The Book Thief Movie

Discuss whatever your heart desires, just be civil. Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
roberts-rl
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roberts-rl.html

The Book Thief Movie

Post by roberts-rl »

What did people think about the Book Thief movie and how it compared to the book? Personally, I thought they did a great job and I actually fell more in love with Rudy in the movie than I did in the book and he was my favorite when I read the book years ago.
Moe4522
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moe4522.html
Latest Review: "The Sins of His Grandmother" by Jeremy Francis

Post by Moe4522 »

Unfortunately I haven't read the book. I saw Geoffrey Rush talking about the movie one day on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart and it intrigued me so I watched the movie. I thought the movie was really well done and I actually really liked the movie. I will probably end up reading the book some time soon, but i can't compare the two at the moment :(

But the movie was still great!
Latest Review: "The Sins of His Grandmother" by Jeremy Francis
roberts-rl

Post by roberts-rl »

I agree with you. I thought the movie was extremely well made and that the actors did a great job! I definitely recommend this book for you if you have the time because his writing style is very unique and it is a beautiful piece of work :)
suzy1124

Post by suzy1124 »

roberts-rl!

thanks for the heads up...have the book on my TBR list and can't wait to see the movie...
" We don't see things as they are but as we are "

Carpe Diem!

Suzy...
izthapa

Post by izthapa »

I was pleased with the actors casted in the movie and it was beautifully done, it wasn't disappointing but was fast-paced.
Ella

Post by Ella »

Loved loved loved the book....can't wait to see the movie (I'm waiting for the DVD release)
roberts-rl

Post by roberts-rl »

I hope it lives up to expectations!! :)
Yeah I agree it was fast paced, but I'm glad it was because then they could fit almost everything from the book into the movie.
Anxious Educator
Favorite Author: James Herriot
Favorite Book: The Little Prince
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anxious-educator.html
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
fav_author_id: 10107

Post by Anxious Educator »

I haven't seen the movie either, but I do follow Zusak on goodreads, and he was super excited about the casting. And if he's excited, I'm excited. I'm actually purposefully not going to see The Book Thief in theatres because it'll make me cry, and, let's be real, it's embarrassing to cry in a public theatre.
Latest Review: "Tea and Primroses" by Tess Thompson
8thline

Post by 8thline »

I finished reading The Book Thief days ago and watched the movie just yesterday. I agree with you, the movie made me love Rudy more. :) As expected, there are some modifications but I am letting that go. With the book like that, it's not really possible to contain it in a two-hour film. I have watched film adaptations before and this is one of the few that I liked. :) The actors are an inch away from the book's characters. Excellent portrayal.
simonmambo2015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-simonmambo2015.html

Post by simonmambo2015 »

This was an amazing movie. I could have watched it again. It was very realistic and you felt as if you were actually going through this way of life. I was very close to tears on many occasions throughout the movie. A must see. Don't forget your box of tissues as it really pulls on your heart strings.
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

It was a very good movie indeed. I have yet to read the book, but based on what everyone seems to be saying, it looks like it will be quite the good read as well! Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences with it! :D
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
ylisa7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: It Varies
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 25127">The Elephant Whisperer</a>
Bookshelf Size: 3456
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by ylisa7 »

I loved the book but tend to not like movies after I read the book. I will trust what all of you say about it :wink:
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
Oscar Wilde

理沙
Miri Faye
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 17650">The Selection</a>
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miri-faye.html
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Miri Faye »

I watched the movie before I read the book. I prefer to watch the movie first because my expectation of the movie after reading the book is never met. I agree with you that I liked Rudy much better in the movie than in the book, and I also thought that the movie was well done.
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

Return to “Community & Off-Topic”