Have you ever overheard something really odd?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
debbiebee
Favorite Book: The Secret History
Bookshelf Size: 4

Have you ever overheard something really odd?

Post by debbiebee »

Of course I don't eavesdrop - well, not much :lol: - but sometimes you just can't help overhearing something that REALLY makes you wonder! I once caught the end of a conversation that concluded with a frustrated 'You're worse than the dog!' and passed by someone who observed 'I blame it on the spaghetti.'
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

Hahaha, that reminds me of something I would say to my husband when he, ummmmmm smells bad and tends to stink up the house. He usually has some random food to blame!
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

When I was in grad school, there was only one male student in my whole program. One day, a female professor called for students to help out with a research project she was working on, and he volunteered. The next day, he was telling some other classmates about it, and I overheard this:

Guy: She told me it wouldn't hurt, but it did!
Other random girl: **mumble mumble some unintelligible question*
Guy: It was really thick! I thought it would be smaller, but it was like this big around.
(I assume that he holds up his fingers in a ring to show the thickness)
Guy: Then she goes, "I'm going to put some Vaseline on it, so it slides in easy." But it didn't slide in easy at all. It hurt, really bad!
(The professor he was talking about happened to walk in the room at that exact moment, stopped, and just stared at us with wide eyes.)
Professor: It's not what you're thinking!

Turns out she had just put an endoscope up his nose to take a picture/video of his vocal chords. 8)
Ealasaid
Favorite Author: Unfair To Ask That
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 284">Emily of New Moon</a>
Currently Reading: The Princes of Ireland: The Dublin Saga
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ealasaid.html
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Ealasaid »

ALynnPowers wrote:When I was in grad school, there was only one male student in my whole program. One day, a female professor called for students to help out with a research project she was working on, and he volunteered. The next day, he was telling some other classmates about it, and I overheard this:

Guy: She told me it wouldn't hurt, but it did!
Other random girl: **mumble mumble some unintelligible question*
Guy: It was really thick! I thought it would be smaller, but it was like this big around.
(I assume that he holds up his fingers in a ring to show the thickness)
Guy: Then she goes, "I'm going to put some Vaseline on it, so it slides in easy." But it didn't slide in easy at all. It hurt, really bad!
(The professor he was talking about happened to walk in the room at that exact moment, stopped, and just stared at us with wide eyes.)
Professor: It's not what you're thinking!

Turns out she had just put an endoscope up his nose to take a picture/video of his vocal chords. 8)
:laughing-rollingyellow:
"I dwell in Possibility" - Emily Dickinson
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Wuh-Oh! ALynn, that's shocking!! I loved it.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Today I overheard these two old grandpas at the table next to me at a restaurant talking about me in Japanese (they didn't think I could speak Japanese). They were wondering if I had a boyfriend. :o
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

Ooooh. I would've answered them in perfect, fluent Japanese. Please tell us you did so.

-- 17 May 2015, 22:53 --

I never overhear anything at all because I'm half-deaf. I WISH I could overhear stuff.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

When my oldest son was around 15 or so I overheard a conversation he was having with a friend who was about the same age. They were bragging about all the girls they did and how they did what to who and how good it was and so forth. If either one of then had the chance at that age to hop in the sack with a hot young teen-age girl they would have probably run the other way. I didnt confront them, let them have their fantasy.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”