A dark night filled with twinkling lights

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Skybreeze
Currently Reading: The Royal Secret
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skybreeze.html

Icon A dark night filled with twinkling lights

Post by Skybreeze »

It was Sunday when I shifted to a new apartment near my office. I am Akash aged 25 years lean and thin, appointed as an assistant in Telecom Office. The day was dense with dark clouds as the rain will touch the earth soon. Few of my friends helped me to carry my stuff to the 3rd floor. Walking through the corridor towards my room I can sense few eyes were staring at me through keyholes of different doors. I can hear people were shouting, some plates banging and sounds of televisions. I didn’t mind what is going on instead I was in a hurry to set my new room.

Soon it was evening and my new room was ready. Before my friends were about to leave we all shared few drinks and had a chat for a while. Within no time it was 9 pm and I was staring out the window. I can see the street lights and light of vehicles moving at their pace. It soon came to my interest that the silence of this apartment and my room was telling me something.

For a while, I wanted to listen to it and with a strike of lighting my eyes opened. I was sleeping and why was the room dark I wanted to know. I used the torch app from mobile to find the switchboard. The battery was depleting and switches of lights were on. The power was cut down and the room was filled with darkness. I went to the window to check, the street lights were off and the number of moving vehicles decreased.
Mobile was giving a warning that battery is about to die. I started to search for candle and match stick and none was found. I hate being in dark it makes me lonely and stabs me from inside. Something was banging and it was getting louder. Someone was at the door, even being as a grownup I was scared. A small amount of light can be seen from the edges of the door.

Someone must be standing there with some sort of light. Who can it be? I don’t know anyone around here. I checked my mobile it was about 11:40 and stepped slowly to open the door. Bright light could be seen but no one was standing there. I felt a push and the light was slowly entering the room. A small girl about the age of 5 or 6 was standing inside the room holding a candle and a stuffed teddy bear. She suddenly asked me “Who are you?”

Everything around me stopped for a moment and it was a horrible experience. I did not know how to react or what to say to her. Should I ask about her parents, should I look for her parents or should I wait for any who would come for her? I told her that this is my house now and I live here. She was nodding her head left and right and saying that it is her room. I was arguing with a small girl in the middle of the night and it was a horrible thing to do.

The one thing that I wanted to know was that from where she came from. I heard to loud voice rushing through the darkness from behind. Someone was calling Naina and when I looked at that girl she was trying to hide. The door was open and a young girl around 20 years entered the room. She shouted “Naina come out” I knew that she was looking for that small girl. I told her that she is hiding behind the couch.

She said that she used to live here with her parents and they died a few years ago. As she was looking for Naina she told me that every now and then Naina comes to this room to search for her parents. Those words of her pierced my heart and I wanted to know more. The young girl was pulling Naina and Naina was shouting that she will complain to her mom. Those words brought tears to my eyes.

To be continued....
constantine265
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-constantine265.html
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch

Post by constantine265 »

It sounds like a begining of an interesting story. My only suggestion is that you could spend more time developing main character (showing his feelings), allowing us to know him better and maybe describe enviroment a bit more- pace is bit to fast for my liking, although it could be just a personal prefference.
Latest Review: "(Ways to) Lucena" by Mois Benarroch
Skybreeze

Post by Skybreeze »

Thanks Constantine265 for your valuable comment.
ErikaBa123456789

Post by ErikaBa123456789 »

Ummm it was okayy not really the type of books i like, but i think if someone is into these books this would be an option
FrancisJ

Post by FrancisJ »

very interesting and can't wait to read more
Agbokhaode
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbokhaode.html

Post by Agbokhaode »

Very entertaining, educating, enlightening and emotional .
Skybreeze

Post by Skybreeze »

Thank you all for taking time and giving your valuable comments.
Masinde
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-masinde.html

Post by Masinde »

Though brief,but interesting.A good story to be made.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”