Research study about inner voices people hear while reading

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Research study about inner voices people hear while reading

Post by Scott »

An academic researcher is doing a survey of people’s normal experiences when they read. The survey is fun, anonymous, and should only take about 5 minutes. If you’d like to participate (you must be 18 yrs. of age or older), please click on this link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/2XKMM6V . It will take you to a secure site; no identifying information will be collected. This is not a commercial solicitation. Many thanks!

Please note, the researcher couldn't post it herself because of our anti-spam rules and filters. However, I gave her permission to be exempt from those rules, since it is not commercial and she is a professor at an accredited university.
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Post by amybo82 »

This was an interesting survey. Did the researcher tell you if/when her results would be published?
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
Middletown
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Middletown »

For anyone else who may see this post: the study is about inner voices people hear while reading (some people don’t have inner voices, and some people do). Your participation would be much appreciated!

-- 19 Sep 2014, 06:59 --

Hi there, amybo82, I’m the researcher. I do expect the results to be published (after I get and analyze enough data). I’d be happy to post a summary of findings and a reference to the article whenever that happens.
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Middletown wrote:For anyone else who may see this post: the study is about inner voices people hear while reading (some people don’t have inner voices, and some people do). Your participation would be much appreciated!

-- 19 Sep 2014, 06:59 --

Hi there, amybo82, I’m the researcher. I do expect the results to be published (after I get and analyze enough data). I’d be happy to post a summary of findings and a reference to the article whenever that happens.
Very interesting indeed! Would love to see what you come up with!
I used to work in a research lab for a university's department of speech-language pathology. Secretly love research projects!
Middletown

Post by Middletown »

Thank you for checking out the survey, ALynnPowers.
Neyra
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neyra.html

Post by Neyra »

I didn't know that people hear inner voices while reading, that never happend to me!!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I answered as well. No inner voices for me. 8)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

I never consciously thought about it before, but I am always talking to myself... so I guess it sounds the same as the voice that talks back to me... hahahah! 8)
Middletown

Post by Middletown »

Thank you, Neyra and Gali, for checking out the survey! What is so interesting is that people have such varied normal experiences.
MichaelMcManus
Favorite Author: James Michner
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Too Young to Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelmcmanus.html

Post by MichaelMcManus »

For those who say they do not hear a voice when they read, if I say that the next few words are a quote from Morgan Freeman, do you honestly not hear Morgan Freeman speaking the lines? Something like: "Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes a radiance." That is an actual quote from Morgan Freeman, and I cannot read it without hearing the way he would say it.

I hear mostly my own voice, but if I know the writer is a woman, I hear a woman's voice. If the writer has an accent, I hear that accent - even dialog that is written with the accent, I hear the accent. I feel that you are missing a great deal if you truly do not hear the voice.
Friedrich Nietzsche: And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Middletown

Post by Middletown »

Thank you, if you did the survey, MichaelMcManus!
LivreAmour217
Favorite Author: Too many to count
Favorite Book: Ditto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-livreamour217.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by LivreAmour217 »

Thanks for posting this survey, Scott. As a psych major, I found it very interesting. I have always had an inner reading voice that can change depending on what I am reading, especially pertaining to character dialogue. I always assumed that everyone had an inner reading voice, but I might be wrong. I would love to see the results when they are published.
MichaelMcManus
Favorite Author: James Michner
Favorite Book: To Kill a Mocking Bird
Currently Reading: Too Young to Die
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michaelmcmanus.html

Post by MichaelMcManus »

Middletown, yes, I did complete the survey. I find this topic quite interesting and would love to hear about the results of the survey.
Friedrich Nietzsche: And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
Middletown

Post by Middletown »

LivreAmour217 and MichaelMcManus, thank you for contributing to the survey. I will be happy to let you know the results.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Interesting survey. I am hearing one of my inner voices as I write this even! :)
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”