Any English people on here?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

Any English people on here?

Post by Ryan »

Hello all! After spending several hours here I realized that there are (as far as I can possibly tell) much fewer English people on here than I predicted, so I thought it would be nice to create a thread about it. This isn't limited to the English, of course, but let us know if you are. General discussion is not discouraged! :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
1Greengirl
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by 1Greengirl »

I am English
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

Hi! Where in England are you from? I live in Jarrow :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Plenty of Brits here...

-- 30 Sep 2014, 03:12 --

Plenty of Brits here...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Liot
Favorite Author: Hemmingway
Favorite Book: Too many favourites
Currently Reading: Morgans Passing

Post by Liot »

English? Probably not: Scottish mother, father of Irish descent, I was born in Scotland, moved to England at the age of six months, worked in England all my working life and now retired to France.

Thank goodness or God, depending on your point of view, that we are still the United Kingdom.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Visit " SMUGGLERS ARMS ", I think the owner Coldfire is a Brit, ( a free drink for a joke )

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Ant
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Ant »

There are probably a few "Brits" on the forum, but that wasn't the original question asked.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

" PROBABLY?'?????????????, there are most DEFINITELY more than a few...

So in your mind Ant, WHAT was the " original " question ?

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Ant

Post by Ant »

What??????????????
Read it yourself, it asks are there any English people on here.
It's not in my mind......it's in black and white, and please don't show ignorance and say it's the same thing.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

As usual BALDERDASH!

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Ant

Post by Ant »

You sadly have shown your ignorance.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

It's difficult to tell whether people are British because very few people say so (for all the users that I've seen, anyway) in the "location" field. Even though I asked whether there were any English people here, I said that it was not limited to the English, which may very well include anyone that's a citizen of "Britain" or beyond. Quite frankly, though, I hate the term. So I decided instead to specify and say that discussion was not restricted to the English (as though it could be, anyway) and hoped that it wouldn't cause any confusion. "Liot" makes a very great point about nationality within the UK -- how can anyone from it call themselves fully Something or Other? I consider myself English, however, because I was born in England and have lived here all my life (unfortunately). My second name has Scottish origins, but if we seriously considered the many nationalities which form our genetic make-up then I could very well consider myself not only Scottish, but French and German as well. I have no right to speak for the Scottish, Irish or Welsh and so I didn't. If any Sottish people care about how many other Scottish people are here, they can create their own thread! It's really not wrong to specify whether you're any of those nationalities just because we have the misfortune of having a monarchy! :)
Ant

Post by Ant »

Very well put and I respect your point of view. I am English but don't look at living here all my life as "unfortunate", I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. I am also in favour of the monarchy, but hey....each to there own, live and let live. :D
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

I do like England and being English, but it's just home blues, I guess. I often think that my opinion will someday change, though. I'd like to travel and see other places and I've never been abroad (shock, horror!) so right now England is a nest I'd very much like to flee. At least for a little while, anyway :)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I speak English, does that count? Haha. Kidding. English means "people from England," ja ne? (I have no idea why I just wrote Japanese and then decided to leave it there...)
I have several coworkers who are English and refer to themselves as English and not as "British" or "Brit" or anything else except English.

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”