Diamond in the Sky

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
ZandraLynn
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandralynn.html

Icon Diamond in the Sky

Post by ZandraLynn »

Sweat trickled down his bronze face while he dug another hole. For the last three hours he had been planting Julia's favorite flower down her walkway as a present to come home to. Julia is George Henson's neighbor and best friend. Most people say they are secret lovers, but other's say they have only been companions since childhood. Today Julia is coming home from Texas. She has two grandchildren that live there with her son. Her son has been in the military for the last five years so she has only seen them one other time since he left. It has been three months since Julia left and to be honest George had no idea how to spend his spare time. Normally he would be on Julia's porch making her laugh while sipping afternoon tea. Occasionally he would show off his gardening while she talked to the birds.
Julia seemed to be all he could think about and at 60 years old there had only been two other women in his life. His mother who had passed away years before and his baby sister who took off young and never returned. I guess you could say he hasn't made an effort to tell Julia how he felt for fear she wouldn't feel the same way and he would be alone...until today.
Julia's son was adopted at the age of thirteen. Julia, never having a man of her own felt sorry for orphans and took a big step by adopting Thomas, her son. Besides, she needed the muscle and the company.
Anyway, back to the story.
George stood up, stretched his back, and wiped his brow before picking up his gloves and wandering back to his house to change. This was going to be perfect. After fifty-two years he planned to make Julia an offer. An offer so outrageous he was struggling to choose between suits. It had to be perfect. It had to be something she could refuse to turn down.
With the ring in his pocket he grinned in the mirror letting his wrinkles show, his blue eyes revealing secrets of his youth. After combing over what was left of his hair,he found his way through the house peeking at his reflection every chance he had. One outside he turned to lock his door when a car pulled up to Julia's; not just a car, but, a Taxi. The driver was removing bags out of the trunk when Julia stepped out of the back seat and smiled at the flowers George had planted in two perfect rows.
"Julia! You're home!" George exclaimed while hurrying down the walkway towards her.
"Yes, my flight came in early, these flowers are wonderful, thank you George." While studying her he noticed the change in her face over time. Her hair beginning to thin and her face softer than her younger years. She was delicate and he was moved by her beauty.
With his plans being thrown off, he forgot about the ring in his pocket, he also forgot he was dressed in a suit that was quite obvious he hadn't worn in years.
"Why are you wearing that?" she asked with a raised eyebrow and question in her voice.
"Well my dear friend, I learned something in my long life..." hesitating he made something up," You look good, you feel good my dear."
With a giggle,"Well then George, you look nice," she replied. "Won't you come hear about my adventure?"

While sipping tea and Julia going on and on about her trip he must have missed a question because she said his name three times before he broke out of his trance.
"I'm sorry I didn't know sooner George; I know your probably upset, but I just cant keep this place up alone any longer and by doing this I'll be able to spend time with the grandchildren."
"What was that, Julia? I'm sorry I must have baked in the sun a little too long today."
Disappointed, Julia repeated her story of how her son was having her come live in Texas with him and they were going to be selling her house. Stunned George stared at her in disbelief. The ring in his pocket weighed a million pounds now. He wanted to offer his home to her and the spend the rest of their lives together. He was originally going to let her decide which house they would live in and expand their family with a dog. He was crushed, it was too late.
A week later, the ring still in his pocket he helped Julia hammer the for sale sign in her front yard. Her bags were in the taxi and she was picking a flower off the walkway to take with her on her forever journey.
With a quick peck on the cheek, and his fingers froze around the ring in his pocket, she was gone. The taxi was a blur at the end of the street. It took him a few minutes to realize he was waiting time before he was calling his own Taxi.
Searching the airport for the right gate he felt relieved when he saw people still sitting under the gate that read TEXAS. Scanning the crowed he saw no Julia. She was gone. He was too late... Fifty-two years too late.
"George? Is that you?" Her sweet voice came from behind him. He turned around slowly and touched her tender, rosy cheeks." Marry me my dear. Make me the happiest man in the world."
She simply smiled, a single tear ran down her cheek. He pulled the ring out and she simply closed his fingers around the ring, leaving it in his hand. The announcer called her to board the plane.
"George, I'm going to Texas, my son needs me."
" I thought this is what you wanted." he said surprised and hurt.
She laughed loudly with a smile on her face. "George, we've been married for over fifty years, it's time for me to go." Confused he asked her what she meant. Looking at the line getting shorter she replied," You will always be my 'lucky charm." He smiled and walked her to the gate. She was gone.
Fifty years ago in a box of Lucky Charms was a plastic ring that his sister wanted, but they agreed that if he did her chores he would be able to keep it. He was so excited to give it to the neighbor girl (Julia) and from then on, they were soul mates.... happily married. Now as he looks out the window as her plane disappears into the clouds he realizes, that she was worth more than any diamond ring he could offer, she herself, was a diamond in the sky.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Very nicely written @ZandraLynn. I enjoyed reading this very much. I liked the simple style you employed which told the story without a lot of flourishes. I must confess that I was hoping Julia had the same thought and was returning to George thus accounting for her absence at the airport. I had the briefest thought that George would return home dejected only to find Julia sitting on her porch waiting for him .... fade to blue skies; but your ending, though sad, was also very good. Also, when you mentioned Julia saying "We've been married for fifty years." it opened the door to many possibilities. Was George suffering from dementia and forgotten that he was to follow her on a later flight? (this does not fit with the other data so I immediately dismissed it) What could she have meant by that? That simple statement was a shocker at that point of the story, but then you explained the charm symbolizing their "pretend", childhood marriage. LOTS OF MENTAL ACROBATICS GOING ON ON MY END AT THAT POINT which is also the mark of good writing, especially in a short story ... keep them guessing! *LOL*

Thank you so much for sharing your work with us and I hope you will write more for us to read. [:- )
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Sean Bracken
Currently Reading: The World After
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sean-bracken.html

Post by Sean Bracken »

I love this story ZandraLynn. It was simple and honest and very moving. As a single man in my sixties my heart went out to George and like DATo I half suspected senile dementia but your ending was perfect. The fact that they were childhood sweethearts and lifelong friends was touching.
ZandraLynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandralynn.html

Post by ZandraLynn »

Thank you so much guys. I never really know what to do with some of the inspirations that come my way, but this particular story was inspired by a couple I saw holding hands in a restaurant I wrote the draft on the backside of the place mat at the table.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”