Feeling Out of Place

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
OTelia35
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-otelia35.html

Feeling Out of Place

Post by OTelia35 »

Have you ever felt different? Felt out-of-place? Or felt conflicted with many corrupted views polluting this world? That is how I feel today and most days of my life. Like I was born in a world that I do not belong. A world based on corruption, cruelty, and greed. Born in a society where slavery is still real but hidden by another term “job.” For the sake of acquiring money we, as a society, are forced to get a low-paying and uninterested job, pay taxes, and live in substandard lifestyle or neighborhoods. And never truly discover our full potential.

Corporations and institutions like businesses and governments has gotten us, humans, so blind and brainwash, that most people believe that we must have money to live and survive. I hate thinking that way, because this corrupted teachings is hindering me from reaching my full potential. I hate the thought that I have to compete, lie, or steal to protect my life or ensure the prospects of my future. This is not the teachings of Earth and nature.

We are the only species out of many who is rapidly destroying our own planet. For what? Money. We kill other species for money. We destroy other countries for money. We corrupt our own children for money? And we call ourselves civilize. Based on what? The money system, family values, government, religious beliefs? Or is it because we have the capacity to think and communicate with each other through the written or verbal word? If Nature or Earth could talk, they would say that humans are the most savage species on this planet. As the way things are going, I would rather live in the savage world of nature, then live in this corrupted, cruel, and ‘civilized’ world. At least, I know where I stand with nature. In this civilized world, I am lost, out-of-place and confuse. How do you feel?
CSM-writer
Currently Reading: The Soldier
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-csm-writer.html
Reading Device: B00IZ1XVAC

Post by CSM-writer »

You make a lot of good points here. I also want to say that I like what you've written about and how you view things in relation to the topic. Your writing reminds me of my own writing.
Now, to answer your question at the end...the biggest problem I have with the world is its government and we all know how twisted that can get...

Great way to make us think about things!
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

I feel your pain. The world can be a very bad place and it is human beings who make it that way.

I read somewhere that men first domesticated animals about 80,000 years ago. Then in the year 0 we find Romans building aqueducts and roads. In other words it took 80,000 years from putting cows in pens to building aqueducts. It then took a mere 1969 years from building aqueducts to putting a man on the moon. The point I am trying to make is that modern man became modern man very, very quickly. Our technology has surpassed our basic, primal, animal instincts for individual greed and power by leaps and bounds.

We are still Cro-Magnon Man. This is not meant as a pejorative but a fact. Our technologies, forms of government, economics and general lifestyles give us the illusion that we are more advanced than prehistoric man, but actually the opposite is true. Scientists believe that prehistoric man was, on average, much smarter than we are. He needed to be smarter to survive in the unsympathetic environment he found himself in. Those who were stupid did stupid things and died so the "smart" gene prospered through propagation and the "stupid" gene died off. This was part of natural selection, but smart does not necessarily mean moral as we would define morality.

I have mentioned on this board before that it is a sobering thought to consider that in addition to being intelligent all of our far distant ancestors were among the most murderous, thieving, rapacious and "immoral" humanoids who ever lived ... if they hadn't been we wouldn't be here because that's what it took to survive and those genes prospered as well. Man's technology and mode of living has advanced because a very few special people over human history created technological inventions, forms of government and law, and forms of trade. The VAST majority of the estimated 100,000,000,000 (that's billion) people who have ever lived simply used what the "special" people gave us but the rest were, down at the bone, still little more than savage animals. They were then, and we are today.

Is it any wonder then why we see so much tyranny, greed, immorality and corruption even among the world's civic leaders, religious leaders or just about anyone you'd care to name? As William Golding said in Lord Of The Flies when explaining to Simon the nature of the beast ... "I'm close. I am part of you. I am the reason it's no go."

I did not will the fingers of my hands into existence, it took millions of years of evolutionary attrition to create them, as it took millions of years for us to psychologically become what we are, and unfortunately, we are not going to change any time soon. Lurking silently just below the surface of our confident pseudo sophistication lies the face of the beast.

/
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”