The Endless Need of a Book Club

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Ashley Vieau
Currently Reading: Poetry as Survival
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-vieau.html

The Endless Need of a Book Club

Post by Ashley Vieau »

For some time now I have been trying to conjure up some friends to create a book club with me. I find it very hard to not have someone to discuss the current book that I am reading with. There's just something about discussing it, whether it's agreeing or arguing about what is happening in the book. I wonder why it has become so much harder to find readers willing to commit to a book club. Is there something that I am missing? Is there anyone else that has had a similar issue? What did you do to help find friends or get friends motivated to commit to a book club?
LorriePaige1
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorriepaige1.html

Post by LorriePaige1 »

Don't jinx me!

I'm planning on starting a book club in July, and I hope it's successful.

I think people tend to have a shorter and shorter attention span with each generation, and we have so much entertainment to choose from, unfortunately many people are bored with reading books.

I would suggest having a book club that is a popular genre, like a mystery, fantasy or sci-fi book club. You can also read a series by a very popular author. Have members read no more than one book a month, and preferably discuss the book at a cafe or restaurant, since going out to eat is a popular group activity. You can offer free prizes (yes bribe them to join!) for members who come to the book club, say, 6 months in a row. You can make it more fun by having a themed book club; whatever is going on that's major in the book to be read, you can re-create it. For instance, if the book is set in Italy, you can have the meet at an Italian restaurant. If the book is a period piece, you can have members bring or wear at least one replica period piece item.

So those are a few ideas you can try out. Good luck with your book club!

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”