What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Welcome to Films and Books Forum, the place to chat about movies, post movie reviews, compare a book to its film adaptation, discuss what makes a good book-to-film adaptation, and suggest books which you think would make a great movie adaption.
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is the last movie you saw, and rating?

Post by suzy1124 »

chacun a son gout!
Last edited by suzy1124 on 17 Jul 2014, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I did when I was younger. I went to movies quite a lot. But as I got older, my old bones cant handle those cramped seats.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I can't stand the YAKKING

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
victoria_lynn

Post by victoria_lynn »

The Fault in Our Stars and I just re-watched Endless Love! Those are two amazing movies! I cried so much! 10 out of 10 for both!
NateHyphen

Post by NateHyphen »

Last time en Teotro was for Heat. Never again. Foreigners go to theaters, not because
they're interested in the movie playing. They've got nothing better to do. I read a portion
of Freakonomics, Suzy. About Stetson Kennedy, who supposedly infiltrated The Klan
and took them down in the 40's and 50's. I'm skeptical. The Klan was still alive and well
as late as 1964, when they murdered Medger Evers and the three civil rights workers in
Mississippi. I'm still unclear about "freakonomic's" ability to solve crimes. Are the authors of the method saying that anybody with a working knowledge of economics
has a decided advantage in solving crimes over someone whose background is "merely" law enforcement. Can all crime be reduced to a common denominator: exigent financial circumstances? 19 terrorists took down the WTC because economic conditions in their country of origin, Saudi Arabia, were so patently unfair? They were
protesting the latest in-flight menu changes which included the option to substitute
a pork chop for a falafel in the run between Cow Pie and Pony Loaf, Colorado? Buoys
and Gulls, I think the jury is still sea sick on this one.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA on the " pork chop and falafel "...hilarious analogy, I needed the laugh today...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
NateHyphen

Post by NateHyphen »

Ring of Fire Emille Griffith Benny Paret
Not for the feint of heart. In fact, there is more to not recommend it. The movie is
an expanded look at the most vicious 2 minutes of boxing in the history of that sport.
The 2 minutes are fought by Emille Griffith in the twelfth round of his fight with Benny
Paret in July of 1962 at Madison Square Gardens. I have omitted Paret's name when describing that round, because he was never a part of it. Not as a competitor, anyway.
Witnesses to the round vary in the time frame and number of punches delivered to Paret's defenseless torso. In fact, they were delivered almost exclusively to his head.
After Griffith's fourth punch, all of them unanswered, Paret was defenseless. When he left the ring he was in a coma and died 10 days later in the hospital he was taken to.
From that night ,until Ring of Fire went into production, Griffith never talked about the
fight. He did respond to questions about Paret's characterization of him as a "maricon", Spanish slang for "******." Paret had directed the word at Griffith each time they fought, most noticeably at the weigh ins. Griffth wanted to do battle at the weigh ins, but his manager persuaded him to lock up the prize money first. It would be easy
to call Paret one of the biggest fools ever to put on the gloves. There have been a lot of them. But the pall that fell over Madison Square Gardens that night and had taken
over the public debate was not created by the failings of either boxer. The pall reflected the collective guilty conscience of the crowd. Who knew they were witnesses
to a terrible crime. A life had been taken and many of us cringed at the thought that
we had witnessed a murder.
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

We used to have Hollywood Bar and Filmsworks (sadlygone now) Adults only. First run movies. Reasonaby priced. Full menu (think stuffed shrimp and such as well as burgers and pizza or a salad) and beer/wine/mixed drinks. It was amazing! Worth the drive to downtown Indy!
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
NateHyphen

Post by NateHyphen »

Thank you Carla. Thank you for that. Could there be anything less appropriate,
less constructive to the ongoing extreme unction Mr. Hyphen found himself ensconced
in than "stuffed shrimp, burgers, and pizza." I'm normally amused by the arrogance of
a buffoon when the buffoon runs pell mell into the rotating blades of grief or sorrow
or the last rites of a boxer who has died from a vicious beating in front of millions of
people. Normally? Never. I wish to amend the previous sentence:
I'm never amused by buffoons

-- 18 Jul 2014, 05:19 --

How does one describe a round of a championship prize fight without mentioning both boxers? It was done by Griffith himself. Each punch was potentially the coup de grace,
the blow that severs the victim from his life. Griffith announced each one with a snort
and a release of pinched air from his nostrils. As they became more rapid, and more lethal, the snort increased in volume, and the duration of the released air was reduced
to almost nothing. The last blows of the fight appeared to be an arm delivering one rapid, staccatoed belt with a leather glove attached to it.

a leathered fist attached to it.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Just finished Netflix's " House of Cards ".............kudos to Kevin Spacey!....

yes!!!!!!!!!! politicians really are as bad as we think...even WORSE!...

GRIPPING, COMPELLING, SUSPENSEFUL....not one dull moment, the WRITING far surpasses anything out there..........

I give it a 10+

-- 18 Jul 2014, 06:22 --

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
alex_
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alex.html

Post by alex_ »

Neighbors and it was a great movie, thumbs up.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

American Hustle................very fast paced entertaining movie, I give it an 8...( loosely based on the FBI /ABSCOM /operation )

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

A re-watch of Sideways...love the film 9/10 :lol:
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
NateHyphen

Post by NateHyphen »

About Schmidt Jack Nicholson
Schmidt(Nicholson), a retired actuary living in a land defined by the bell curve
and standard deviation, announces to no one in particular, that his wife has died
on the john. I'm entranced! It's only ten minutes into the movie and he is at his
deadpan best. It only gets better!!!!
karanmehra

Post by karanmehra »

hate love story 2 last seen movie by me...

Return to “Films and Books”