What is the rarest thing you had seen?

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Himmelslicht
Favorite Author: Gabriel. G. Marquez
Favorite Book: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-himmelslicht.html

Re: What is the rarest thing you had seen?

Post by Himmelslicht »

War? Terrorism? Not where I live. War here ended in 2002. People are very clueless about what's going on in Africa and that makes me sad.
"Travel makes one modest. You see what a tiny place you occupy in the world."
- Gustave Flaubert
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

Probably what we hear is news media BS. Its the same in Mexico, its no more violent here than it is in the US. Its mostly media exaggeration.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

That's true. I think media is very manipulative but seen from the outside, the manipulation that occurs inside the media in US is just mind-blowing.
Yeah we do have a lot of misery still, but no war, there are hospitals and schools opening everywhere and we don't need any war-related fuss: no soldiers, no guns. Actually no one here is allowed to have guns and thanks to that crimes and homicide numbers dropped a lot.
I guess people in general are mistaken about many countries' cultures. Far from sight, far from the heart, right?
- Gustave Flaubert
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

Thats for sure. I think its all about control, they dont want people to move to other countries, they want you where they can control your life. In Mexico no one is allowed to have guns, but I dont think its enforced too much. I know several people here who have firearms and they dont seem to worry about it. Also Mexico is pretty advanced in some things, and behind in others. Im impressed with their medical system, Ive never had experience with it, but from Gringo friends who have they claim it beats the US system all to hell. They treat the disease, not the symptoms. And its free in most cases. Theres a lot of poverty and no welfare system to speak of and low wages, but all in all its a good place to live if you have an outside income. They even have free rabies shots for your animals. Im not sure if this is true, but I heard from a friend who has lived here for years that Mexico has more computers per school child than any other country. The US just want people to stay where they are, thats why the media says bad things about some of these countries.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
ylisa7
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

Our media here is bought and paid for and the biggest thing they want to tell Americans is to fear, fear, fear. Sadly too many sheeple here buy into it. I hate our news stations. They lie, lie, lie to the American people.

It is interesting to hear from real people in other countries.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
suzy1124
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by suzy1124 »

Ya mean the " LAME-STREAM " media... :roll:
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Himmelslicht wrote:It's amazing! It's a terrible thing that the government makes it really hard for foreigners to live here though. Unless you work in the construction industry or are a missionary/volunteer, people usually can't find a place here.
That's so strange! I mean, like, that sucks! Can I someone play it up as I am in construction, "building" up education of the English language? Hahaha...

I always thought of Angola as a peaceful place. I don't know where I heard that, but I'm glad to hear about the no gun thing... it's the same in Japan, and I like it. I feel safe.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Different strokes for different folks...............................I only feel SAFE WITH GUNS..............A sr. citizen here shot an intruder! God bless her!................one less LOW-LIFE occupying this earth...........

I'm a sr. citizen living alone, if anyone dares to intrude upon my peace and tranquility, he's a goner!...like Clint Eastwood says : " Make my day "...

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey

Post by Bighuey »

I think the no gun law in Mexico means only the bad guys can have guns.
Himmelslicht

Post by Himmelslicht »

ALynnPowers wrote:
Himmelslicht wrote:It's amazing! It's a terrible thing that the government makes it really hard for foreigners to live here though. Unless you work in the construction industry or are a missionary/volunteer, people usually can't find a place here.
That's so strange! I mean, like, that sucks! Can I someone play it up as I am in construction, "building" up education of the English language? Hahaha...

I always thought of Angola as a peaceful place. I don't know where I heard that, but I'm glad to hear about the no gun thing... it's the same in Japan, and I like it. I feel safe.
Ahahahah, we have Portuguese schools that accept Portuguese teachers. Maybe you can start an English/American school. Angolans love all things foreign :P

Angola is a peaceful place. Of course we have suburbs that are less safe, just like any other city on earth, but people are very peaceful. They've had enough after 40 years at war.
- Gustave Flaubert
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Bighuey wrote:I think the no gun law in Mexico means only the bad guys can have guns.

True it is! 8) ...............on the money B.H.!

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

An honest politician.....no...wait....those are mythical. Maybe it was a unicorn?
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
ALynnPowers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alynnpowers.html
Latest Review: Sarah's Dream by Eileen Bird
Reading Device: B0051QVF7A
Publishing Contest Votes: 13

Post by ALynnPowers »

Hahaha.. nice one!!

I saw a tiny old woman walking down the street singing opera. That was kind of rare.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I once saw a bloody steak
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
SusieGee1978
Favorite Author: Darynda Jones
Favorite Book: The Charlie Davidson series
Currently Reading: Lawless by Matt Bondurant
fav_author_id: 5721

Post by SusieGee1978 »

I saw a cross dressing man wearing bright red jelly shoes!! For those of us that remember those awesome jelly shoes in the 80's... wonder where he got them... :D

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”