Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
AliceRose
Favorite Book: Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Do you think drugs should be legalized?

Post by AliceRose »

This is a very sensitive subject for me. I think drugs ruin people's lives. On the subject of marijuana, well... if people want to use it recreationally in their own homes, I think that's OK. I don't believe it should be used in public places at all, which many people do - the amount of times I've walked past someone in the town centre smoking a joint, the smell makes me feel sick. But then I feel the same way about cigarettes.

I probably seem like a holier-than-thou stick in the mud with this post, but when I was growing up my father used to take drugs. He and my mother were divorced, once he made the remark "I'm going to be a teacher, I'm going to teach kids how to use drugs." He committed other crimes, he was incarcerated 4 different times in my childhood, and when I was 11 I cut my ties. I haven't seen him for almost 12 years, apart from a piece in a local newspaper last year, where I learnt that he and his new wife were selling amphetamines and he was locked away again. What's more, he seems to relish his lifestyle. Now I know that this is all down to the individual's choices, but when your earliest memory of quality time with your father is being taken to a rave at 6 years old and seeing people injecting, it's enough to put you off even trying a cigarette for your whole life. I saw the path of self-destruction it can lead you on, and I think it's best these things stay illegal. My son will never meet his grandfather because of this, I would not want him going through that kind of thing.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

MEGA-DITTOS!...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Fran
Favorite Author: David Mitchell
Favorite Book: Anna Karenina
Currently Reading: Hide and Seek
Bookshelf Size: 1208
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fran.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 3104

Post by Fran »

@AliceRose
Your post is an example of where theory comes slap bang up against reality - well done for posting it & congratulations on coming through such a start in life.
We fade away, but vivid in our eyes
A world is born again that never dies.
- My Home by Clive James
AliceRose

Post by AliceRose »

Fran, thank you - I had a very difficult start in life because of this, not nice being asked by the other children at primary school "Is your dad in prison" etc, after seeing him in the local newspaper. But I think it did me a favour in some ways as I was determined not to end up being like that. I am happy now and have a wonderful stepfather :)

I mean, like I said if people want to use marijuana in their own homes then fine, I just wouldn't like the idea of it being around children. It was in the news recently, a 23-month old boy who died last year after swallowing some of his father's heroin... disgusting.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

What's DISGUSTING is that our DOPEY attorney general aka " the moron" has just REDUCED the jail sentences for druggies...i thought i was hallucinating when i heard it...

His reasoning is too proposterous to even address...get a grip Eric Holder!...thank God you're days are numbered...

OUT!

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
x_13st

Post by x_13st »

I'd like to mention a couple of things I haven't seen mentioned here. The #1 drug dealer in the world is the CIA. That's how they get a lot of the money for their black ops . Legalizing will take away that revenue so it won't happen. Also, many of the drugs they keep from us( ayahuasca, mushrooms and such) give people spiritual experiences. The ruling elite don't want that either. They like us dumbed down and being good little puppets. Our gov. has known for a long time that the war on drugs causes more harm than good, yet it continues. Why is that?
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Thats the govt. for you. It all boils down to one thing, money. As long as the powers that be make millions off that crap nothing will change.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count

Post by Loveabull »

Smoke for one's own personal use is fine, yeah it can dull random brain cells but it's also a blessing physically and mentally for centuries of humans. Alcohol and tobacco kill a whole lotta people every year and they are "legal". Heroin kills very easily, crack cracks all rational thought, and playing with dust can get you a nice padded cell. The problem at least in the US is "The War on Drugs"...you can go out and murder someone and maybe get parole in five years. If you get arrested for possession...for your own use...maybe twenty?...plus it's a felony so you aren't able to get federal financial aid or any assistance that can help you get your life turned around...nope, doesn't make any sense to me
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
AliceRose

Post by AliceRose »

Loveabull wrote:Smoke for one's own personal use is fine, yeah it can dull random brain cells but it's also a blessing physically and mentally for centuries of humans. Alcohol and tobacco kill a whole lotta people every year and they are "legal". Heroin kills very easily, crack cracks all rational thought, and playing with dust can get you a nice padded cell. The problem at least in the US is "The War on Drugs"...you can go out and murder someone and maybe get parole in five years. If you get arrested for possession...for your own use...maybe twenty?...plus it's a felony so you aren't able to get federal financial aid or any assistance that can help you get your life turned around...nope, doesn't make any sense to me
I'm curious, because I'm not familiar with American law... what sort of drug would get you twenty years in jail? In the UK, carrying a small amount of cannabis for personal use would probably only get you a warning (depending on the amount), and my father only got five years for a combination of drugs and firearm offences. His wife got a suspended sentence. That was for possession with intent to sell, as they found scales etc.
Loveabull

Post by Loveabull »

The three strikes rule...if you steal a pizza,strike one...do another stupid petty crime...strike two...get busted for possession strike three...you go away for a long time. So while the US has one of the highest incarceration rates and 4 out of 5 inmates is in for drugs...has that really stopped people in general from doing chemicals?
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Every has heard about the drug situation in Mexico, theres so much money involved for pay-offs, murders and so on. Not much is doing much good. They have military checkpoints along the highways where they search your car and such, but all they do is pick up some poor sap who has a little weed with him. Big deal. The big guys manage to get it out of the country. Its so common here you could get some in 5 minutes from just about anyone. A couple days ago some guys came by selling strawberries, I buy from them ocassionally. I bought a bucket of strawberries, then they asked me if I wanted some pot. I said thanks, but no thanks. That stuff will kill you. They laughed and went on their way. I dont know what the solution is, maybe there isnt one.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Loveabull

Post by Loveabull »

I think Big summed it up well...I know family members with chemical issues and it's heartbreaking to watch...one thing that I feel is a good idea are the countries that see drug use as something to be cured rather than punished. Makes more sense than using taxpayers money locking so many people up, you know some of them could be productive members of society if given a chance.
AliceRose

Post by AliceRose »

I guess it depends how far gone you are. Some people want to change, but like in the case of my father, others don't. You can only help people so much if they aren't willing to help themselves. The sad thing is, someone who is heavily addicted to drugs only cares about how to get the next fix. It does affect other people's lives - family, friends etc which is why I think they're just no good.
Loveabull

Post by Loveabull »

I'm sorry you've had to go through that with your Dad darlin'. My niece has spent more years away than home due to drugs...and now she has a new baby...privately I just don't see any way of it working out well, the father is dead, no means of support and grandparents too old to keep up realistically...and if your record is chemically related you can't get support on a federal level...I can't offer help, wouldn't trust my dogs around little ones...so many sad stories out there due to drugs.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

imho, it all started w/ " latch-key " kids...drugs were always around even in my time, but to a much LESSER degree...

this " Uber Consumerism " mentality " of having to own multiple cars, mini mansions, and living off credit cards to buy stuff one can't afford otherwise, has contributed to this country's downfall...

when mom's have to work, the kids " feel it " in a very visceral way...no more sitting down together as a family every night for dinner...no time to cook, or put in the " time " necessary in raising a child...i recall a very popular phrase at the time : " the amount of time spent at home w/your kids is not as important as the QUALITY of that time "

yeah right!..........and the moon is made of cheese! :roll: gimmee a break..pure B.S.

of course the women's movement didn't help by encouraging woman to work outside the home for ( " validation " ) or the govt. handing out houses w/o down payments to " unqualified " buyers...

Balderdash!...

i say address the " root cause "............the drugs are only the " symptoms " reflecting our changes in daily life, values, etc. post the fifties............an important " shift " that screwed up everything...

our FOCUS should be on PREVENTIVE measures rather than the moot question of " punishment " or legalization which is not the REAL issue...........it strikes me as being " arse-backwards "...

but are ppl willing to give up that extra income?....hard to do when you're in debt up to your eyeballs because of past mistakes...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”