Ramblings of Shadows.

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
poppletron
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppletron.html

Ramblings of Shadows.

Post by poppletron »

The shadows won’t leave me alone. They follow me around and they taunt me. My family is gone now consumed by the shadows. I’ve tried to tell people, but they won’t listen. I’ve tried everything prescribed to be by those crackpot doctors, but it just doesn’t work they still here they won’t leave

There are more of them than there ever was. I don’t know what to do any more, I tried to ignore them, but that isn’t an option anymore there are too many now.

Today one of them spoke to me, it was brief but those words still remain. It told me that I was special. I don’t want to be special, I just want to be normal. I want them to go away, so I can be normal again. I just want to be normal is that to much to ask for?

They want me to do things, horrible things. I don’t want to do it, but they won’t let me sleep until I do. Please forgive me for what I must do. Oh I beg of you, forgive me.

What have I done? What have they made me do? How many people have to die before they are satisfied?

I don’t know any more. I must be punished for my sins, but they won’t let me. I have tried planting evidence with each act, but it’s like it’s not even there. How can this be happening to me?

I hate the man that I have become, the man they made me. I have forgotten most of my life before… all this. For time to time I see faces in my head. I think that they were the faces of my family if I ever had one that is. If I did have a family once I wouldn’t want them to me now. I would want them to remember the me as the man that I have forgotten, the man before that shadows.

The days have molded together who knows how long it has been since the darkness entered my life. The need and want for sleep has been diminishing. The only thing I do now is what they tell me to do I don’t fight it anymore, I just try to grasp at what’s left of me. Sometimes I wonder if there are others like me, force to work for beings that they can only see, but I doubt it.

Sometimes I can remember what my name was before, but it has little to no purpose to me now, as I am losing my humanity. My hands have been soaked in blood. I have ended so many lives that only a hideous monster remains in place of the man. Death doesn’t even really phase me anymore. I can’t stop, for there is nothing left in this world for me except for the shadows’ never ending calling. I think I’ll be doing this till I’m nothing more than bones.

I have stopped sleeping entirely, eating as well. I feel empty inside, an emptiness that is impossible to fill. The shadows are slowly leaving as I need less and less of a push to keep me on going. I can’t be saved, and even if someone could save me and called for me by name over and over again, I would do nothing for I would not know who they called for. I know not who I am, and honestly I don’t want to know because the man who had friends, a family, and a great many things would not want to know me.

All the shadows are gone. I will continue on with this calling that no man can, for no man am I or ever was. There was no man before the shadows. I know now that there must be death in this world there would no renewal, no life worth living, and no humanity. I will go forth on the path that has been set for me. I will go to the harvest sickle in hand, for I am the Reaper.
PuckADoodle
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puckadoodle.html

Post by PuckADoodle »

Wow, this was such a good idea. Watching the transformation of the man until he became the one pushing himself to kill instead of the shadows.... Well done.
karolinka
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karolinka.html
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by karolinka »

This is a good story! You have a great beginning to dark fantasy or horror here. You said in the story that the shadows are leaving finally. I'd like to know why they left so suddenly since they seemed to have plagued him for a long time? Great writing!
"How to be a writer. Step one: Write."
- A. Beauchamp.
Latest Review: "Loose Threads" by J. O. Quantaman
versetab
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by versetab »

Very good title. Creative. I like as its written in first person as well. Good story all together

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”