Who is your favorite philosopher

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Jolyon Trevelyan
Favorite Author: Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Bookshelf Size: 10
fav_author_id: 2563

Who is your favorite philosopher

Post by Jolyon Trevelyan »

That is my question

Mt favorite is Arthur Schopenhauer
A mistake is simply another way of doing things
Nausikaa
Currently Reading: the hero with a thousand faces
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nausikaa.html

Post by Nausikaa »

Hm, I've never read Schopenhauer, though I've meant to for a while. I like reading Plato, though I'm not sure I think he's right about everything (or most things). The mellow-but-sarcastic way he characterizes Socrates is priceless.

I also like Nietzsche, but I think that might just be because reading him makes me feel cool. :P I'm into classics, so The Birth of Tragedy is a favorite of mine.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I'm bit fan of the philosoraptor. 8)
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Schopenhauer was a real character ... he always ate at the same restaurant and each night he would put a gold coin on the corner of his table. At the end of his meal he would put the coin back into his pocket before he left. Finally, an exasperated waiter asked him what was the meaning of this daily custom to which he replied that he had vowed that the first time the conversation of the military men eating at the same restaurant was not about horses, women or weapons he would deposit the coin in the local poor box. *LOL*

I cannot pick just one favorite, but if I had to, I would say Voltaire.

Nausikaa - You're right. Plato is overrated.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by debbiebee »

I have a soft spot for Wittgenstein, but think his most famous maxim, 'Worueber man nicht sprechen kann, darueber soll man schweigen' is often very badly rendered as 'Whereof you cannot speak, thereof remain silent'. If you know nothing, shut your trap would be pithier! Bit of trivia, he had a brother who was a one-armed pianist.
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”