John Green's best

Discuss the April 2015 book of the month, "Paper Towns" by John Green.
Alpha_Betty
Currently Reading: The Underground Railroad
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alpha-betty.html

John Green's best

Post by Alpha_Betty »

I loved Paper Towns. I've read all of John Green's books, some multiple times, and this was by far my favorite. The Fault in Our Stars was huge and amazing, but Paper Towns resonated more strongly with me, as it has with many of my high school library patrons. I loved that it was about ordinary teens (the extraordinary Margot notwithstanding), and their hopes and dreams and how they interact with the world. It works as a coming-of-age novel, a road trip novel, a quest, a comedy and a tragedy. What sticks with me about it is how Quentin comes to the realization that Margot is not, in fact, some intangible goddess, but a regular person with issues and insecurities and questions who's just trying to find her place in the world. That she exists outside his mythology of her. Green invented (or at least popularized) the manic-pixie-dream-girl in Looking for Alaska, and I love that in Paper Towns, he destroys that and makes her a real live young woman.

I thought the movie version was well-done--great script, good pacing, excellent cast--but I was disappointed that certain elements of the book didn't make it into the screenplay. The relationship between Margot and Lacey in particular--that psychological competition that girls so often feel with each other over body image and self-worth was something I loved in the book that didn't quite come across in the film. When I'm recommending books to my students, I always encourage them to read this one before seeing the movie, so they can fill those parts in in their minds. It's a book I recommend all the time, to boys and girls.
WinkeJ
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-winkej.html

Post by WinkeJ »

As a first time reader to this author which book would you recommend to start with?
JBelkBooks
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jbelkbooks.html

Post by JBelkBooks »

Out of all of John Green's novels, I have to go with Looking for Alaska as being my favorite. I think it was because I was able to resonate with the characters, but I definitely felt more "connected" with LFA than any of his other novels. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely a Green fan, however Paper Towns is probably my third favorite, the second being TFIOS. (:
bobRas
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bobras.html
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter

Post by bobRas »

There is a theory of the "John Green Effect" going around, that you'll love the first John Green book you read, but hate the second. This thread demonstrates that it isn't as common as those people think.

@WinkeJ I suggest Fault in our Stars
Latest Review: "Randy Love...at your service" by Shay Carter
Naval Aulakh
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naval-aulakh.html
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien

Post by Naval Aulakh »

All the books by John Green are great but my favorite is Fault in Our Stars. It was very emotional. Paper Towns is also very good.
Live Life to the Fullest and Enjoy Reading!!
Latest Review: "The Deserving" by Efren O'brien
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I have only read the Fault in Our Stars by him. I have to read the rest of the books
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

I've heard so many good things about John Green but I couldn't really get into Fault In Our Stars. Nor did I finish the movie but Looking For Alaska seems promising :)
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

I have only read The Fault in our Stars, but I can see that more readers loved the other books he wrote. Might as well take a look at them.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
jvez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jvez.html
Latest Review: The Providence of Fortune by T. K. Love

Post by jvez »

For John Green's works, I'd still go for the Fault in Our Stars, but definitely Paper Towns is a close second.
Crazybud
Favorite Author: Amy Zhang
Currently Reading: Shiver
Bookshelf Size: 1237
fav_author_id: 19621

Post by Crazybud »

Paper Towns happens to be my favorite John Green book followed by Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I wasn't really a fan of The Fault in Our Stars or Looking For Alaska, but I do tend to use the term 'labyrinth of suffering' now and then ;)
"I'd rather die on an adventure, than live standing still"
- Delilah Bard, A Darker Shade of Magic
julessawyer
Currently Reading: The Lost Continent
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julessawyer.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by julessawyer »

The fault in our stars is my favorite John Green book only because its the only one I've read. But also because I did not want to ruin my love for John Green. I' m actually afraid that his other books will not live up with Fault in Our stars. However after I read what you've written about Paper Towns I'm actually considering reading it. Thanks.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I loved The Fault in our Stars too. I have not come across Paper Town but it definitely sounds like one to read.
deansimpala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by deansimpala »

"Looking for Alaska" is my favorite John Green book. I read the entire book in one night. The story was emotional and left me both inspired and heartbroken.
deansimpala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by deansimpala »

WinkeJ wrote: 15 Jan 2017, 22:09 As a first time reader to this author which book would you recommend to start with?
I would suggest either the fault in our stars or looking for alaska
acupofsubtletea
Currently Reading: A Study in Charlotte
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acupofsubtletea.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by acupofsubtletea »

Paper Towns is definitely my favorite. I loved the road trip aspect. And as someone who lives in Florida, I really enjoyed recognizing all the references to the area. But I tend to be in the minority when I talk about how much I also adore An Abundance of Katherines, more than TFiOS and Looking for Alaska.

Return to “"Paper Towns" by John Green”