Your Miniatures

Discuss the February 2015 book of the month, The Miniaturist by Jessie Burton.
amybo82
Favorite Author: David Sedaris
Favorite Book: cannot pick just one
Currently Reading: Calypso
Bookshelf Size: 1517
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amybo82.html
Latest Review: The Adventures of The Gorilla Billies by Mark J Stopford
Reading Device: B00TA9FD2M
Publishing Contest Votes: 17
fav_author_id: 2790

Your Miniatures

Post by amybo82 »

As I was reading, I pictured the dollhouses I've seen on display in museums and at friends' houses. I also thought about what I would want in my own cabinet. I would definitely have my immediate family, my pets, and probably some cousins, aunts, uncles, and grandparents. For furniture, I would want a dining table and chairs, a couple of beds, and a couch. For accessories, I'd definitely give everyone cell phones, and there'd be a few computers, a television, and definitely three or four loaded bookshelves! Someone once gave me a miniature version (about 1 inch by 3/4 inch) of Poe's The Raven, and it's one of my favorite things! I would love to have volumes and volumes of tiny books!

So, what would be in your cabinet?
A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. –Neil Gaiman
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Like you I would have my family, my dog, furniture, pc and loaded bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
CataclysmicKnight
Favorite Book: Ready Player One
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1693
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cataclysmicknight.html
Latest Review: Simple Man Simple Message by Mark Dobosz

Post by CataclysmicKnight »

It would be hard for me to want one just like our house or any I've lived in... If I could do anything, it'd have a huge game room with every game console ever!

If I did have one like the book, in that it was identical to reality (or at least almost...) it would have to include myself and my fiancée, cell phones, tablet, a stack of broken laptops, tv with video games and hordes of movies... The 8 other people who live here... It'd be fun to arrange everyone lol
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Norma_Rudolph
Favorite Author: Mary Stewart
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =4245">The Gift of Lies</a>
Currently Reading: Enchantment
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-norma-rudolph.html
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
fav_author_id: 10582

Post by Norma_Rudolph »

Definitely would have shelves of books, family, friends, comfy chairs.
I used to build cardboard doll houses when I was kid. It was a wonderful escape into wish world, sort of like reading a book.
Latest Review: "Desolate" by Stephanie Binding
CataclysmicKnight
Currently Reading:

Norma_Rudolph wrote:Definitely would have shelves of books, family, friends, comfy chairs.
I used to build cardboard doll houses when I was kid. It was a wonderful escape into wish world, sort of like reading a book.
Cardboard doll houses, that's awesome! You're like a hipster miniaturist, you did it before it was cool
Lisalovecraft
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalovecraft.html
Latest Review: "A Devil of a Time" by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Lisalovecraft »

I think it would be scary to have little miniatures of me and my family! I've seen to many movies about creepy dolls coming to life! I would like a miniature of my dog, though. I think I would like miniatures of RPG characters that I and my friends have played.
CataclysmicKnight
Currently Reading:

Lisalovecraft wrote:I think it would be scary to have little miniatures of me and my family! I've seen to many movies about creepy dolls coming to life! I would like a miniature of my dog, though. I think I would like miniatures of RPG characters that I and my friends have played.
RPG minis!!!!! You're totally speaking my language!
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

CataclysmicKnight wrote:
Hah! Yes!! :icon-mrgreen: Wouldn't be awesome to have your characters immortalized in personalized mini form? I think it would be a great memento of good campaigns.
I don't know if we have any more room for minis honestly, the dining room has been literally overtaken by my husband and son's warhammer 40k figures! I think those things multiply over night.
CataclysmicKnight
Currently Reading:

Lisalovecraft wrote:
CataclysmicKnight wrote:
Hah! Yes!! :icon-mrgreen: Wouldn't be awesome to have your characters immortalized in personalized mini form? I think it would be a great memento of good campaigns.
I don't know if we have any more room for minis honestly, the dining room has been literally overtaken by my husband and son's warhammer 40k figures! I think those things multiply over night.
Well, they probably do get bored at night when no one is playing with em or paying em any attention...

And yes, it absolutely would be awesome! I could just see them hinting at things to come, too... "Why is my warrior suddenly headless???"
Lisalovecraft

Post by Lisalovecraft »

CataclysmicKnight wrote:
Well, they probably do get bored at night when no one is playing with em or paying em any attention...

And yes, it absolutely would be awesome! I could just see them hinting at things to come, too... "Why is my warrior suddenly headless???"

yess!!

:D
Janiac02
Favorite Author: Sarah Woodbury
Favorite Book: Pride and Prejudice
Currently Reading: After Cilmeri Series
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janiac02.html
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
fav_author_id: 3314

Post by Janiac02 »

Norma_Rudolph wrote:Definitely would have shelves of books, family, friends, comfy chairs.
I love this! My dad added an extra room in our attic when I was in 3rd or 4th grade, and there was a pretty large pile of wood scraps left over. My step-sister and I used to spend hours stacking the blocks into barbie houses. I'm sure they weren't nearly as intricate as we thought they were, but we had a blast, and to my recollection we got no slivers :-)

If I were to order pieces, they would probably not reflect reality. I am Halloween-obsessed, so I would make a miniature haunted house, I think.

Reality would include several miniature cats and a dog, miscellaneous video game systems, the four people living in my house, and various mismatching and well-worn pieces of furniture.
Latest Review: "A Cold Wind" by C. J. Brightley
zeldas_lullaby
Favorite Author: ---------
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3452">The Thorn Birds</a>
Currently Reading: The Last Stonestepper
Bookshelf Size: 79
Signature Addition: View official OnlineBookClub.org review of Forever Twelve

Post by zeldas_lullaby »

I love seeing all the dollhouses at the state fair each August. I too recall building a cardboard dollhouse from a kit when I was in 7th grade. It came complete with little cardboard bunnies and furniture and stairs and everything. I loved that, and I miss it--haven't seen it in decades, of course.

And, no, the little bunnies did not come to life at night! But somehow, there were four to start with, and over time, there were, like, twenty of them. I don't know how that happened...
rosmith
Currently Reading: Forever Twelve
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by rosmith »

Can I have a miniature forest with a cabin and river instead of just a house? :D
randolphfine
Favorite Author: Bernard Cornwell
Favorite Book: For Whom the Bell Tolls
Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randolphfine.html
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
fav_author_id: 3083

Post by randolphfine »

Though I read the book and got a good idea of these miniature houses, I never fully grasped it until just now. I Googled it after reading this post and was rather awed. The detailed is more impressive than I first imagined. I can only imagine a miniature of my own house and just how much would have to be in it. The toys of one toddler would flow from one room to another much like the post house in Terry Pratchett's Going Postal. My wife's scrapbook room with its millions of items would be overwhelming. And then there would be my own space: A secluded office with a desk and a few books. Quite possibly the eye within the hurricane.
Latest Review: "Bulldog" by Joe DeCicco
glassfable5
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glassfable5.html

Post by glassfable5 »

Bookcases filled with tiny books would be lovely. I too would want my family and pets and tiny accessories. I used to play with miniatures when I was little. I remember my grandma had a glass cabinet full of miniature things and she would let me play with them whenever I came to her house. I was always very careful with them. But the one thing that I never came across were little bookcases full of tiny books. If could I would have that.

Return to “"The Miniaturist" by Jessie Burton”