Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Re: Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Post by Ryan »

I think there needs to be different control for different drugs. Marijuana, for example, is not particularly violent and has much the same effect as alcohol. Heroin or cocaine, however, are very violent and cause a great deal of damage to the consumer and those those around them. That said, all will be available because the government can only detect so much. Therefore, I think that marijuana ought to be legalized and taxed in the same way as alcohol, with the same laws regarding its distribution. However, drugs such as heroin and cocaine are incredibly addictive (more so than marijuana or alcohol) and expensive to buy (ditto), and the more you buy the more you become addicted and the more money you have to spend to sustain that addiction. They are dangerous towards an individual's security and in many ways society's as well. For that reason, I don't think think heroin or cocaine should be legalized. As for alcohol, it's really quite pointless arguing either way: it is, and always will be, legal.
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
MichaelMcManus
Favorite Author: James Michner
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Too Young to Die
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelmcmanus.html

Post by MichaelMcManus »

The argument for legalizing marijuana is that it will reduce crime. Maybe a little. Unfortunately, marijuana is not the real focus of the DEA. Taking the least dangerous drug out of the equation will remove only one of the many products illegally marketed in the US. The black market for illegal substances will continue to thrive. Our focus should be working on the demand, rather than the supply. I know that sounds impossible, but it is the only way. If there was no demand, there would be no supply and no suppliers. It is a cultural, not an economic problem.
Friedrich Nietzsche: And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
yogitranscend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yogitranscend.html

Post by yogitranscend »

MichaelMcManus wrote:The argument for legalizing marijuana is that it will reduce crime. Maybe a little. Unfortunately, marijuana is not the real focus of the DEA. Taking the least dangerous drug out of the equation will remove only one of the many products illegally marketed in the US. The black market for illegal substances will continue to thrive. Our focus should be working on the demand, rather than the supply. I know that sounds impossible, but it is the only way. If there was no demand, there would be no supply and no suppliers. It is a cultural, not an economic problem.
I have my MS in Anthropology and agree with you that it is a cultural problem, however, at least we aren't back to the days of opium tents being panacea, as snake oil, for ailments! :) For now, I am more on the side of the government staying out of my life but I can see both sides. As a non-drug user I am for personal freedoms but I can also see this issue from the side of family members who have to endure drug addict issues as well which would not be fun! Fortunately all of us on this forum have more common sense than to use hard drugs. :wink:
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

I've never known a Pot-head who wasn't BRAIN DEAD!...

Along w/banning street drugs, I'd ban all prescription drugs considering their dangerous side-effects...

" Doctors " are the biggest drug pushers, the Pharmaceutical companies should be shut down as fast as any Meth Lab would be, but of course we all know that won't be happening ( they're the BIGGEST contributors to presidential campaigns )

The FDA is a total farce, judging from all the " recalls " rodents are not their only Guinea pigs... :twisted:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
plexaeterson

Post by plexaeterson »

Drugs of all types should be legalized if they are labeled and warnings are placed on them. If you know what you are getting yourself into, then who are we to stop you?
yogitranscend
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yogitranscend.html

Post by yogitranscend »

plexaeterson wrote:Drugs of all types should be legalized if they are labeled and warnings are placed on them. If you know what you are getting yourself into, then who are we to stop you?
I agree with you 100%. I don't do illegal drugs but I don't see how it is my business what other people do with their own bodies.
onebrickshy

Post by onebrickshy »

Incrementally perhaps. I agree with the gentleman who said there should be different laws for different drugs. And I disagree with the shrill woman who is forever condemning any opposition to her POV on the matter. Who arms themselves with
anecdotes when a serious matter is to be considered? I rarely agreed with Richard
Nixon on anything. But his view of such boorish behavior(years ahead of the Springer
show) was eloquent." You haven't changed someone's mind because you've shouted them down. It's shows a lack of respect for a fundamental, American principle. The
right to a free and open debate between men with opposing points of view."
And not a call to the animals in a barnyard, letting them know that the slop is on.
THERE ARE GOING TO BE CONSEQUENCES TO THE LEGALIZATION OF DRUGS. Is our infrastructure prepared for that?
noobslayer975

Post by noobslayer975 »

I think drugs should be legalized. I do not use them but it having it legalized would reduce the amount of money spent trying to stop it.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

" Brevity is the soul of Wit "................Shakespeare...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Cheryl Rendone
Favorite Author: Ellen Hopkins
Favorite Book: Identical
Currently Reading: Red Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cheryl-rendone.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
fav_author_id: 3134

Post by Cheryl Rendone »

I think Marijuana should be legalized, at least medically. I think it can help medically more than people realize. I do also believe it will help with revenue.
Arielx1998

Post by Arielx1998 »

Yes because I believe that you should have the right to decide what you put in your body.

-- 28 Sep 2015, 18:08 --

zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I'm totally on board with legalized marijuana for medicinal usage. Beyond that, drugs just scare me. I don't know if there's a right or wrong, but they just scare me.
WilliamsQ

Post by WilliamsQ »

I see no reason why they shouldn't be.
Nishan Dass

Post by Nishan Dass »

No, i don't think so
LivreAmour217
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Having studied the effects of various street drugs (as well as being related to a couple of ex-hippies), I don't like drugs and don't think that anyone should be using them. However, I do believe that if possession of drugs were to be decriminalized, it would break the back of the drug trade and ultimately reduce the availability of these dangerous substances, which would result in fewer people becoming addicted and fewer resources being spent on the problem.

Not to be preachy, but to those of you who think that marijuana is harmless, it's not. It impairs brain function at many levels, and those who regularly smoke marijuana are more likely to get lung cancer than those who regularly smoke cigarettes.
"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." - Albert Einstein

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”