Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Tracey Neal
Favorite Author: Nicholas Sparks
Favorite Book: The Hundred Dresses
Bookshelf Size: 0
fav_author_id: 2460

Post by Tracey Neal »

Dude! I'm going to take this entire thread here...roll her up..and smmmoooke her! Your thoughts....will forever be in my HAZE...sweet :wink:
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

socialsue wrote: In my opinion alcohol is way more damaging than marijuana.
I totally agree! I also think that cigarettes cause WAY more problems than marijuana does.

I also think that legalization of marijuana will ease up the court system, as much of it is bogged down by all of these "criminals". If we put people in jail for possession then they are just merely going to be learning how to become "real" criminals!
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

Star wrote: Well I'm meeting him for drinks tonight, you know cause I'm his high class..Very high paid (prostitute)...but I'll keep it on the hush hush :wink: lol
You're a courtesan! You slut, you! ;)
knightss

Post by knightss »

I guess we're really not talking about the legalization of all drugs here... just the ones that are 'less' damaging... unless of course we want to take a Brave New World view and administer some kind of opiate to the populace. Anywho, I don't smoke but I think legalizing it would cut down crime a certain degree.. you can make the Taoist argument that less laws equals less crime. Then again, it's not weed that people are killing each other for.. it's the hard stuff, so, even if it were legalized, deaths related to drugs would continue. It's an issue with a double-edge sword, either way you're going to get sliced a bit.

To cap things up, I don't see a problem with allowing small doses of marijuana for individual use to be legal. The laws right now aren't preventing anybody.. i know so many pot heads and they seem to be getting younger and younger.
Also, instead of the government putting all this money into the ineffective war on drugs, they could be using the taxes on the substance to fund other things... maybe education or health care... but most likely the war in a iraq. lol
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

knightss wrote:I guess we're really not talking about the legalization of all drugs here... just the ones that are 'less' damaging... unless of course we want to take a Brave New World view and administer some kind of opiate to the populace. Anywho, I don't smoke but I think legalizing it would cut down crime a certain degree.. you can make the Taoist argument that less laws equals less crime. Then again, it's not weed that people are killing each other for.. it's the hard stuff, so, even if it were legalized, deaths related to drugs would continue. It's an issue with a double-edge sword, either way you're going to get sliced a bit.

To cap things up, I don't see a problem with allowing small doses of marijuana for individual use to be legal. The laws right now aren't preventing anybody.. i know so many pot heads and they seem to be getting younger and younger.
Also, instead of the government putting all this money into the ineffective war on drugs, they could be using the taxes on the substance to fund other things... maybe education or health care... but most likely the war in a iraq. lol
Well I don't smoke either. I just like pullin ya chains..I already told everyone I'm a BIG joker. But with that being said, you brought up a very good point which is...

(it's not weed that people are killing each other for.. it's the hard stuff, so, even if it were legalized, deaths related to drugs would continue. It's an issue with a double-edge sword, either way you're going to get sliced a bit)

True. Drugs like war are a unfortunate reality. I don't however think legalizing marijuana is going to effect the crime rate at all, I really don't...people aren't killing each other for a bit of weed...no dude they're poppin bullets in your ass b/c of stuff like METH!! They're smacked out!! You guys wanna talk "real" thats reality. I see it everyday. Don't need a f**kin paper or some Professors text..I just look at the little boy down the street whose got one hand missing because when he was 2 his mom was mixin in the room near his crib. Weed?? Geesssh. Nah, weed is for soccer moms and politicans trying to take the edge off their day. But I guess even one last dance with "mary jane" has its side effects. But what now days doesn't?? You can go eat a spinach salad at the market and kill over.
Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

Everything has a double-edge sword Knightss...life...it cuts like a knife. :wink:
Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

knightss wrote: Also, instead of the government putting all this money into the ineffective war on drugs, they could be using the taxes on the substance to fund other things... maybe education or health care... but most likely the war in a iraq. lol
This is what makes you a great man Knightss, your constant concern for the greater good of people. If only we had more true and sincere people like you to control our government. That would make such a big and much better difference in our world.
KaeMartyndale

Post by KaeMartyndale »

I hope this reply makes sense, but as I feel disgusting with this cold is it very possible that it might not.

I definitely agree that people aren't killing each other for pot. There's actually one case where I live right now where a guy killed a drug dealer because he gave him bad crack. But I still don't think that making them illegal makes it any BETTER. I think that if we just accepted that people are going to do this sh*t, and tried to figure out what we can do instead of trying to put them in jail that it might make more of a difference. Think harm reduction like needle exchange but on a grander scale.

Generally if your life is fucked up by drugs, there are plenty of other things in the works to. If we started seriously working on homelessness, poverty, abuse, etc. then we might see a decline in the number of people who need to escape from their lives via drugs.

Woah. But anyway, I also wanted to applaud an American citizen thinking about taxation in a positive light. I think that there are many things that a balanced taxation system would benefit in the good ole US of A. If the funding for the bombing of innocent people in Iraq was instead given to the health care system, etc. My very very Canadian very very hopped up on cold opinion is that the US needs three main things, in my opinion. 1) UNiversal health care (I think its totally sad that people die because they can't afford health care. And this is a first world country?) 2) A better education system 3) Guns... at least hand guns being illegal. Which will never happen, like health care system will never happen. But it would f****g fix a lot of problems. Children accidentally shooting themselves/ others, suicide, gun crime. And a bonus would be, if you guys have less guns then hopefully we'd have less illegal handguns coming over our borders. The only purpose of handguns (other than policing) is to kill people. You don't kill deer with handguns.

I should stop my sickly ranting now. as I feel I have likely offended many people. Ick. Please forgive me, I swear its not personal :p
Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

KaeMartyndale wrote:I hope this reply makes sense, but as I feel disgusting with this cold is it very possible that it might not.

I definitely agree that people aren't killing each other for pot. There's actually one case where I live right now where a guy killed a drug dealer because he gave him bad crack. But I still don't think that making them illegal makes it any BETTER. I think that if we just accepted that people are going to do this sh*t, and tried to figure out what we can do instead of trying to put them in jail that it might make more of a difference. Think harm reduction like needle exchange but on a grander scale.

Generally if your life is fucked up by drugs, there are plenty of other things in the works to. If we started seriously working on homelessness, poverty, abuse, etc. then we might see a decline in the number of people who need to escape from their lives via drugs.

Woah. But anyway, I also wanted to applaud an American citizen thinking about taxation in a positive light. I think that there are many things that a balanced taxation system would benefit in the good ole US of A. If the funding for the bombing of innocent people in Iraq was instead given to the health care system, etc. My very very Canadian very very hopped up on cold opinion is that the US needs three main things, in my opinion. 1) UNiversal health care (I think its totally sad that people die because they can't afford health care. And this is a first world country?) 2) A better education system 3) Guns... at least hand guns being illegal. Which will never happen, like health care system will never happen. But it would f****g fix a lot of problems. Children accidentally shooting themselves/ others, suicide, gun crime. And a bonus would be, if you guys have less guns then hopefully we'd have less illegal handguns coming over our borders. The only purpose of handguns (other than policing) is to kill people. You don't kill deer with handguns.

I should stop my sickly ranting now. as I feel I have likely offended many people. Ick. Please forgive me, I swear its not personal :p
Kae you're wonderful! This makes very good sense, (I'm sorry you're sick too..I hope you get better soon :( )

the US needs three main things, in my opinion. 1) UNiversal health care (I think its totally sad that people die because they can't afford health care. And this is a first world country?) 2) A better education system .....

I applaud you for pointing this very needy fact out, America absolutely needs these things. And sad it is that the young and old die because that can't afford the cost of going to the doctors. We have some very serious stuff going down here! and the world spins madly on. Thank you for your recognition of such serious issues as these. Thats was an amazing rant Kae...well put down in words! :)
knightss

Post by knightss »

ok, i'm starting a new thread about taxation in the community off-topics because i feel the need to rant lol

come and join me ;)
"Words can be like x-rays, if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced." - Huxely
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Post by Scott »

It seems most of you feel like I do, which is that, even though drugs may cause problems, criminalizing them makes matters worse.

I've written many blog posts about my views regarding this:

U.S. Incarcerates Most Non-Violent Offenders
State Focuses on Pot Users Instead of Violent Criminals
The Lost War on Drugs
Connecticut Still Wastes Its Resources
Reduce Crime by Repealing Drug Prohibition
Poverty and the Expensive War on Drugs
Crack Gets More Jail Time Than Manslaughter

I also made a post two days ago about a book I plan to read about legalizing victimless crimes.

Thanks,
Scott
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
Tracey Neal

Post by Tracey Neal »

Scott Hughes wrote:It seems most of you feel like I do, which is that, even though drugs may cause problems, criminalizing them makes matters worse.

I've written many blog posts about my views regarding this:

U.S. Incarcerates Most Non-Violent Offenders
State Focuses on Pot Users Instead of Violent Criminals
The Lost War on Drugs
Connecticut Still Wastes Its Resources
Reduce Crime by Repealing Drug Prohibition
Poverty and the Expensive War on Drugs
Crack Gets More Jail Time Than Manslaughter

I also made a post two days ago about a book I plan to read about legalizing victimless crimes.

Thanks,
Scott
Thanks for the helpful insight! Very interesting...I'll have to check em out Scott :)
Syrcco44
Currently Reading: Scorpio Races By Stiefvater

Post by Syrcco44 »

No. Not at all. Alcohol has caused enough deaths already and even illegal drugs. It messes up people - splits them apart and slowly kills them. It's horrid. I would go more into this but I don't feel like it.
Hope

Post by Hope »

I don't think drugs should be legalised. They ruin people's lives. They destroy lives. And a person who uses them, just ends up hurting themself and the people around him/her. It leaves people unconscious, wastes their money. And what for? Pleasure? Stupidity I must say.

We can clearly see the destruction that drugs does, and the number of people who have got it in reach. So imagine if it was legalised? God, all of society would go corrupt.
What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
♥ ♥ ♥
Everything changes.
Hamlet

Post by Hamlet »

Hope wrote:I don't think drugs should be legalised. They ruin people's lives. They destroy lives. And a person who uses them, just ends up hurting themself and the people around him/her. It leaves people unconscious, wastes their money. And what for? Pleasure? Stupidity I must say.

We can clearly see the destruction that drugs does, and the number of people who have got it in reach. So imagine if it was legalised? God, all of society would go corrupt.
you're a goddess! stupidity is right, not to mention a waste of money and brain cells! :shock:

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”