It All Depends Upon Your Point Of View

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

by

DATo

Melvin Abercrombie was a contented man. He was happy with his employment at ACME Pastries were he was employed as a master baker, and when he wasn’t working he enjoyed participating in a variety of amusements to pass the time. On this balmy Saturday morning Melvin could be observed leisurely walking down Mulberry Avenue on his way to the strip mall on the edge of his neighborhood. Melvin had a purchase to make and he was aware ..... he was aware ..... he was ....

Wait a minute, wait a minute, hold the show. What’s going on here? I don’t know any Abercrombie. What? Who are you? The author? What’s your name? DATo? I don’t know any DATo. What the hell kind of name is that anyhow? What am I doing in this story? Well, of COURSE I’m the narrator, Jonathan P. Narrator to be precise. I come from a long line of distinguished Narrators. My great, great, great, great grandfather was the narrator of The Canterbury Tales I’ll have you know. No! I will NOT continue with the story till I get some answers. Who do you think you are bossing around anyway? Insubordination? WHAT! You can’t demote me. I am registered with the Narrator’s Guild as a Third Person Omniscient narrator. I worked hard for that rank and I’m not going to sit here and ... wait ... wait ... NOT SECOND-PERSON-LIMITED ... NO ... DON’T DO IT! ... STOP!

Melvin and I had planned to meet at the pet store on Lexington Street to buy feed for our parakeets, but why Melvin insisted on wanting to meet at this early hour I could not guess. For some odd reason I am led to suspect that Melvin has something else on the agenda of which he has not informed me. I suppose I could ask the author of this ridiculous story to tell me but he is such an unreasonable ass that I doubt ....

No, no, no ... I didn’t mean it Mr. DATo. It just slipped out. Well, I was upset and ... Huh? ... You wouldn’t! You couldn’t! Can’t we talk this over? Would it help if I said I was sorry? Oh my God NO ... not that! Not FIRST-PERSON-DIALOUGUE. HAVE MERCY!!!

Hello, I’m Melvin Abercrombie and I’m on my way to buy some bird seed. I would just love to tell you about my pet parakeet and to describe him in the exact manner which the author of this story wishes me to, without complaint and cheerfully.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
LitChick90
Currently Reading: Meaning of Truth
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-litchick90.html
Latest Review: "Chicago Law" by Joseph A. Garofalo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by LitChick90 »

I quite like this.

I love meta-posts. And this is very meta with the most subtle showing, not telling. It's a great synthesis of explaining examples ever so cleverly.

10/10. For Cheekiness.
Latest Review: "Chicago Law" by Joseph A. Garofalo
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Many thanks @LitChick90. I honestly don't know what possessed me to write this story. I was in a silly, flip mood. Some mischievous muse must have seeped into my psyche when I wasn't looking *LOL*

Once again, thanks for the response. [:- )
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
MsMartha
Currently Reading: Collected Works of Algernon Blackwood (Unabridged)
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msmartha.html
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by MsMartha »

I really enjoyed this!
Latest Review: "9 Realities of Caring for an Elderly Parent" by Stefania Shaffer
ZandraLynn
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zandralynn.html

Post by ZandraLynn »

I found this interesting. I got completely lost and had to read it like three times, but nice!
ameliahulse

Post by ameliahulse »

I loved this amazing post.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”