Featured Review: My Dad, My Dog by Sheila Hermel

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
GKCfan
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gkcfan.html
Latest Review: The Silent Shadow by Pat S. Clarke

Featured Review: My Dad, My Dog by Sheila Hermel

Post by GKCfan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Dad, My Dog" by Sheila Hermel.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Official Review: My Dad, My Dog, by Sheila Hermel

My Dad, My Dog is a memoir, where Sheila Hermel tells the story of how she loved and lost the titular characters. It’s a poignant love story, between the love of a daughter for her father, and the incredible comfort and joy that a canine presence can bring to one’s life. As we get to know the Hermel family, we soon become sorry that our time with Shelia’s kindly Dad is so short, and our fondness for Barney the dog mirrors our feelings for the pets of our relatives and friends, who become members of our families and circles of friends themselves.

Early on, we know full well that by the end of the book, both Shelia’s Dad and Barney will have passed away, but knowing their fates doesn’t spoil the book, so much as help us to understand Shelia’s emotional journey. Writing this book was probably a form of grief therapy for Sheila, allowing her address the emptiness that came about from two loved ones leaving her life. Despite the weighty material, the tone of this book accepts that loss is a part of life, and that grief, though real, natural, and necessary, must never dominate our lives for long.

There are many sad passages in the book, but fortunately, Hermel never lets the narrative become depressing. The prose is sweet and sincere, and as one reads the book, many scenes are peppered with humor that seems organic and never appears forced or out of place. Sheila’s Dad’s jokes are wry and clever, and a scene where the Jewish family talks about holding a “Bark Mitzvah” for Barney made me laugh.

Indeed, after reading this book, we never have any doubt that Shelia will continue her life, and that the grief will eventually continue to fade, though the love left behind will never lessen. Late in the book, Shelia writes that “Death is simply never easy,” and that fact is simple yet surprisingly profound. Many people assume that if one preplans one’s funeral, or tries to avoid a protracted demise, or if one turns one’s funeral into a big party, that such actions will make things easier and nicer for one’s loved ones. But this isn’t necessarily the case. I often hear people talk as if somehow making one’s final days and memorial services neat and tidy will solve a lot of problems, but emotions cannot be tidily set aside.

Emotional yet never manipulative, tearful yet warm, and clearly written from a perspective of affection, this book is a moving but not draining read that is a quietly joyous celebration of life and love. Yes, the price of love is eventually loss, but as the closing passages make it clear, no matter how hard it is to lose someone you love, experiencing real love in your life, be it from a spouse, a family member, or a pet, is worth it.

I give this book four out of four stars.

My Dad, My Dog
View: on Bookshelves

Like GKCfan's review? Post a comment saying so!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Wow - this sounds like it impacted you in a good way. Dealing with grief is never easy. But, as you said, love IS worth it.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Thank you, greenstripedgiraffe!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a tearjerker. My own father died about 13 years ago, so, I think I would find this book relatable. However, I was never attached to our family's dog or any of our pet for that matter, as I find it very difficult to let go when their time comes to an end. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Sheila Hermel on such an obviously well written book.
Vitadolce
Currently Reading: Mark of the Remaker
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitadolce.html

Post by Vitadolce »

Family come first.
Richard Arup Banarje
Currently Reading: My Dad, My Dog
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Richard Arup Banarje »

though i read this books few page, it seems to me that it is a story of one who lost her two loving lifetime buddy. they made a strong place in authors heart. they gave him motivation. this books reflects love for author to her father and her dog. which was given by her father.

it's a family story.everyone can read this book. will you definetly love this book. best wish to author.
Elaine5
Currently Reading: Great Expectations
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elaine5.html
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca

Post by Elaine5 »

Sounds like I should get a box of tissues, sit down and enjoy this book. Great review. Thanks for your insight.

-- 16 Mar 2017, 08:18 --

Sounds like I should get a box of tissues, sit down and enjoy this book. Great review. Thanks for your insight.
Latest Review: "The pact with the Devil" by Robert J. DeLuca
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

You're welcome, and thank you!
Mollymae
Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollymae.html
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Mollymae »

What a great review! I was a bit hesitant to read this book because I'm a dog lover and thought the text might be depressing. However, thanks to your information, I look forward to reading the book and think it actually sounds up-lifting.
Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
michelonline29
Favorite Book: The Eurasians
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelonline29.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by michelonline29 »

Losing someone we love is very hard to accept especially if that someone left so much memory in us. Maybe this story will give motivation to the readers who already experienced the same to continue living even after their loss. I also looked forward in reading this one.
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

Thank you all for your kind comments!
Shreyoshi Sen
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shreyoshi-sen.html
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam

Post by Shreyoshi Sen »

It's sad that Sheila loses both her dad and the dog. Its a beautifull story with lots of emotions. I loved your review. Thanks.
Latest Review: "Lived One Life To Save One Life" by Yong Ho Nam
GKCfan

Post by GKCfan »

You're welcome. Thank you for writing that!
A Cup of Positivity
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-cup-of-positivity.html
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by A Cup of Positivity »

It sounds like this is a refreshing and motivational story, even though it deals with such a heavy topic. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. Although it does teach us about the importance of love and isn't written in a depressing manner, I'll have to stay away from this book. I don't want to be crying (good or bad tears).
Latest Review: "Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks" by Morton E Tavel, MD
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've always been a fan of a well written memoir and your review gives me the feeling that this story is exactly that. I am glad to hear that the story is not just one of misery but one where the writer celebrates the life of her loved ones. She knows that death is never easy but still realizes that rather than cry over death, she should celebrate the life that was lived. Your review was very well written and gave me the sense that this is a memoir that I definitely need to read.
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”