Do you prefer E Book or Paper Book

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Bighuey
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Re: Do you prefer E Book or Paper Book

Post by Bighuey »

None here that I know of. The nearest library is in Ensenada, over 100 miles away. But I heard of a place where you can buy used English books not far from here.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
Loveabull
Favorite Author: Too many to list
Favorite Book: Too many to count
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Loveabull »

I feel for you folks, if the nearest English word library was more than a hundred miles away I would have to submerge myself in a full-scale Spanish class...must.have.library.

Question of ebooks over paper, unless I am somehow disabled and incapable of hunting and gathering printed material...NEVER e books...like others have said-there is the tactile feeling of holding a book, of marking a page, of having a happy pile to lug around and plow through...nothing like it...you cannot get that feeling with an electronic gizmo and reading a screen.
" The writer must write what he has to say, not speak it."
jool

Post by jool »

I bought myself a Kindle since I thought it would be helpful with my neverending obligatory reading lists at the University. I didn't have the time nor energy to browse all the libraries in order to find some of them (which is extremely difficult in some cases), so I found it easier to download ebooks to my E-reader. But now that I'm enjoying a summer break, I come back to the paper books, because I really missed having them in my hands. I'm a lover of books, of their smell, of their covers.. ;) But E-readers work for me as well. :)
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

jool wrote:I bought myself a Kindle since I thought it would be helpful with my neverending obligatory reading lists at the University. I didn't have the time nor energy to browse all the libraries in order to find some of them (which is extremely difficult in some cases), so I found it easier to download ebooks to my E-reader. But now that I'm enjoying a summer break, I come back to the paper books, because I really missed having them in my hands. I'm a lover of books, of their smell, of their covers.. ;) But E-readers work for me as well. :)

same here jool!...paper, hands down...kindle is very convenient for travel tho.............pre-kindle, i had to tear pages out of guide books,................OUCH!, to save space in my suitcase....
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Bighuey
Currently Reading: Return to the Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Bighuey »

I like E-books, but now I have to settle for paper books. My e-reader took a dump.
"I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I dont know what to feed it." Ramblings of a retired senile mind.
jool

Post by jool »

suzy1124 wrote:
jool wrote:I bought myself a Kindle since I thought it would be helpful with my neverending obligatory reading lists at the University. I didn't have the time nor energy to browse all the libraries in order to find some of them (which is extremely difficult in some cases), so I found it easier to download ebooks to my E-reader. But now that I'm enjoying a summer break, I come back to the paper books, because I really missed having them in my hands. I'm a lover of books, of their smell, of their covers.. ;) But E-readers work for me as well. :)

same here jool!...paper, hands down...kindle is very convenient for travel tho.............pre-kindle, i had to tear pages out of guide books,................OUCH!, to save space in my suitcase....
Yes, that's very true especially when it comes to travelling by plane. Having all the books stored in one device really matters. :)
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

In 1 word: Convenience.....

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Carla Hurst-Chandler
Favorite Author: Pirzig
Favorite Book: Zen and the Art...
Currently Reading: The Lost Landscape
Bookshelf Size: 124

Post by Carla Hurst-Chandler »

Having recently been drug kicking and sceaming into the wide world of Kindle...I enjoy its convenience...a library in my purse...but it will NEVER replace books for me. Definitely prefer books.
“The real cycle you're working on is a cycle called yourself.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance
b4i

Post by b4i »

paper book is great
collins_fan_10

Post by collins_fan_10 »

I like a mix of ebook and hard copy. I agree with people who said it's a matter of convenience and how much emphasis one places on the experience of turning actual pages in a book. When I read a book that I really love I like to have an actual copy and pass it on to someone, and the length of the time you can loan an ebook makes that hard to do. I like that the Kindle makes travelling with books easier, I can get new books quickly, I read books I normally wouldn't try because of the free samples, and who doesn't like a free book? The main thing I don't like about my Kindle is that it can break and my battery dies kind of frequently, plus I still can't read in the dark as mine doesn't have a built-in light, so a tangible book will always have its advantages.
Patti_M
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patti-m.html

Post by Patti_M »

E book definitely! You don't have to worry about screwing your pages up and they're cheaper in the long run!
Chebhear
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chebhear.html

Post by Chebhear »

Paper book still wins hands down! But you have to admit that having an e-book is really for convenience. I love it when you can just sit in a corner, with a paper/hard back book in your hands and a hot cup of steaming coffee and soft music to go along with it. But as of right now, my best friend is my Kindle. I don't have enough space to store my books so I'm settling for an e-book.
kendra53

Post by kendra53 »

I prefer the real book, there is something about a book that is better then a n e reader.
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

Still paper hands down, also reading on my P.C.....

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
Gannon
Favorite Author: Colleen McCullough
Favorite Book: Pillars of the Earth
Currently Reading: Heaven's Net is Wide.
Bookshelf Size: 52
fav_author_id: 2863

Post by Gannon »

Yep, paper all the way. :D
Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless. - Mother Teresa

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”