.
That really bothers me.

It's really simple. Too bad many people don't seem to follow that one simple rule.

I do really like the Native American Commandments

1. Treat the Earth and all that dwell thereon with respect.

2. Remain close to the Great Spirit, in all that you do.(this I take as my inner spirit and strength)

3. Show great respect for your fellow beings.
(Especially Respect yourself)

4. Work together for the benefit of all Mankind.

5. Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.

6. Do what you know to be right.
(But be careful not to fall into self-righteousness)

7. Look after the well being of mind and body.

8. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.

9. Be truthful and honest at all times.
(Especially be truthful and honest with your self)

10. Take full responsibility for your actions
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Raised Pentecostal...left the "church" years ago. Converted to a Zen Buddhist philosophy (atheistic in nature) about seven years ago. So to answer the question- No I do not.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
ylisa7
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>

Post by ylisa7 »

Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:Raised Pentecostal...left the "church" years ago. Converted to a Zen Buddhist philosophy (atheistic in nature) about seven years ago. So to answer the question- No I do not.
I just looked up The Ethical Precepts of Zen Buddhism. It seems pretty easy to follow except for #1," I will be mindful and reverential with all life, I will not be violent nor will I kill."

Does that mean you can't hunt for food if needed? Are all Buddhists vegetarians or am I being too literal again?
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

ylisa7 wrote:
Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:Raised Pentecostal...left the "church" years ago. Converted to a Zen Buddhist philosophy (atheistic in nature) about seven years ago. So to answer the question- No I do not.
I just looked up The Ethical Precepts of Zen Buddhism. It seems pretty easy to follow except for #1," I will be mindful and reverential with all life, I will not be violent nor will I kill."

Does that mean you can't hunt for food if needed? Are all Buddhists vegetarians or am I being too literal again?
I am Zen Buddhist and where a great many Buddhists are vegetarians...many are not. I am an omnivore and have hunted and fished throughout my life...although these days the meat I consume is typically from Kroger...lol! Through the centuries (Buddhism pre-dates Christianity nearly 600 years) different sects and "rules" have sprung up...but I think the Dalai Lama says it best: My religion is compassion.

There is a tendency to over-think these things.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

ylisa7 wrote:No I don't believe in God. I was not raised with any religion and I never needed it. When I was younger I joined a group at a church. I told the pastor how I felt. He told me I had to have faith. Therein lies my biggest problem. I cannot have faith in something/someone I cannot see, touch or feel.

I live my life by one saying…"I treat people the way I want to be treated"

I don't want to be talked or gossiped about so I don't do it about others.
I don't want people to be mean to me so I am not mean to to others.
I don't want to be stolen from so I don't do it to others.
I don't want to be lied to so I don't lie to others…or as my family calls it "we don't blow sunshine up your butt to make you happy", lol.

And this is the most important one to me….
I don't want to be judged so I don't judge other instead I try to understand their choices and beliefs.

Etc. etc. etc.

I don't understand how people can claim to be Christian but not accept all kinds of people regardless of race, color, faith, sexual orientation, wealth, etc.
That really bothers me.

It's really simple. Too bad many people don't seem to follow that one simple rule.

I do really like the Native American Commandments

1. Treat the Earth and all that dwell thereon with respect.

2. Remain close to the Great Spirit, in all that you do.(this I take as my inner spirit and strength)

3. Show great respect for your fellow beings.
(Especially Respect yourself)

4. Work together for the benefit of all Mankind.

5. Give assistance and kindness wherever needed.

6. Do what you know to be right.
(But be careful not to fall into self-righteousness)

7. Look after the well being of mind and body.

8. Dedicate a share of your efforts to the greater good.

9. Be truthful and honest at all times.
(Especially be truthful and honest with your self)

10. Take full responsibility for your actions
So interesting! I identify myself with all of this. I didn't know about the Ten Native American Commandments and they really resonate a lot of what I try to be and do every day.

Don't know if you know Krishnamurti (my favorite thinker!), but here's a little quote of his that describes a lot what I think:
“When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.”

I really have to read his books.
- Gustave Flaubert
ylisa7

Post by ylisa7 »

Carla Hurst-Chandler wrote:
ylisa7 wrote:

I am Zen Buddhist and where a great many Buddhists are vegetarians...many are not. I am an omnivore and have hunted and fished throughout my life...although these days the meat I consume is typically from Kroger...lol! Through the centuries (Buddhism pre-dates Christianity nearly 600 years) different sects and "rules" have sprung up...but I think the Dalai Lama says it best: My religion is compassion.

There is a tendency to over-think these things.
Ah…thanks for the clarification. I do tend to over think and be too literal, lol. My stepdaughter calls me Literal Lisa :lol:

-- 08 Dec 2014, 10:37 --
Himmelslicht wrote:
So interesting! I identify myself with all of this. I didn't know about the Ten Native American Commandments and they really resonate a lot of what I try to be and do every day.

Don't know if you know Krishnamurti (my favorite thinker!), but here's a little quote of his that describes a lot what I think:
“When you call yourself an Indian or a Muslim or a Christian or a European, or anything else, you are being violent. Do you see why it is violent? Because you are separating yourself from the rest of mankind. When you separate yourself by belief, by nationality, by tradition, it breeds violence. So a man who is seeking to understand violence does not belong to any country, to any religion, to any political party or partial system; he is concerned with the total understanding of mankind.”

I find many different religions fascinating. There are "some" good lessons to be learned in all religions.

Interesting quote and I can agree to an extent. We should all be united but sadly that is impossible. We have all been raised differently, have different life experiences and different beliefs. That in itself doesn't make us violent just different. I have a problem when a religion excludes certain people or cultures because of their beliefs. While history does prove that religion is the cause of much violence and so many deaths it will not go away. I wish we could have a true understanding of all mankind. What a nice world that would be.

It's kind of like the song Imagine by John Lennon. Great lyrics and intent but still delusional in the world we live in.

Try to find the good where you can, be a good example, and get rid of the toxic people in your life :wink:
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

ylisa7 wrote:
Himmelslicht wrote:

I find many different religions fascinating. There are "some" good lessons to be learned in all religions.

Interesting quote and I can agree to an extent. We should all be united but sadly that is impossible. We have all been raised differently, have different life experiences and different beliefs. That in itself doesn't make us violent just different. I have a problem when a religion excludes certain people or cultures because of their beliefs. While history does prove that religion is the cause of much violence and so many deaths it will not go away. I wish we could have a true understanding of all mankind. What a nice world that would be.

It's kind of like the song Imagine by John Lennon. Great lyrics and intent but still delusional in the world we live in.

Try to find the good where you can, be a good example, and get rid of the toxic people in your life :wink:
Oh definitely. I know because I live almost in a way that's Utopic for most people (I'm vegan, an animal activist, also donate old clothes, food and money whenever possible) but I try not to be uptight or self-righteous, because I truly am doing what I think it's best for me, for the planet and generations to come.
Of course I have so many flaws I can't even begin with, but one day at a time, aha. :)
I think the world needs more delusional people though, don't you agree?
- Gustave Flaubert
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

As someon said what matters is does God believe in Me?
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I believe in a God, someone put us here. But I think Satan controls everything, God has nothing to do with the running of things but one day He will step in and wipe everything out except for a very few believers and the rest of us will go to destruction.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”