Pain by ebeth

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
ebeth
Currently Reading: The Color of Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebeth.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B0097BEFA4

Pain by ebeth

Post by ebeth »

Pain. We all have it, we have all experienced it. Sometimes we have it and don't even know it. There are all different kinds of pain. The kind when someone dies, divorce, breakup of a relationship. The body pain - a broken bone, sprained ankle, burning sensation within the skin, and a severe pain that can't get rid of.

What if your life reflected so much of pain that it's all you rely on? For example, for someone with depression, anxiety, fear, frustration, and loneliness. Have you ever felt what the would be like. Have you ever been in that position to feel that way?

There is a happy world out there we all know it. It's sad to know the happiness doesn't last as long as pain does. If you stop to think about it, we feel pain more then happiness. Happiness only lasts for a short while. It's kind of like the angel and the devil. An angel is trying to conquer the devil to take the pain away for as long as she can, but the devil wins over.

What would the world be like without pain? Would everyone be happy all the time? Can their be such a thing as dancing, laughter, no drama and no fighting?

It would be like yellow daisy flowers all over the place to bring a bright smile to everyone's face. Wouldn't it just be wonderful to get rid of that pain? Go away pain, Go away and never come back!! We don't like you!
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
cjohns105
Currently Reading: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cjohns105.html
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali

Post by cjohns105 »

Thank you for posting this. I really loved the line, "It's sad to know the happiness doesn't last as long as pain does." It is something that I don't think enough people are willing to admit to themselves. There is a lot to be said in here about the realities of sympathy and empathy; why do we feel this way? what is the purpose behind doing something like empathizing with another person.

There are a few errors in punctuation, spelling, and grammar. But I think the point of the piece is more about the process of introspection, rather than the result of it.
Latest Review: "The bible's last message to a dying world" by Khurshid ali
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I am reminded of the novel Being There by Jerzy Kosinski which was later made into a movie staring Peter Sellers. The final line of the movie is: "Life is a state of mind." How true that is!

There are so many times happiness stares us in the face but we are oblivious to it. Just today, I was at a large grocery store which was filled to capacity with customers. An old and rather short lady with a frown on her face was trying to reach a packages of sausages which were too high up for her to grasp. I went over to her took down the package and handed it to her. She then wordlessly took my arm, looked me in the eyes and presented me with a beautiful smile. I had been rather annoyed by the crush of people in the store prior to this incident, but suddenly I felt HaPpY. Often we create happiness for ourselves by recognizing the happiness of others.

There is indeed enough pain to go around, but life also dispenses happiness. It is up to us to recognize it and let it in when it comes.

Life is a state of mind.

Thank you ebeth. Though your contribution is more of an essay than a story it caused me to stop and think of all the things I have to be happy about. The happy things are big bullies who watch my back and push all the pain right out of my thoughts.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by Sandra Bollock
"Life is a series of disastrous moments, painful moments, unexpected moments, and things that will break your heart. And in between those moments, that's when you savor, savor, savor."
This quote has stuck with me ever since I read it the first time, years ago.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”