50BookPledge

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
FlorenceDupuis
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florencedupuis.html

50BookPledge

Post by FlorenceDupuis »

Hey!
I hope this is okay to post here, and if ever it is not and I got something wrong here, I am apologize, and do let me know.
I was just wondering if any of you were on the 50bookpledge.ca site (which I think is open to every country even though it's Canadian). I thought it'd be fun to know who was on it, and where you were with the pledge, but mostly I thought most of you probably don't know this site, but it's a very cool one and I think some of you might like it. I am not trying to do any adverstising or whatever, I am just a regular user of said site, and unless I am wrong, it's not a site that makes money with this or whatever.
Unless you can read 50 book in like 6 weeks, you really don't have any point in joining now, but soon yes, as 2015 is comming soon. So the idea is that your register, at any time of the year, but the sooner the better, and you make a pledge (vow) to read 50 books this year. You can pledge for more, like 75, 100, 150 or 200, but I would not recommand bitting off more than you can chew. Then, each time you finish a book, you add it to your "read" shelf. I think it's really motivating, as it gives you a reason to read. I don't know if this happens to y'all, but I have periods where I read like A LOT and periods where I just don't want to read. That being my case, this helps me find the motivation to read when I am in a "low reading period". A fun thing is you can earn badges (no, they don't do anything, it's just for the fun/honor of it). You earn badges for treshold of books read (like 50, but there is some before, like 25, 10 and 5 I think). You also earn a badge if you read a book that is on one of their featured read, which changes every so often, and there is certain badges that are specific to book titles or author. They try to get more each year, so we might get more in 2015!
2014 is my first year, so I don't know exactly what happens when the year resets, what you lose or not. If you were there in 2013 and know, please post in the comments below, I'd be very interrested in knowing. Tell me what you think, and if we'll be running together next year!
Oh, p.s: there is sometimes giveaways of real, physical copies of books there. Generally like, a bunch of books together, probably to make promotion, as the site is made by Harper Collins Canada.
pretzelsnow
Favorite Author: Lynn Austin
Favorite Book: Long Time Coming by Edie Claire
Currently Reading: Silas Marner by George Elliot
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pretzelsnow.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 7595

Post by pretzelsnow »

Very good idea.I will look into this.
When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.
— Walter Lippmann
Artiste8
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Artiste8 »

I do this on Goodreads, same idea. I pledged 70 books and I am almost there.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Sounds like nothing but fun to me! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”