To My Ex Husband

Use this forum to post poetry that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links. Only one poem per topic please.
Ryan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ryan.html

To My Ex Husband

Post by Ryan »

Hey, people! I wrote this last year and it's my favourite poem. Please let me know what you think!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

To My Ex Husband,

I notice the books on the shelf aligned
To the edge. The knives, forks and spoons
All know their place. The towels hang folded
On the radiator, and shoes embrace. I catch
Words from my mouth like insects
And bottle them up:
Puerile, selfish, neglectful --
All yours. I kept the gestures you gave me.
My hands are not my own; my language
Is yours -- they go in the box. A break.
You said to try two sugars instead of one --
The second still makes it the more sweet.
The music … I hated jazz before its swing
Propelled me into your stride. You hated opera.
I never loved poetry, but to you I address this.
The book of sonnets will stay -- the rest will go.
Your clothes, pictures, jewellery, sprays, films,
Gadgets -- all in the box. The sonnets will stay.

By ryanj1
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Very nice! I particularly liked your metaphorical allusions regarding the "box" and the "sonnets" - the "box" suggests to me a discarding and dismissal of unwanted "acquisitions", and the "sonnets" as a symbol of the remembrance of the sweetness of a love that once existed between the narrator and her former spouse.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice indeed. Well done!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

DATo wrote:Very nice! I particularly liked your metaphorical allusions regarding the "box" and the "sonnets" - the "box" suggests to me a discarding and dismissal of unwanted "acquisitions", and the "sonnets" as a symbol of the remembrance of the sweetness of a love that once existed between the narrator and her former spouse.
Yes, that's very right, DATo. I was particularly concerned with the ways in which, by the end of a marriage, things become solely material as opposed to the purely romantic, abstract appreciation of relationships at the beginning. Hence, the juxtaposition of concrete and abstract nouns and the various ways in which they become blurred. Thanks for your kind words :D
gali wrote:Nice indeed. Well done!
Thanks, gali. I'm glad you enjoyed it :)
"Reason is intelligence taking exercise. Imagination is intelligence with an erection" -- Victor Hugo.
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

ryanj1 wrote:
Yes, that's very right, DATo. I was particularly concerned with the ways in which, by the end of a marriage, things become solely material as opposed to the purely romantic, abstract appreciation of relationships at the beginning. Hence, the juxtaposition of concrete and abstract nouns and the various ways in which they become blurred. Thanks for your kind words :D

Wow, that's brilliant. I've never even articulated that thought in my head, but you're right about romantic :arrow: material.
bookowlie
Special Discussion Leader
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Wonderful Ryan! I feel the box is symbolic of the discarding of all material things from the marriage. The sonnets were a memory of the romantic feelings when things were good in the relationship. It's so true that people get sentimental about certain things when a relationship is over. It could be a little souvenir from an earlier romantic trip, a perfume due to the scent it evokes from happier times, that kind of stuff. I was very moved by your poem.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

zeldas_lullaby wrote:
ryanj1 wrote:

Wow, that's brilliant. I've never even articulated that thought in my head, but you're right about romantic :arrow: material.
Thanks, zeldas. I'm very glad that you appreciated it :)
bookowlie wrote:Wonderful Ryan! I feel the box is symbolic of the discarding of all material things from the marriage. The sonnets were a memory of the romantic feelings when things were good in the relationship. It's so true that people get sentimental about certain things when a relationship is over. It could be a little souvenir from an earlier romantic trip, a perfume due to the scent it evokes from happier times, that kind of stuff. I was very moved by your poem.
Thank you very much, bookowlie. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed it too :)
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

You need to post another poem!
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

bookowlie wrote:You need to post another poem!
I haven't written another good enough yet :lol:
bookowlie

Post by bookowlie »

Your other poems are probably just as good. I mean, you are the Grandmaster. :) However, you are not the Gravymaster like Gravy is. ha ha ha
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

HA HA! I struggled with this issue back when I wrote poems (which was a long time ago--haven't written any lately). For some reason, there was a lot of hit-or-miss. I'd write a great one, an awful one, a mediocre one, etc. It was entirely different than writing structured fiction, and I can't grasp why.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

bookowlie wrote:Your other poems are probably just as good. I mean, you are the Grandmaster. :) However, you are not the Gravymaster like Gravy is. ha ha ha
I have one that I like, but it's rather controversial. I just wonder whether posting it would be advisable :)
zeldas_lullaby wrote:HA HA! I struggled with this issue back when I wrote poems (which was a long time ago--haven't written any lately). For some reason, there was a lot of hit-or-miss. I'd write a great one, an awful one, a mediocre one, etc. It was entirely different than writing structured fiction, and I can't grasp why.
Right on, zeldas! I think it's so different because poetry relies heavily on imagery and making sure that everything is in the right place because it's such a compact form, whereas prose allows the writer more room to flex because of its length. It's easier to recognize as trite phrase (for example) in a poem because it's surrounded tightly by other images, phrases etc. which have to be direct and clear, unlike prose which will contain all sorts of repeated phrases such as "he said", "he did so and so", he "felt thus" which are essentially quite drab, although very useful :)
zeldas_lullaby

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

ryanj1 wrote:
Right on, zeldas! I think it's so different because poetry relies heavily on imagery and making sure that everything is in the right place because it's such a compact form, whereas prose allows the writer more room to flex because of its length. It's easier to recognize as trite phrase (for example) in a poem because it's surrounded tightly by other images, phrases etc. which have to be direct and clear, unlike prose which will contain all sorts of repeated phrases such as "he said", "he did so and so", he "felt thus" which are essentially quite drab, although very useful :)
Wow, deep thoughts. I have a hard time recalling, but I don't think my poems were ever that good! They were mostly sappy, I think! :geek:

Actually, when I write novels, I too have noticed what you commented on--the repeated phrases, "He said," etc. My initial drafts were full of those! Said, said, said, said, said! I finally grabbed a thesaurus and went to town. I'm currently working on a document that will ultimately have a long list of synonyms for "said." Argued, announced, commented, asked, insisted, badgered, parroted, sneered, etc. It makes the reading so much more fresh, I think. I shudder now at my initial drafts.
JessieTurner1324
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessieturner1324.html

Post by JessieTurner1324 »

This was very nice :) I loved the word choices you used.
Ryan
Currently Reading:

Post by Ryan »

JessieTurner1324 wrote:This was very nice :) I loved the word choices you used.

Thanks, Jessie. I'm happy you enjoyed it :)

Return to “Creative Original Works: Poetry”