"Merlyn's Revenge"

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
CSM-writer
Currently Reading: The Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csm-writer.html
Reading Device: B00IZ1XVAC

Icon "Merlyn's Revenge"

Post by CSM-writer »

When my husband and I got Merlyn, our black, short-haired female feline, we were picking her out of a litter of eight week old kittens to be the family cat. She was one of only two kittens left that a couple was giving away for free. Merlyn was the cutest little furry black thing and, as a bonus, already litter trained. We have several pictures of her as a kitten because she was the new baby of our family and kittens are the funniest source of cheap entertainment next to babies. In one photo we have of her, she is laying on her side, sleeping on the couch, and appears to be playing the air guitar. In another photo she is watching as if in a trance, a Michael Jackson “Just Dance” video while my best friend and I followed along to the dance routine. We have yet another photo of her in which she is a little older, but sleeping on top of the couch. I named the photo “Cat go Splat” because that’s exactly how she looked, like roadkill.

Merlyn is a lot of things. First and foremost, she is named after our favorite wizard, and possibly the only wizard I actually know the name of, but with a feminine touch. She will mock you with her looks, she will give you the cold shoulder, she thinks she runs the household, she’s a “daddy’s girl”, and she’s a bit of a picky eater as she refuses to eat cheap cat food, canned cat food, or table scraps. Well, one night, she tried to push her luck… with me.

----------------

Flipping cat! This was my angry thought early one morning when my husband’s beloved feline thought it time for me to get up for the day. I don’t actually think she was aiming on waking me up. I just happened to be sleeping in the place she wanted to lay down. I use an alarm clock to wake up as I normally start my day around five in the morning, but I prefer an alarm that makes an obnoxious noise, not a “bonk” in the head. My husband and I were in bed as it was the middle of the night and I was in the midst of some kind of dream while my husband was more than likely snoring away in dreamland. Well, the next thing I know, something big, heavy, and furry lands on my head. Merlyn appeared to have jumped from the top of our dresser to the top of our loft bed and she was aiming for my pillows. She really likes “my” pillows.

After I was rudely awakened; she scattered away from my pillows, then nonchalantly walked across the bed to the ladder, and before jumping down, she gave me one final dirty, disgusted look and went on her merry way. Actually, she seemed to give me this look as if she wasn’t expecting my head to be on my pillows in the middle of the night, but down the ladder and out the bedroom door into the dark living room she went. By this time I was awake enough to glance at the clock on our dresser. It was three in the morning.

In the midst of all this, I managed to accidently wake my husband up too. When he realized what had occurred, he couldn’t help but to shake his head and laugh, but he did make sure I was okay before doing so. I was okay, but I wasn’t impressed.

Merlyn and I since then have agreed to let that night go and forget about it. She still thinks that she has the run of our home, but she’s not trying to replace my alarm clock anymore.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

Nicely written, humorous and totally believable. Well done!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
CSM-writer
Currently Reading: The Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csm-writer.html
Reading Device: B00IZ1XVAC

Post by CSM-writer »

Thank you DATo :)

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”