Gardening!

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
boog
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boog.html

Gardening!

Post by boog »

I was wondering if any of you guys enjoy gardening as much as I do?

If so, what are you excited to grow this year?!

Me? I'm excited to grow just about anything: my children threw out $500 worth of seeds because they thought it was trash due to the envelopes being inside a Walmart bag. I guess that will teach me to store things, even just temporarily, in bags that they use to help clean up the living room sometimes.

:oops:
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Ouch. That's a pretty expensive lesson.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
LadyLilly
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladylilly.html

Post by LadyLilly »

I have made plans to have a garden this year...this will be my first!
I am excited to get started, and keeping my fingers crossed that at least something will grow.
I bought some books on gardening so I'm hopeful.
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Both my mother and grandmother are really into gardening, but that trait seems to have skipped a generation with me. I can barely keep a cactus alive. Heck, if my cat didn't constantly make herself known by meowing I'd probably forget to feed her as well.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Me *raising hand*

I am particularly interested in ornamental gardening. I do have two fig bushes (some call them trees) which are the only edible plants I grow. Last year I picked about 1000 figs - Bensonhurst Purple variety otherwise known as Chicago Hardy.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

This is the 9th year for our local Community Garden--I started having a plot there the first year, because I have a very shady yard at my house, and the Community Garden is right across the street. I'll be growing some tomatoes, spinach, basil, and a few more things that I like to have for recipes.
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Cowgirl888
Currently Reading: The 13th Demon
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cowgirl888.html

Post by Cowgirl888 »

We grow a big garden which consists of at least 10 tomatoe plants, a couple of bell peppers, at least 10 rows which are about 15 feet long of beets, squash, zucchini, cucumbers and whatever else we can get starts of at our local feed store. We love canning so having a big garden is a must every year.
DaniHarner
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daniharner.html
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox

Post by DaniHarner »

I love planting sun flower seeds and seeing how tall I can get my flowers! Last year my tallest was 6 feet 1 inch!!
Latest Review: "Wrong Turn, Right Guy" by Haylie B. Fox
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

I have been gardening every year I have lived in my current home which is going on 18 years. We have a 60 X 80 plot. I usually have tomatoes, cucumbers, squash and zucchini, beets, egg plant, green beans, some spices and every once in a while things like gourds just for fun. I make homemade pickles, salsa, pasta sauce, and other variations of canned goods. My grandmother always canned and I learned at her elbow. My dad was a farmer (vegetables) and I grew up in a field, picking and packing the produce and selling it at the farmer's market. I spent countless hours picking squash (3 acre field) and suckering and tying tomatoes. This taught me the value of hard work and the idea of the fruits of my labor. I enjoy the process of planting and caring for the plants and watching them grow and thrive. I do not enjoy how the weather can be a challenge. If it is too wet, diseases can take over. If it is too dry, then issues arise as well. I love it when the weather is perfect and I am able to harvest a daily bounty that I can use to feed my family!

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”