The Two Armies

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
Randomgold
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randomgold.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

The Two Armies

Post by Randomgold »

The two armies gathered and arranged in matching formations. One was dressed in armor of the purest white. The other, girded in the deepest black. Soldiers, lined up in neat rows, readied their weapons for battle.

Each army was surveyed by their king. The white robed king was young and fresh. He looked over his army nervously, and eyed his enemy’s forces with caution. The leader of the black armored army on the other hand, was an old veteran. He had seen many such battles in his day, and survived all of them, even if he had not won them all. He looked in confidence at his well organized troops and breathed in the pre-battle air.

Small, simply armed soldiers lined up in front of them. The white army favored the spear for their common troop, while the black went with swords and shield. Both armies had troops that were ready to sprint forward into battle, or else march up in a more controlled formation, based on their respective king’s orders.

The alabaster king placed great hopes on these troops, ready to move them out at a moment’s notice. The ebony king knew the value of the small, simple soldiers, but he placed more hopes on those who shared a place in the formation with him.

Next to each king stood their queen. Neither king particularly wanted the women there, but they had insisted. The queens knew that no king could stand without a good woman supporting him, and it showed. One queen’s armor shone as white a fresh snow, and covered all but her porcelain skin. Her well honed saber hung at her hip, ready to be drawn at a moment’s notice.

The other queen chose to gird herself in armor with the color and luster of a fine raven’s feathers. Her deeply tanned skin showed her to be one familiar with the outdoors, much to her king’s chagrin. But, even though he did not like it, the king knew better than to deny her her hobbies. After all, one tended not to argue with someone who favored a halberd as tall as she was.

Flanking each royal family were priests, one whispering prayers for the king’s safety and the other doing the same for the queen. The common soldiers had no idea why holy men had been chosen to enter battle, nor did they know why their priestly rods had been replaced with heavy pole maces. But they also knew better than to question the desires of the royal family. That was one of the few things the two sides had in common, even if it was not much.

The cavalry was next, protecting not just the priests, but the royal family as well. The white knight’s horses scrapped the ground with their hooves, while their riders readied spears and lances for the charge. The black knights were already prepared, with riding sabers on their hips and lances in their hands. One of the mighty black steeds looked nearly ready to charge into battle right then and there, while the other stood calmly, ready for its master’s command.

Towering over both armies were mighty siege towers made of wood and stone. Those were the only things not covered almost entirely in the color of their respective armies. But, they were still covered in banners and livery of their commanders. The archers of the white towers were ready, with arrows to spare and keen eyes scoping out potential targets. The black side favored crossbows and cannons, trading speed for power, and this tactic had served the black king well for many a year.

The armies were ready. They stood waiting for the signal to start. The white-armored king took a deep breath, steeled his nerves and raised his hand high into the air. The game began.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Julie Ditton
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 031">Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts 1 & 2</a>
Currently Reading: The Bone Collection
Bookshelf Size: 792
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-ditton.html
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Julie Ditton »

I really enjoyed your story. Thank you for sharing.
"Oh honestly, don't you two read?"

-Hermione Granger in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer 's Stone
by J.K. Rowling
Latest Review: "Nightlord: Sunset" by Garon Whited
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

This is a really great story! I love descriptions you used. I can see each army vividly. Would love to see who won this battle!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Nicely done!

Why do I feel a sudden urge to play chess? *LOL*

I did something similar long ago when I described two groups of knights on the battlefield with their fair damsels looking on and shouting encouragement. I then described a furious calvary charge of knights which met in the middle of the field with great force and clamor ... and then ... a voice boomed from the heavens saying ... "First and ten on the 32 yard line."
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”