Do you believe in a God?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.

Do you believe in a God?

I believe AND I know he exists.
51%
I believe, but I don't know for certain he exists.
13%
I don't believe because I don't know if he exists.
13%
I don't believe and I know God doesn't exist.
14%
I have no idea and I don't really care.
6%
Pacific Ocean.
4%

Total votes: 71

PashaRu
Currently Reading: Vicars of Christ - The Dark Side of the Papacy
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pasharu.html
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd

Re: Do you believe in a God?

Post by PashaRu »

Jolyon Trevelyan wrote:Ah yes the glorious Hindu Trinity. Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva
Or the Egyptian trinity Amun, Re, and Ptah. Or the Sumerian trinity Anu, Enlil, and Enki. Or the Greek triad of Zeus, Athena, and Apollo.

Fact is, triune gods can be found across many civilizations throughout history. Scores of them. So it's not terribly surprising that this idea was adopted/absorbed into "Christianity." Largely because of Constantine and two church councils held in the 4th century - the Council of Nicea in 325 and Council of Constantinople in 381 - this has become one of the main doctrines of "Christianity."
[Insert quote here. Read. Raise an eyebrow. Be mildly amused. Rinse & repeat.]
Latest Review: "Damn Females on the Lawn" by Rachel Hurd
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Fran wrote:The more important question is Does God believe in you?
Good point, Fran.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

What is the concept of God.

I believe that God is perfection in all His attributes. For example, we are mortal, He is Everliving. We are merciful and kind to others but God is The Most-Merciful and the Kindest one. We try and establish justice on earth. But God is the Most Just. It is like everything we know is finite, the world, the Universe.
We think it is infinite. But it is not. God is the infinite and we are his creation.

As for all the bad and evil on earth. Well, if there was no bad how would you know what good was?

Well that's how I see it ;)

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

How anybody can say they know God exist is beyond me.
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
cgoss74
Favorite Author: Danielle Steel
Currently Reading: Follow You Home
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cgoss74.html
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK
fav_author_id: 3250

Post by cgoss74 »

I believe in God and His power to love and protect us.
Latest Review: "A Better Part of Heaven" by Mike Lee
Barney56
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Barney56 »

Absolutely not.
Mrs-Codices
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrs-codices.html

Post by Mrs-Codices »

Most assuredly God is with us all!
sacha_arrak
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sacha-arrak.html
Reading Device: B00K2O4TI8

Post by sacha_arrak »

Why don't you ask God if He is there? Have a desire to know if He's there, don't ask flippantly. You will get an answer.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure...but there is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you...As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. -M.W.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Nice answer! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Makes sense.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Dan_Wellock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dan-wellock.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Dan_Wellock »

Yes! I KNOW He exists. I have had repeated confirmation that He lives and is the creator of worlds. I have felt the Spirit. I have been baptized and confirmed as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Nothing has ever been so sure in my mind. My life and the lives of my relatives and loved ones have been saved through miracles. Prayer, Priesthood blessings, and many other miraculous parts of the church have blessed my life, healed me from sickness, and saved me from fear, hatred, even death itself.
There is a lot of doubt in people’s minds about the existence of a Father In Heaven and a Messiah. This is a true shame because for the whole existence of humankind, there have been miracles after miracles. People have been shown blatantly the existence of a higher power, and yet they simply do not believe. I wonder how my Father feels about that. I know that I would feel so much sorrow if my children cursed me, used me, and even doubted and preached that I do not exist. This is the work of the Adversary, for their IS a God, and He loves us more than anything else. He wishes for out salvation, and that is His mission: To bring to pass the eternal life and salvation of mankind. If we but believed what was right before our eyes, He could work such miracles amount us. Why don’t we believe? Jesus Christ is the leader of the true church, working under direction of our Father. This is true, and truer than anything else in history. I have seen both the Father and the Son in my life many times. All it took was an open and believing heart and a want to choose the right. I bet that all of you can see the truth of Them as well. But remember that whoever you are, whatever you have done, you are NEVER beyond saving. And always remember that He loves YOU.
“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray :techie-studyinggray:
Wisdom begins in wonder.” Socrates :techie-reference:

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”