The Chase

Use this forum to post short stories that you have written. This is for getting comments and constructive feedback. This is for original, creative works. You must post the actual text, no links.
kszolusha22
Bookshelf Size: 0

The Chase

Post by kszolusha22 »

Run. Run. Run. Run. Danger behind. Pain. Run. Run. Safe, need safe. Somewhere. Run. Still behind. Danger. Danger. Can’t go home. Babies are home. LOUD NOISE. Birds squak… Pain, pain. PAIN. ANGER. PAIN. Growl, Growwwwl. Growl. Hurt. Lick. Leg. Run. Run. PAIN. PAIN. Pain. Pain. Pain. Limp, run, get under cover. Woods. Pain. Woods. Home. Hurt. Limping. LOUD NOISE. HURT PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN PAIN Lay down. Can’t move. Tired. Pain. Losing breath. PAIN. Tired. Babies. Home. Sad. Pain. Sad. Pain. Pain. Tired. Pain. So tired. Tired tired tired. Sleep. Pain. Whimper. Struggle. Can’t move. Pain. Sleep.

The man with the smoking gun leans down over the dead body of the fox. “Yep, got him fer sure now. Took two damn shots but I got ‘em.”

“Looks like it’s a she, Brad. Y’ gotcherself a girl fox. Not a bad pelt though. Y’coulda probably got something good fer it if you didn’t put a damn hole right in the middle of ‘er though!” They laughed and the man who shot her slung her over his shoulder and carried her to the truck.

Back at the den, the kits were getting hungry.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month

Post by DATo »

Very nice. The first paragraph reminded me a lot of Kafka's short story, The Burrow.

I am in no way trying to criticize the architecture of your story, it is well written, I might just suggest that you not include the conversation of the humans but rather just describe their actions. This would have the psychological effect of keeping the reader in the domain of the animal and present the presence of the humans as a sort of alien intrusion into that domain.

Well done!
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
zaynab_m
Favorite Author: J. K. Rowling
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 0734">Anne of Green Gables</a>
Currently Reading: Rilla of Ingleside
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zaynab-m.html
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael

Post by zaynab_m »

Wow! Good short story, I enjoyed it. I like the way you tell the fox's thoughts.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
Latest Review: "Countdown the reckoning" by Ashley Michael
Muggy_Maggy
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-muggy-maggy.html

Post by Muggy_Maggy »

Write more! This was amazing! I love short stories but I always want more from the good ones. I'd love to read more of your work!
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Vermont Reviews »

Look forward to reading more of your writing. Keep up the good work.
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
moderntimes
Favorite Author: James Joyce
Favorite Book: Ulysses by James Joyce
Currently Reading: Grendel by John Gardner
fav_author_id: 2516

Post by moderntimes »

Nice little story.

One tech note: Guns don't smoke, haven't for about a century. It's called smokeless powder for a reason.
"Ineluctable modality of the visible..."
rossallen
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rossallen.html

Post by rossallen »

I didn't like that you included the human element to the story at all. Including the dialogue and the information about the humans takes away from the animal survival instinct part of the story. Instead, elaborate on the actual escape of the fox and any maneuvers a fox might use to get away from a hunter, not just any thoughts that the fox might be having while being hunted.
KatherineEWall
Currently Reading: What We All Have
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherineewall.html

Post by KatherineEWall »

[quote="DATo"]Very nice. The first paragraph reminded me a lot of Kafka's short story, The Burrow.

I am in no way trying to criticize the architecture of your story, it is well written, I might just suggest that you not include the conversation of the humans but rather just describe their actions. This would have the psychological effect of keeping the reader in the domain of the animal and present the presence of the humans as a sort of alien intrusion into that domain.

Well done![/quote

I agree with this. I think even if you could keep it in the fox's perspective. She could be barely alive, snapping weakly as they pick her up. Then her last thought could be the kits. I love the way you began it. I knew by the way you constructed it that it was either a fox, wolf or wild dog. You could hear the panting in the sentence structure.

I enjoyed it.
PuckADoodle
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-puckadoodle.html

Post by PuckADoodle »

It's amazing how much the imagination can conjure up after reading small sentences like you wrote for the first paragraph. I think the idea of having an animal's perspective in the story is a good idea. Good job.
versetab

Post by versetab »

Want more. Really nice piece. Want to see what happens after he carries the fox.

Return to “Creative Original Works: Short Stories”